RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Question 2001 Dutch Star help

Sitting in the RV park, watching tv with the lights on and all of a sudden all lights go out and the ac quits. I have no 12 volt power. When I push the battery voltage button it does nothing, and the battery disconnect voltage button also shows nothing. The thermostat for the air conditioning is blank. I checked all breakers and they are ok. After about 5 minutes all of a sudden the lights all came back on and the Ac started. Everthing was fine for about 10 minutes and then it happened again. Right now sitting in the dark. Can anyone tell me what to check?????? 2001 Dutch Star,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

All of a sudden all of the lights have started blinking off and on, very dimly. Voltage meter on the battery disconnect is flashing between 6.8 and 7.2 volts. All 120 volt stuff is fine. HELP!!!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

Do you have a voltmeter ? Need to start at the batteries ( coach ) checking for power. Also from the erratic shut down you may be having trouble with the converter charger overheating , if the batteries are in poor shape this is a real possibility. Get to the converter and carefully check it for temp, see if the cooling fan is operating.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Started another post in case your trying to read the first one .
How long have you been at the site ?
When was the last time you checked battery electrolyte ?
If you've been in the spot for a while , the batteries may have boiled dry and shutting the convertor down due to overheating.
Is you coach equipped with a " Todd " converter ?
My model Todd converter has a manual maintenance charge level , in order to keep from boiling the batteries, I have to remove a jumper from the converter to set a maintenance charge of 13.2 volts.
If the batteries are hot to the touch , you need to let them cool and vent for at least an hour before, removing the caps & trying to add water.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you have a voltmeter ? Need to start at the batteries ( coach ) checking for power. Also from the erratic shut down you may be having trouble with the converter charger overheating , if the batteries are in poor shape this is a real possibility. Get to the converter and carefully check it for temp, see if the cooling fan is operating.
I just went out to the batteries, they are not hot and show a voltage on the meter of a little over 12 volts. Next checked the Freedom brand inverter/charger and it is not overly hot. It has a solid green light on the charge/gel light and a flashing green light on the invert/wet light. I am not sure what these mean. Power went out completely again and stayed off for about 10 minutes and just came back on as if nothing is wrong.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Started another post in case your trying to read the first one .
How long have you been at the site ?
When was the last time you checked battery electrolyte ?
If you've been in the spot for a while , the batteries may have boiled dry and shutting the convertor down due to overheating.
Is you coach equipped with a " Todd " converter ?
My model Todd converter has a manual maintenance charge level , in order to keep from boiling the batteries, I have to remove a jumper from the converter to set a maintenance charge of 13.2 volts.
If the batteries are hot to the touch , you need to let them cool and vent for at least an hour before, removing the caps & trying to add water.
Have been here at the site for a little over 4 months now work camping. Battery fluid levels are good. I have a Freedom brand inverter/charger. Just checked batteries and they are not hot and show good voltage.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #7

Sounds like a circuit breaker in the 12 volt side some where, my coach has a 135 amp fuse in the 12 volt supply , on the frame just about 2 feet from the batteries on the frame rail behind the battery tray; cable runs through the back of the box to it. Could be your coach has a C/B in that spot.
Another possibility is a failing battery disconnect relay. Mine is in the cable bay, I think I have a picture. BRB.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

Ok , here's a picture of the, battery disconnect relay, if you can get to it when the power is out and check both sides for voltage. top right hand corner.
If you have no power, to the relay when the power is out then you have to trace back to the batteries looking for a C/B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217 (640x360).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	45516  
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #9

Got this picture from another post is the same as my unit, from left , starter solenoid, chassis battery fuse, & coach battery fuse. The plate is attached to the frame rail. Just behind the battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batery fuses.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	45518  
Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All your battery locations maybe good how about the return side a battery ground wire to the chassis frame is it clean and tight.
There are many ground wires to chassis frame.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #11

I took all 4 of the 6 volt batteries out and put in 3 new deep cycle 12 volt batteries in there place. So far everything is working like it should. Holding my breath.