RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #1

Is there much difference between the two motorhomes and how much difference in the price should there be ? ( gas coaches)

jawpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #2

Is there much difference between the two motorhomes and how much difference in the price should there be ? ( gas coaches)

Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the 03 coach with 02 chassis what you see in my signature below for 03 coach is what I added to bring it up to the 04 chassis year.
The only thing I haven't added is the 2 1/2" torq bar I still have the 2" bar.
It was found on 02-03 chassis that the front end would porpois hitting dips in road.
Workhorse put in Monroe's on front end to elimimate. I did not want the hassel so I installed the Blistiens myself all around and also a Henderson tracking bar on rear end.
If you go to WH forum here you will see DriVers installs of all that you can add to these chassis.
The 04 chassis will have most upgrades already put on by WH STARTING IN FALL OF 04.
If theres more you need let us know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #4

007, Iam looking at 2003 and 2004 coaches and there is a $10,000 difference in the two. the 2003 doesn't have the toppers on the slides and the four door fridge but the 04 has.Both have the same milage. the 03 has a rubber roof and the or a fiberglass roof. I haven't seen either one except on the internet.The 03 is one owner and 04 is second owner. Joe W.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your asking me I would go for the 04. Both should have same roof as mine the BriteTek roof unless it stated as fiberglass which was a option.
The 04 should have upgrade chassis features as stated before if not at least the shock upgrade you will have to check month it was made, maybe 04 coach but 03 chassis. The sticker on wall next to drivers seat will tell you this. If you get the Vin# on both coachs and go to Workhorse web site you can see any out standing recalls and if they were completed.
The 03 will have all seals starting to dry out and may need resealing on roof,side walls, caps, running lights etc,etc.
Both coachs will have hard woods but 03 will have worn carpets, furnishings and appliances.
Are they both the same model # you may like features better on one than the other if different model#'s.
I have everything the 03 does not have as the 04 your debating about. Are you going to keep this coach or trade in near future something else to consider.
Let me know where we are at so we can continue.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #6

007. Both coaches are 3778. The 04 has the cherry wood upgrade. I plan on keeping the coach for some time. I want to take some trips out west in the near future. I was curious to know if the toppers are important to protect the slide seals. The 03 is 80k and the 04 is 90k. Is this a good deal on either coach. Both coaches have been kept under cover. How do the mt aire coaches perform in the mountains and what kind of mi. can I expect. I know i'm asking for a lot of information, but I am not familiar with Newmar. Thanks Joe W.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #7

007. Oh yes the 04 warranty ran out in November of 06 so I asume tha it was purchased in Nov. of 2003? Joe W.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have an 04... But, I have an Dec 03 chassis. To get all the 04 whiz bangs you need a Apr 04 chassis or later.

My 04 does not have slide toppers and so far I really don't miss them. I lube my slide rubbers with spray silicone about 3 time a year.

As for price I would check NADA to start with and then start to haggle. Be prepared to walk out if necessary. Remember, you have what they want - money.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The slide rubber seals will wear just from the slides moving in and out. You have to wax the top corners of slide near roof edge real good so not to much friction on rubber seal. Never had a leak on a Newmar slide, after all they had the first slide design.
The topper will keep weather from getting under slide seals and protect them also.
Cherry upgrade is nice had a 3778 in 99 coach, have to change my signature.
The WH will perform as good as my 3 Fords did only better.
Milelege will be near 6-7 which I got on mine until I got the ECM Ultra Power upgrade from Brazels now 8's to 9.2.
Price wise lookup Dealer sites for used and get ball park so you know your not getting a ride and check book values also links to someone dealer who I can not think of right now where they have tables to get a value of coach.
Coach under cover big plus but have to consider how long in sun NE, SW,SE.
Don't be afraid to ask we have alot of GUESS's that are that way and remain so.
GOOD LUCK in your quest and come back and I will make you member of forum, Newmar that is.
AS far as warranty had 88 coach for 8 years only thing wrong with that was chassis problem Ford 460 manifolds over 8 years coach house was fine no problems put money aside in bank or stocks will do better than insurence policy.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #10

Joe

We have an 04 Mountain Aire on an 03 chassis. Ours is the 3651 (Side Aisle) model. We ordered ours from the factory and we stayed with the Brite Tek roof because of the additional weight of the fiberglass. The Mountain Aire is a great coach, but all that corian and solid wood makes it quite heavy. If you are able, I'd suggest taking a look in the kitchen cabinets on both coaches. There should be a sticker on the inside of one of the doors that will tell you what the NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) is. You have to be careful or you can easily overload the coach. Our NCC is about 1600 lbs. We are always running very close to the maximum of 22,000 lbs. If I run with a full tank of water (rarely) I'm two hundred lbs over. The 3778 will be heavier thn my 3651 because it is longer.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for your responses.What is the ECM, where do you buy it and who installs it, also price? Both coaches have Bilstien shocks. Joe W.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ECM is your computer for ignition system and you have one for your Allison Trans also TCM,with out them no movement of MH.
The ECM would be programed from the port under dash that they test your emissons for State inspections.
When you look at coaches check the sticker on wall near drivers seat for axel weights and load coach to balance load in coach. Which ever coach you get have it weight after loading with personal belongings, full fuel and LP tank and 1/4 or 1/2 water tank.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your input. I won't know anything for a month or so. The coaches I have been intrested in are a long way from me and the weather in that part of the country is pretty bad right now. I will write another post when and if know something. Joe W.