Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

2002 Kountry Star TV/Cable Hookup Prolbems

Hi Everyone

We purchased a 2002 Kountry Star diesel pusher a few months ago. Since that time we have had problems understanding how the TV/Cable system operates.

When we raise the antenna or plug in the cable from an outside source we always get the "Weak ofrNo Signal" error message. Nothing I do seems to get TV/Cable working.

We can use the Blue Ray DVD player, and in fact rely upon it to play movies. Works great. But TV/Cable is not hooked up correctly.

I have attached three pictures, two are of the bay over the drivers seat, and one is the bay behind the passenger seat. I have loose coax cable ends connected to nothing. And no sign of a cable box or switch anywhere in the setup.

Obviously I am doing something wrong, or I am missing a component that needs to be in one of these bays. Can someone help be diagnose this lack of TV/Cable issue please? Do I need to obtain and hook up a generic cable box, or have I just mismanaged the entire problem and need a dope-slap?

Thanks for you help...

Carl Jackson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	65531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	65532  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0026.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	65533  
heyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The rooftop antenna usually has a 12 v booster to increase the signal for over the air broadcasts. Often a small switch turns it on and a light will glow when on. This same booster usually has to be off when hooking to cable. When hooking up to a campground cable source are you connecting to a coax jack in a compartment? The jack is often in your electrical shore cord compartment on driver's side. A coax connection in compartment on passenger side is usually for outside TV. You seem to be missing the 'box of many buttons' that allows selection between inputs (antenna, cable, DVD) and outputs, (front, rear TVs)

Video Control Center with DVD Loop - Quest Technology QS53D - TV Accessories - Camping World

If you have a newer digital TV, every time you raise antenna or hook to cable in a new location you have to allow TV to search and learn what channels are available.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
I can not access the Com_NET link tonight but if you look at this PDF page 4-5,you will see what you are missing.
You will have to tone out your cables if they have never been marked to identify, you will have a cable from the electric bay to the main cable cabinet where box was located, cable from main TV and one from bedroom and one from roof ant.
A cable from lower compartment passenger side would muiltible off the bedroom cable input of box.
The cabinet on left would have these cables the other cabinet looks to be for a SAT cable location.
Until the morning in my signature below are 3 QT links that will have more info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
007 has provided good information. However, he was speaking in code. I thought a brief explanation would help.

By "tone out" he is talking about a device (which can be divided into two pieces) that can be used to verify the continuity of cables in the coach. One piece is made of a coax slip-on connector, battery, switch, and sound module. The second piece has a coax slip-on connector and wired to complete the circuit. There's a You Tube video to explain the process. The URL is as follows - -

Once you figure out which cable goes where (from the TV side to the junction box, etc.) you'll be on your way to solving your problem.

It looks like a previous owner took out the video selector (TV1, Player, TV2) since he/she felt it was no longer useful. That box supports selecting which unit gets what signal (Tape, Aux, Cable, Antenna). More recently this box has been replaced by a head that supports HDMI connectivity.

The cabinet over the driver area is where all the cables terminate. At the termination is where the video selector went. The cabinet on the passenger side (notice the venting at the top of the cabinet) where Newmar planned for a satellite receiver to go.

All-in-all, getting the spider web of cables straight is the first task. The second is finding where the cable/antenna booster switch is located. Generally, Newmar installed it on the passenger side (to the right of the TV) however your coach may be different.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I forgot to mention that you do have to set the tuner on the TV for cable or antenna reception.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the explanation Byron either it was to late or I just take it for granted people can understand my coding system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Thanks for the explanation Byron either it was to late or I just take it for granted people can understand my coding system.
No problem. Since I formerly wrote technical stuff for the non-technical, I'm used to reading things from the totally uninformed standpoint.

I still edit two motorhome club newsletters and handle several websites. Still, mistakes or assumptions can sneak through.