Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Red face 2000 Dutch Star -Newmar Diesel

Greetings:

Ran across a salvaged title Dutch Star for 40K.
Freightliner X Line
I believe its 38ft with 330 cat.
71K miles
Propane 6600 generator (Generac?)

The salvaged is due to Flooding water damage up to the basement.
Fuel tank may need replaced but trans and engine seem fine.
Roof will need to be re-sealed. Looks bad with cracks in the sealant.
Brakes not cracked with 30+ % left on pads.
1 maybe 2 tires need replaced.
Inside super clean and no funny smells.
The lining around the windshield looks fair to poor but the windshield doesn't move when I push on it.

All and all it seems decent with some TLC.

If any one has a Dutch Star or knows anything about the line and would like to share any input of your experience (good and bad) it would be much appreciated.
LifeNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We traded our 2000 3865 on FL chassis in on a brand new 2002 DSDP 4090 on Spartan. For me, out here on the West coast the 3126 was lacking in torque. But that was a personal thing, plus the DW wanted a third slide. Nothing inherently wrong with the rig though.
We kept the '02 for 13 years and it was the most trouble free rig we ever owned.
I'd have to rig professionally inspected, and the engine and trans checked out including oil samples. Usually it's the electrical systems that give trouble after soaking in flood waters. In the car world they total a rig if the water gets up to the dash area.
How far up was the water? We looked at a rig (not a Newmar) that we really liked until I found a water line about 2" up in the bays. I asked the salesman about it. All he would say was that it came from another location in the south. Well, this was after a bunch of flooding in the south. DW STILL talks about that rig and it was about 1998 that we looked at it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Grats on the new rig.

Water line was about 6 inches or so in the basement. The seller told us before we even saw it that is was in a flood.

We spoke to the diesel shop owner where it is being serviced. He said the engine was good trans was good, but he suggested to replace the fuel tank due to algae. They flushed several times but still get traces of algae in filters.

Shop owner said he thinks there might be an air leak in the air-system (brakes?)
Air will hold for a few hours then need to be charged up again.

The generator and all oils have been serviced or changed.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP would hold air for several weeks before leaking down so there probably is a leak in the system. Could just be a ride height valve which is not too expensive but kind of dangerous to do if you don't know what you're doing. I'd be checking the electrical connections that could have gotten water logged and clean them, then protect them from further corrosion.
If you do buy it be prepared to have problems in the future with electrical items.
Also, some insurance companies won't insure a rig that's been totaled and some lending institutions won't lend on them.
The Genejunk generator is what we had in the '00 DSDP. Used a LOT of propane, in one week we went through 2-10 gallon tanks and most of our onboard 40 (32 usable) tank of propane, plus it overheated and shut down twice in only 90° weather, oh yes, the neighbors complained about the noise too.
However if you get it at a good price it probably is worth it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey LifeNav,

One of my in-laws has a 2000 Dutch Star. They've had it for a long time, and it's been a darn good unit. By your description, I believe it's about the same coach. I'm waiting for him to sell it to me for a song , although we haven't done any haggling or anything yet. I want to get an older one sometime and trick it out for fun.

Anyway, that's a good rig. You may have some challenges (or maybe not) with the electrical stuff. Hopefully you've lucked up on that and she's dried out without corrosion in the connections. Sounds like a good project nonetheless.

If you do have any difficulties insurance wise, let us all know. Myself and many others here will have agent suggestions that will hopefully, eventually get you where you need to be.

Hope you have a good time on the project with minimal troubles. Congrats on the coach!

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #6

We've been full time for nearly 6yrs. in our 2000 DSDP. Although ours is a Cummins on a Spartan chassis. Overall it's been a great coach, although through the years as expected we've had to do some repairs. If the flooding was as high as you say, I'd definitely check out the leveling system. I also wouldn't stop at replacing just two tires, I'd do them all. An oil sample wouldn't be a bad idea either(Blackstone Labs). Look closely at the roof, on your hands and knees. If I was to purchase it, that's where I would start. I would want to make sure there's no leaks. Look in all the cabinets for any evidence of a leak. Any evidence of mold? Another little trick is to put a slide out only partially, so you can see up under it for any wood rot. Water leaks can be tricky & hard to find. Depending on how cheaply you can get it, I might look into getting one of those spray on roofs( $3800 approx.). The coach could be a great buy....or a complete nightmare.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 AM   #7

I just went back and re-read your post. $40K? There's no way a salvaged 2000 Dutch Star is anywhere near that. Half maybe!! I have a buyer for our 2000 DSDP, and we settled at $42K. And ours needs nothing. Go to www.pplmotorhomes.com and look for the heading "For Your Convenience". Look for what coach's have actually sold for at that consignment dealer. But I wouldn't even entertain $40k for a unit that could be a total money pit!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was kinda thinking the same thing...........

g
Old 03-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #9

Having had a friend that purchased a salvage titled coach that was flooded my advice- WALK AWAY FROM IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! He had extensive damage in the electrical wiring, brakes & other items. He wound up spending 3X what he originally estimated and is still having issues with the unit. $40K is not a bargain for that year & model of coach especially with a salvage title. Remember- the insurance company walked away from it for a reason. I wouldn't take it if the gave it to me!!
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Capt. Bill;2959445] WALK AWAY FROM IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!

I agree, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. Like Ramets said you can buy a good one for $42K.

If water was 6" deep in the basement it probably won't be long before all the wood basement floor will be rotted out. Plus all the other issues previous mentioned.

As for the fuel tank having algae in it, that seems like a different issue. There's no way water could get into the fuel tank by just sitting in water that shallow.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Rotten-Red;2959607]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
WALK AWAY FROM IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!

I agree, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. Like Ramets said you can buy a good one for $42K.

If water was 6" deep in the basement it probably won't be long before all the wood basement floor will be rotted out. Plus all the other issues previous mentioned.

As for the fuel tank having algae in it, that seems like a different issue. There's no way water could get into the fuel tank by just sitting in water that shallow.
I agree 100% with the advice to walk. At 40K this is not even close to a bargain. Do some more searching and you will find much better bang for your buck. The Newmar is a great product, just not this one. IMHO,,,,,,
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
My concern would be mold in the basement. The entire basement would need to be striped down and sanitized (from ceiling to floor); then new basement carpeting installed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've had my Dutch Star for 6 years now and I love it. It has been relatively trouble free. Having said that there is a whole lot difference with a flood vehicle. It certainly need to be inspected by a certified RV mechanic. However, water especially if it was salt water, may not show any failures for a long time.

That would be a fair price if it was in great shape.

Good luck.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone has been great.
after looking at the additional costs after purchase we decided not to buy. Especially after reading yall's comments on price/with no salvage etc.

Great thing is we are now even more knowledgable on potential repair/replace prices thanks to this one.

Back to searching.

Thanks to you all

Tags
diesel, dutch star, newmar