Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #1

Looking at buying a 2003 MADP not sure which model and would like any comments from Newmar
owners at what to expect or look for. It has the TV in the wall next to the dinette but is missing.

The obvious items I found in a close look:i
The latch release for the generator does not release.release.
Small oil leak under the generator could not see the source.
Quite a bit of white corrosion in the battery compartment.
Seam around the roof is cracking and needs caulking.
Oil dipstick showed a dark almost black color of oil so it needs changing.
Transmission fluid looked pinkish but smelled funky (tranny fluid always smells funky to me).
Mileage is 53,500 and tire code is 0902 (coming up on 5 years old).
The engine is the 400 hp Cummins.

Should any of these items be of concern to me? Like the unit but I am new to diesel and Newmar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #2

Looking at buying a 2003 MADP not sure which model and would like any comments from Newmar
owners at what to expect or look for. It has the TV in the wall next to the dinette but is missing.

The obvious items I found in a close look:i
The latch release for the generator does not release.release.
Small oil leak under the generator could not see the source.
Quite a bit of white corrosion in the battery compartment.
Seam around the roof is cracking and needs caulking.
Oil dipstick showed a dark almost black color of oil so it needs changing.
Transmission fluid looked pinkish but smelled funky (tranny fluid always smells funky to me).
Mileage is 53,500 and tire code is 0902 (coming up on 5 years old).
The engine is the 400 hp Cummins.

Should any of these items be of concern to me? Like the unit but I am new to diesel and Newmar.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome redeldo to the Newmar forum.
Would start off by saying a Newmar you should be happy with the items you have listed are in need of maintinance. Tranny fluid could be Transynd synthetic check for a sticker around engine compartment or in the papers you may get with coach.
Mileage is good as long as they kept it up and tires should be ok if driven alot.
Oil leak could be just the drain **** not tight and check time used plus oil , air filter. If it was used alot thats a plus.
Good luck in your hunt and tell them you want a HDLCD.

Some DP owners will be on here for sure to help you out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oil dipstick showed a dark almost black color of oil so it needs changing.
Mileage is 53,500 and tire code is 0902 (coming up on 5 years old).The engine is the 400 hp Cummins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oil in diesels will almost always look black, even when recently changed. Date code means tires were made during the ninth WEEK of 2002, not September. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #5

Thanks 007 and edgray. The dealer said they would fix those items if I purchase. The MADP has been on the lot since last November. I would have thought they would want to move it more than they did. I spent 3 hours crawling around the unit yesterday and still have a list of things to locate and check out.

It would be great to see the original MSRP so I could see what it has as standard and what was optional. I sent Newmar an email through the website.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #6

Contact me off line richard.entrekin@alconlabs. com I will tell you all about my 2002 MADP, including what I paid for it.

In summary, all of the issues you point out are just general maintenance issues, and easily taken care of. They are things that you would do normally in the ownership of any coach.

We have been extremely happy with ours. EXTREMELY HAPPY.

Having the MSRP won't really help you decide what is a fair price. I heard a guy talking about real estate once, and he said " a piece of real estate is worth exactly what one person is willing to pay, and another is willing to take, nothing more, nothing less". I think the same is true of MoHo's.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote