RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Going to look at one in a couple of days, does anyone have one? Comments, things to look for, etc. Coach has just under 39K miles, 2 slides.

Thanks much! Shella (vizmom1)

vizmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Going to look at one in a couple of days, does anyone have one? Comments, things to look for, etc. Coach has just under 39K miles, 2 slides.

Thanks much! Shella (vizmom1)

Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome vizmom1 to irv2.
The FRED engine platform is new the past year but Newmar did have front engine Diesels in the 98-99 years time frame.
The 3357 would be 33' long with the 57 coach option for that year. Will be hard to find info. Do you have a dealer web site where the coach maybe posted so we can look at it than we maybe able to help further.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
URL to 2000 MA 3357 FRED:

http://www.rvsearch.com/findrv/index...61/vid-284676/

It is a FRED per the saleperson, 210 HP.

Thanks!

Shella
Old 01-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
He can say its a FRED but not the newer version has higher HP. Its a diesel can tell by shift. 210 HP is low maybe slow up steep hills or if towing.
Your profile does not say where you are from if its TENN.you are in fairly flat highway may not pose a problem. Interior of coach looks very clean. If engine was maintained may work out for you.
I'm going to short cut your info down to Newmar forum some diesel people will give more info for you. You can pickup answers here or down in that forum.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
vizmom1, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us and look forward to not only reading of your adventures and experiences but in helping if we can. Good luck and enjoy the website.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:10 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum. The short lived 98/99 FRED was 210 HP 5.9 B engine. The top speed is 65 MPH. While there is no question that it is under powered, it can satisfy many. It is not safely upgradable to a higher HP or torque, as the driveline is near maxed out.
But, yes it can run in the mountains, all be it slow. It can tow, preferably flat ground and 4k-.
You can get excellent fuel milage with this rig of 12/14 MPG and if driven and maintained right, it will outlast them all.

Peter
Old 01-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in East TN, just south of Knoxville. Primary usage will be to various dog events: conformation, field trials, hunt tests, agility trials. I have 2 Vizslas, aka Hungarian pointers. My young ***** is the performance diva. As most of this is weekend type stuff, I have no plans for a toad. The kids and I are very tired of crummy hotel rooms . . .

I'll keep the forum posted on adventures in our search!

Shella
Robbie and Tia (the Vizslas)
Old 01-22-2007, 02:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Oops. My young girl (the b word is a no no I see, even though that's what they're called in the dog world) is the performance diva.

shella
Old 01-22-2007, 03:22 AM   #10

Vizmom1,
I have a 98 38-foot MA FRED. All the post so far are correct. It has a 210 HP Cummins with an Allison 4 speed trans. The limiting factor for any HP increase will be the trans and that long drive shaft. But, as stated already, it does get very good fuel mileage. It will run all day with the cruise control at 65-68 miles an hour. And yes you will slow down in the mountains (about 40-45), but who is in a hurry anyway? We are very pleased with our unit. If you have any specific questions, PM me.
Rob
Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Looked and drove today.
Coach is in decent shape, minor things needed fixing + needs new tires. Powertrain: needs help and/or I simply don't know what to expect. Tune-up?? It was SCARY pulling out into traffic, even with empty lanes for a loooong way. Also brakes, I think, need work. Mushy, all the way to the floor. If they're not power brakes, I need to start doing serious leg exercises. In short, as it sits right now, it doesn't seem to promise low stress driving.
But someone can tell me I'm wrong, too!
Shella
Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
MOM, you must have power brakes the brakes if no leaks may only have to have old fluid removed and fresh put in. May not have been driven in a while and drive train needs some mileage, also trans fluid could be changed also.
The 98 people will chime in so don't give up hope for the old girl yet.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #13

.MOM,
The brakes are power hydraulic. As 007 said the unit might have been setting for a long period of time. I would check the maintenance records for proper performance. The power could be the turbo not functioning properly. Again maintenance records
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks all for input; I've decided to pass on this one. Perhaps the engine/brake issues could be easily dealt with but I just don't feel comfortable. The other (likely even bigger) issue with this coach is lack of CC. Factory weight with full fuel tank was 19130. GW = 20500 (GCW = 25500?) So NCC was 1370--500 lbs of water, 220 pounds of person plus 2 dogs, you get the picture.
Sad, is exactly the floor plan I wanted. Just keep looking!!
shella