Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

2" risers on toilet stools

Has anyone had the 2" risers installed or added as a new option on their Newmar coach? Since the wife and I both have hip/knee problems I thought maybe even a meager 2" might help some getting up but was wondering whether or not a platform like that under the stool would look very nice, practical, or maybe even be in the way. It's currently been added to my special option list but keep thinking maybe I've made a mistake and should just call to get it deleted.
Are these risers plastic or china like the bowls? They are listed in CW's catalog but no description.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
Call and make an inquiry as to how the installation will look. I doubt you are the first to ask for this to be done.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are times when you see the toilet built up on a box type platform, 4-5", in most cases it was for a offset riser to toilet when black tank was not below the toilet location.
There is nothing to stop them from building a platform directly over tank for owners specifications of need.
The platform would be tiled or what ever the floor covering might be.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure what coach you are getting and the toilet used, but there may be just a toilet riser that sit under the toilet without having to build a box around it. Here is a link from Camping World for on from Thetford.
Thetford Toilet Riser-Bone - Thetford 24818 - Toilet Accessories - Camping World
Good luck.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I would just purchase a taller commode. Those risers are plastic. You will have 2 seals to be involved with, also
Old 01-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #6

Depending available space, maybe look a smaller grab bars/handles. A little leverage goes a long way.
Tom
Old 01-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Has anyone had the 2" risers installed or added as a new option on their Newmar coach? Since the wife and I both have hip/knee problems I thought maybe even a meager 2" might help some getting up but was wondering whether or not a platform like that under the stool would look very nice, practical, or maybe even be in the way. It's currently been added to my special option list but keep thinking maybe I've made a mistake and should just call to get it deleted.
Are these risers plastic or china like the bowls? They are listed in CW's catalog but no description.

Assuming it is the standard riser supplied by the toilet manufacturer, it is plastic (which is quite strong), not intrusive, and helps quite a bit in ease of getting up/down. As Ernie has suggested, you may want to inquire about a tall/high-profile toilet which has a floor to rim height of 17 1/2 inches. In homes they are normally called "chair height".

Aqua Magic Style II
Old 01-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

I'll call Newmar Monday to see if they can tell me the heighth of the stools they normally install and also what risers they have available. The stool in my current coach measures about the same as the house, approx 16 1/2" so another 3" would be very good. Surely they don't use anything shorter. I think a platform covered with the same flooring would look much better than just a plastic riser.

Can anyone with their DS available be able to measure the height of their stool?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'll call Newmar Monday to see if they can tell me the heighth of the stools they normally install and also what risers they have available. The stool in my current coach measures about the same as the house, approx 16 1/2" so another 3" would be very good. Surely they don't use anything shorter. I think a platform covered with the same flooring would look much better than just a plastic riser.

Can anyone with their DS available be able to measure the height of their stool?
Keep in mind that a toilet is a hard surface and not a cushioned chair. 19 1/2 inches is quite tall. You may want to sit on a hard surface chair and add some hard material (like magazines) until you get to 19 1/2 inches and see how that feels when you get up .... typically, for tall people, 18 or so is about right. Short people may have their feet off the ground. I'm 6'3" with a 33 inch trouser inseam and 17 1/2 - 18 inches is comfortable. My wife is 5'6" and 17 1/2" is a reach (toes touch the floor but her feet are not flat). You need your feet pretty flat to rise from a sitting position.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
In another thread Scott posted the Dometic toilet for a new DSDP, it's 17.5" high.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #11

Because you'll be getting a Dometic macerator toilet, there will be no issues with gasketing, so ANYTHING that will raise the height will work. Newmar will likely build you a higher platform and tile it...no problem, other than check to see if there's enough room for your body/feet to maneuver in there. So many of these half baths only have "airplane" bath type space so a platform could limit your movements.

Personally, I like your idea. My last coach had a 4 in. Platform and I loved it, but the DW found it too high for her shorter legs. So a verification of heights will be necessary.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Keep in mind that a toilet is a hard surface and not a cushioned chair. 19 1/2 inches is quite tall. You may want to sit on a hard surface chair and add some hard material (like magazines) until you get to 19 1/2 inches and see how that feels when you get up .... typically, for tall people, 18 or so is about right. Short people may have their feet off the ground. I'm 6'3" with a 33 inch trouser inseam and 17 1/2 - 18 inches is comfortable. My wife is 5'6" and 17 1/2" is a reach (toes touch the floor but her feet are not flat). You need your feet pretty flat to rise from a sitting position.
bruceisla,
I'm also 6'3". Have arthritis in both knees and hips. My wife is 5'10". We have the 17 1/2" toilets at home. It is already a struggle at that height. I would be very happy with it raised to 19 1/2"
Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kend51 View Post
bruceisla,
I'm also 6'3". Have arthritis in both knees and hips. My wife is 5'10". We have the 17 1/2" toilets at home. It is already a struggle at that height. I would be very happy with it raised to 19 1/2"
Well ... the Thetford riser will do that ... for most Thetford and some Sealand/Dometic models.

"Designed for Increased Comfort and Convenience
  • Lifts toilets 2-1/2 inches, raising the level of comfort and convenience
  • Ideal for the physically challenged
  • For use with the following Thetford products:
    • Aqua-Magic IV and V
      • Hand and Foot Flush
    • Aqua-Magic Galaxy and Starlite
    • Style Lite, II and Plus
    • Aqua-Magic Aurora
  • Can also be used with the following:
    • SeaLand® 510, 910, 2000, Traveler 110 (Lite), Traveler 510, Traveler 511"
Old 01-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Well ... the Thetford riser will do that ... for most Thetford and some Sealand/Dometic models.

"Designed for Increased Comfort and Convenience
  • Lifts toilets 2-1/2 inches, raising the level of comfort and convenience
  • Ideal for the physically challenged
  • For use with the following Thetford products:
    • Aqua-Magic IV and V
      • Hand and Foot Flush
    • Aqua-Magic Galaxy and Starlite
    • Style Lite, II and Plus
    • Aqua-Magic Aurora
  • Can also be used with the following:
    • SeaLand® 510, 910, 2000, Traveler 110 (Lite), Traveler 510, Traveler 511"
We will see if it will work when we get our new coach.
Thanks