Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

2000 MADP 4093 questions

What lights should the switch labeled Courtesy Lights light?

Are the Patio Lights the round lights on the sides near the top? I cant get them to light but the rope lights at the top of the steps light with the Patio Lights switch.

Is the only way to turn on the drivers Map Light the switch on the light?
If it is the driver would have to get out of his seat and stand up any time he wanted to turn it on or off.

Thanks
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The courtesy lights should be just off the floor in the bedroom/bath area. The round lights are security light and I believe are labeled as such. The drivers map light is controlled via the headlight knob. You rotate it cw or ccw. This is how my 05 dutch star is wired. Hope this helps!

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mlr1951,
Expanding on the previous post, the security light switches should be in the panel where the other components (water pump, tank level, water heater, block heater, etc.) are located. One must rotate the head light knob fully to the counter clockwise position to activate the map light. You will feel the detent. Once in the detent position and the light does not light, then push the button on the light. To turn off the light rotate the head light knob clockwise out of the detent position. Newmar has been very consistent on these features, over the years. In addition to the courtesy light switch on the dash, there should also be a switch in the bedroom.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Gary's explanation matches our 2000 Dutch Star, so should work for the Mountain Air.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Gary's explanation matches with our 06 Essex.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In our panel where the indicators for the tank levels, batteries, etc it is marked "Security Lights" there are two switches one is marked O.D.S. the other is Dockside. For sake of information the bulb that is in there is a #1295 miniature. Ours burnt out the other day and I've been to numerous rv outlets and auto stores and no one stock the bulb. You can buy them on line at a few different places. Just Google 1295 miniature bulb. You may want to have some for emergency. I puchased a bulb that would fit but not anywhere near the wattage or candlepower output. Waiting for mine to get here.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
The courtesy lights should be just off the floor in the bedroom/bath area. The round lights are security light and I believe are labeled as such. The drivers map light is controlled via the headlight knob. You rotate it cw or ccw. This is how my 05 dutch star is wired. Hope this helps!
I tried the headlight switch and that did not light the map light. My manual lists Security Lights but I do not have a Security Light switch.

Also has anyone had to replace the light [looks like a small rope light] in the control panel cabinet overhead at the top of the entry steps? I have 12 volts on both terminals on the switch but no light.

Thanks Mike
Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike the security lights on passenger side would be in your panel display area as this picture shows in lower left corner.

I have one in bedroom next to speaker switch's and one on LR SLIDE for security light on that slide.
This Owners Guide indicates they are on your entrance door wall.
Your Map lights maybe off the dash lights dimmer control all the way on.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

The headlight switch does not turn the map light on and I have no switch marked Security Lights.
I have a switch marked Courtesy Lights but cant find anything it lights.
I also have a switch marked Patio Lights and assume it is supposed to light the round lights outside high on the wall but nothing lights.

Mike
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
For overhead drivers light - make sure the bulb is good, light fixture switch is on, headlight switch is turned full on to the detent, and fuse is good. The headlight switch enables power to both the drivers and passengers reading lights.

Our courtsey lights (Quan 4) are small with silver round top half cover and located near the floor in the bedroom and bathroom on the drivers side of the coach. They are 3way switched from the bedroom and/or drivers dash panel. Next to the switch in the bedroom is another one that enables power to a center reading light above the headboard.

Lower on the wall next to the passenger seat are 3 switches of which one is for the inside front overhead lights, the automatic steps, and the outside courtsey light.

In our overhead control area there are 2 toggle switches that control 2 high mounted round external security lights per side on the coach.

In the bedroom there are 2 toggle switches that control the 2 overhead speakers in the bedroom (independently) when the in dash stereo is played.

Hope this helps, its usually a burned out bulb or a double switched light (1 switch in the fixture and 1 on the wall) that gives the most problems once the fuses are confirmed.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mlr1951,
Hmmm, the labeling may be different but the function should be the same. My assumption is the previous owner(s) have not altered the switch purpose or wiring.

Looking at the brochure, for your coach, (at Resource Center > Brochures Archive | Newmar RV) the security lights are on the outside (the big round ones up high) and the courtesy lights are on the inside.

Can you turn on the courtesy lights from the bedroom switch? Other than that, consider following Qwert66's post. When checking the bulbs, with the bulb out of the socket, see if there is power to the socket, with your meter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the help. The security light switches were indeed in the cabinet above the steps. Had to replace 1 bulb. Courtsey light switch did light the small lights near the floor and there is a second stitch in the bedroom. Patio light switch was for a light outside near the door and needed a bulb. I still cant get the drivers side map light to turn on or off at the headlight switch but will turn on and off at the switch on the light. Still working on that.
Thanks again for the help.
Mike
Old 02-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #13

OK, finally got the drivers map light working off on the headlight switch. The light is always hot and the headlight switch supplys a ground. Someone along the way rewired the map light to a constant ground so it would only work off of the switch on the light. We traced the wire off of the headlight switch and it was up at the light so we wired the ground wire from the light to the wire from the headlight switch so now it works properly.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #14

Good deal. Glad you got it fixed.