Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #15

Thanks guys. Great comments. I am definitely a newb as you guessed correctly from my comments. This unit is listed as having a Cummins (note I spelled it correct this time ) with the Freightliner Chassis. I have actually seen this combo in many Tiffins, Newmars and HR's I've researched online. This will be my first coach of any type. I did some reading up last night on folks who installed a 3 rd AC so I'm curious to see how this was done and by whom. I retired early as a former airline pilot and have always worked on my own toys so I'll be doing most of the maintenance within my capabilities. I think it's important to do as much as you can yourself not just for $$ but to get to know your coach in case emergency repairs are needed quickly and to spot defective or worn items before they strand you. This was really important in boating. I had a good size boat with a diesel. Knowing your systems on that could save your life and your boat in troubled waters with a failure. Being able to pull over and call for help however was not an option in boats and planes. I am looking at the coach tomorrow. I'll report back with what I see and will have questions I'm sure.

Thanks
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
We had a 97 KS with one Slide, as our first MH. It was great. The only drawback was it had a Propane fueled Generator which suffered from inadequate fuel quantity. On a hot day I could drain a full propane tank in one day.

The chassis and engine are solid performers. Check the tires for age and cracks.

If you pull the trigger....enjoy!
I passed on a nice 2001 HR Endeavor recently ONLY because it had an LP Gennie and being down South most of the time I felt I would be looking for propane to often running AC's on generator. I'm sure for others with that set-up it can work jut fine.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #17

Looked at the KSDP today. It has 3 AC's but 2 of them I believe are aftermarket since 2 were not ducted to the central ducts and were in the ceiling inside the coach. Is this a common setup? Possible the coach only came with one AC and owner added 2 more?

Also the generator is located under the front hood. Is that common? I would think that could be noisy while driving and running the house AC's. I thought the generator would have been in a slide out on the side near the rear and possibly have some sound shield box around it?? Remember I'm a newb
Old 05-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gen's may be in front of the coach on a DP and may or may not be on a slide.
The AC's would have feed into the duct system in ceiling for that year there would have been two one up front and one in bedroom. The one in bedroom if not installed when coach was built would have had a vent in that location possibly.
Is the third in the bathroom vent?
If you look at the brochure supplied you see the two roof AC's and also the duct system in one of the pictures. All coach's are built the same through out the years.
Why someone would mess that up is beyond me.
If you can supply the Vin# or coach build number found on sheet in one of the cabinets we maybe able to see what was installed when coach was built through the COM-NET link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #19

The AC in the front and the bedroom were not ducted into the central ducts and were controlled manually at the units. The AC that was ducted was the middle unit and could only be seen on the top of the coach and not from the inside.

Is having the Generator in the front under the hood loud while running underway? Seems like a bad location.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
My generator is located up front and because the dash air is so good I hardly run it while I am driving but when I have it is not noisy at all. (i understand your concern we are used to our APU being in the tail :-)
Old 06-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi noserider,
When you test drive the unit, run the generator. We have the same size generator. Mine is so quiet one does not notice it when traveling. When stopped, the generator is so quiet I have forgotten is was running and forgot to turn it off.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
I'm a musician. I have good hearing. I am on my third DP. You can hear the generator start when cranking and traveling down the highway. Otherwise, after running, you will not notice it above the normal road and wind noise. Those small, three cylinder engines were called "quiet" for a reason.

I suspect the coach was built to the original owner's spec with regard to the single, roof air running into duct woke and under the control of the comfort control. If the other units were added correctly they were done at the place where a standard hole for the AC or vent existed from the factory. However, that meant running through the ducts if the return air is in he ceiling immediately connected to the units.

My earlier comment about engine brand was because Spartan commonly used Cummins while Freightliner commonly shipped Caterpillar engines to Newmar at that point in time. Still, it could have been ordered differently from Freightliner through Newmar if so specified.

I would inquire as to how many owners have had the coach.

By the way, thanks for the correct spelling. You learn quickly, as all pilots should. Since you've had a diesel-fired cruiser, you are used to throwing money down a hole. The difference is this one runs on land instead of water. Docking fees will be a wash.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One more thing. Pushers have the generator in the front for two reasons. Weight distribution is the big one. Noise level when parked is another. By that I mean if you were parked and wanting to nap in the bedroom you'll appreciate having the engine far from you. Gassers put he generator under the bedroom -- not conducive to napping.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #24

Have decided to pass on this unit. Although I liked the KS make and model I felt that it had not been kept up to the standards I'm looking for. Mostly because the owner became ill and was not up to it I believe. I also did not like the aftermarket Ac's and would have preferred having 2 that were ducted into the central ducts and designed to work within the parameters of the APU installed. I'm in a hurry to buy something but will still exercise caution and be willing to wait for the one that talks to me. Maybe I'm asking for to much but I'm hoping to find a 2000-2003 that has been stored under cover while not in use, has been exercised regularly, been maintained with pride by the previous owners, has documented service records with newer tires and batteries or at least will negotiate on the price to have those items replaced. I also want the price to be close to low book NADA or possibly not to far north of that number. Asking to much? I'm on the computer most everyday looking at lots of seller sites and ready at the drop of a hat to jump on a unit if it meets the above criteria whether local or not.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may be on the edge of being a bit optimistic in regards to meeting your criteria. While such units do exist, they aren't always available.

Just like rest idling -- you can offer good pricing, fine products, and excellent service but you can't offer all three and stay in business. Two out of three is the point of reality. Tires are tires. The rest matters more.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsonger47 View Post
You may be on the edge of being a bit optimistic in regards to meeting your criteria. While such units do exist, they aren't always available.

Just like rest idling -- you can offer good pricing, fine products, and excellent service but you can't offer all three and stay in business. Two out of three is the point of reality. Tires are tires. The rest matters more.

Good luck.
What's rest idling?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just to follow up Bryon's post my coach has needed some work so I can place on market two new jacks in front ,new auto reset fusing for jack system, had windshields remounted in rubber surround at Newmar, new Jack HD ant, new dash display, new control for steps, new tires in front.
There are items that the new owner will have to do if he wants the coach, age and fixed income does not allow any further input by me.
A 11 year coach has items that have to be address even if you have maintain it through those 11 years.
So good luck in finding your dream coach we are talking about a 11 year coach its not new that your looking for.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #28

97 kountry star very happy 460 gas
manitou is offline   Reply With Quote