Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

2000 Dutch Star A/C Issues

What a disaster. I took my 2000 Dutch Star 38' DP to a dealer in Stuart, Fl. The 15K original 17 year old Penguin finally quit. I asked them to replace the unit with a new penguin as the original one was great and the single unit kept the coach very cool even in the hot Florida summer. Well they proceeded to install a 13,500 Penguin unit after I made it very clear I wanted a 15K unit. Did not notice until I got the coach home and checked the part numbers. After spending $2,200 I thought I should at least have the 15K unit. So, back to the dealer and they installed what I believe was a new Brisk Air II 15K. The 15K Brisk II worked for about 7 days and quit. Symptoms were lots of humming noise before the compressor kicked in. 50 Amp plug at the house was very hot. Took it back last week and was told the compressor gave out and coolant leaked out. Picked up the coach this morning, with a brand new Dometic H541916A Blizzard NXT 15K unit. Hooked up to shore 50 Amp power at the house, turned on the brand new unit and I am experiencing the same issue as before the other failed. Severe humming, compressor does not stay on very long and the plug/50 Amp cord is very hot.

Is there an installation problem? Could this have something to do with the control board? I am getting very frustrated to say the least. The dealer has been very great to work with, but is it possible the installation is incorrect?

Thanks for reading this, just am my wits end....
dpmassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.
Sorry you're here with problems.

If the dealer checked the operation at his shop , and you're having problems at your house shore power , I think the electrical at the house needs to be checked.
Do you have a surge protector on your coach?
I ask because low voltage supply, can cause all the conditions/problems, you describe.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.
Sorry you're here with problems.

If the dealer checked the operation at his shop , and you're having problems at your house shore power , I think the electrical at the house needs to be checked.
Do you have a surge protector on your coach?
I ask because low voltage supply, can cause all the conditions/problems, you describe.
X2 good point here. I didn't pick up the 50 amp problem on his other thread.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is unit a reverse cycle? If air only might be wireing probkem at unit. Changed mine out and had same problem. Dometic rep figured iut unit trying to defrost and cool at same time. Removed blue wire and capped it no runs fine. Unit is 1500 just air unit.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=Russ Silber;3747284]Is unit a reverse cycle? If air only might be wireing problem at unit. Changed mine out and had same problem. Dometic rep figured out unit trying to defrost and cool at same time. Removed blue wire and capped it now runs fine. Unit is 1500 just air unit. Unit was drawing way to many amps trying to do two things at once[emoji1]

Sorry for miss spelling not wearing readers.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Does it run ok off your generator?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes works great. We have a 30amp system 4kw gen
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #8

Your using a 50 amp 220 cord but your generator is a 30 amp 110 ? and the unit works good with the MH generator.. Maybe I'm not following this right.I think it would burn up if it a 110 running on 220
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
30 amp rv 110v air was reverse cycle changed to straight ac. Teck hooked up all wires as they were in old ac turned out did not need that one blue wire. Capped that wire abd air now runs great. No more over heating or shutting down due to over heating of motor and compressor. Told teck about it after I fixed it. I had called Dometic hot line abd jyst happened to be air conditioner enginer from Italy visiting. They asked him. He kbew right away the problem. Judt lucky I guess.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
30 amp rv 110v air was reverse cycle changed to straight ac. Teck hooked up all wires as they were in old ac turned out did not need that one blue wire. Capped that wire abd air now runs great. No more over heating or shutting down due to over heating of motor and compressor. Told teck about it after I fixed it. I had called Dometic hot line abd jyst happened to be air conditioner enginer from Italy visiting. They asked him. He kbew right away the problem. Judt lucky I guess.
When we had a third a/c installed at Newmar they did the same thing with the wiring. We had to drive back to the factory to get it done right the second time. They did say they were sorry and they did get us back in without the long wait.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #11

Has been Working on Generator

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Have been running the new A/C on the generator off and on for the past week. Runs perfect. Electrician is going to install new 50 AMP shore power box this week. I'll let you know if that fixed the problem. By the way, I believe my new Dometic H541916A Blizzard NXT 15K unit is cool only. No heat or defrost?
dpmassoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star