Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

2001 Dutch Star 4095

Newbie here,
Am considering traveling to Utah to check out a 2001 Dutch Star 4095 at a Camping World. Price seems almost too good to be true at $43,995. Looking for anyone's thoughts as to whether I should be concerned about that price or that it is possible for a coach with no major problems to be available for that $. I expect to get different opinions about dealing with Camping World. I would only be dealing with them for the purchase.

This will be our first motorhome (retiring) and am doing as much reading as I can for newbies, but will appreciate any advice/suggestions from Newmar owners. I have generally concluded that Newmar is the manufacturer I want to go with. We really won't be using the coach until next fall. We suffered through another Alaskan winter so want to enjoy the summer here. LOL..........................Thanks
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello and welcome , how many miles is on it, how many owners, service records with the Coach so you can tell how it has been taken care of. Testing of the oils in the engine and transmission would be a good thing to do.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. Hope it works out for you in Utah. If not , it's still a buyers market.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owner Guide with info as to options, tank sizes, weights and use of functions in coach.
You can Google your coach and see what pricing is running for same coach.
You can use NADA and find high & low pricing and dependent of condition its in. Just compare options that may have been added, not that would be standard.
Price is low would check tire mfg dates all appliances, jacks, TV's etc,etc.
PDI LIST
RECALL LIST

Good luck maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star

Hi
I own a 2002 Dutch Star 4095 with Spartan Chassis and ISC 350 Cummins. Great coach how many miles on the one your considering buying. I would check all systems myself or have someone that knows motorhomes test them,a/c, jacks, etc.
Hope this helps
Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Cool

Thank you for the welcom.
@ 007 I have already done the things you suggested. Low retail is $52,250. That is why I question the $49,995. They also have a 2000 Monaco Executive for $49,995. Low NADA on it is $66,560. I am always leery of deals that just seem too good to be true.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsWatch View Post
Thank you for the welcom.
@ 007 I have already done the things you suggested. Low retail is $52,250. That is why I question the $49,995. They also have a 2000 Monaco Executive for $49,995. Low NADA on it is $66,560. I am always leery of deals that just seem too good to be true.
Especially from Camping World!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Especially from Camping World!
I have no love for them either
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe before traveling ask them why its listed low, how long have they had it and are there some pictures of it.
If this is the one has few miles for 12 years 41,600 and price says marked down but same price, looks like a clean coach not used that much.
Looks like kitchen table was moved and recliner move to kitchen location and missing Tv in bedroom, no lost you would probably put in LCD's any way.
With that kitchen area open as it is you could place something like this: http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...n_cabinets.jpg, how it was done found in QT's 1&2.
Like everyone has been saying CW maybe good deal or not need someone to look her over and maybe some maintenance records.
One thing that can be said its built like a Newmar.
Like I said good luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

@ 007 Your link didn't work for me, but I'm sure you were looking at the right coach. I talked with the salesman and he is going to take more pics as well as a video, both static and when driving down the road. Should I really be interested in it, a refundable deposit will hold it for me for until I fly down from Alaska to check it out. I thought the guy was real helpful and cooperative. I talked to him before I read all of the negative stuff about Camping World. They rated the coach condition as fair to good, which I would think would put the price just a little below average retail. If I do decide to go check it out I will definitely have it checked out by an expert, whic leads me to the question of shich forum would you suggest a post asking for advice on reputable RV repair shops in the St. George, UT to Las Vegas area?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #11

@ 007 I forgot to tell you that the salesman said that the coach had been marked down from $50,000+

My thanks to all others who have responded. All input is appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have allot of travelers on the Newmar forum you can ask here or up in one of the general motor home forums above us.
Ask CW fluids have been changed and dates on tires all batteries should be in good condition also they will be charged by the Bird System and and stay that way.
You may have a good fine, will you be driving back to my favorite state Alaska?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #13

We bought a 2002 DSDP last July and it had a Spartan Chassis with a 12000 pound Independent front suspension that We spent $2700 on replacing all the ball joints due to the seals all being bad. Might want to have someone check this out. However the rest of the coach was sound with new tires and batteries(6 of each).Ours only had 32000 miles when we got it.
eldonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #14

Yeah, Eldiee beat me to it. I'm sure Ball joints will have to replaced. You might want to do a google search for an RV Tech to check out the coach from stem to stern for you. That's what I did when we purchased our 2000 DSDP 3yrs. ago. We were in Md. the coach was in Tenn. I know it's a little scary to think about getting a coach sight unseen, but if the deposit is refundable all you'll be out is the air fare. Good luck.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote