RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire

Hello,
A friend of mine is looking at a 03 Mountain Aire. I am going to look at it with him this weekend. I was wondering if there is anything that he should be concerned about. It has the workhorse chassis and the owner is having the recall work done. Although he did take it to one place and they told him that they aren't doing any more recalls becacuse they are getting paid. So what should we be looking for? I've seen pictures of it and it is in real nice condition. It has been stored inside all the time. It has 17,000 miles on it. It has a GM gas engine. Thanks for any help!
Scott

ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #2

Short of taking it for a weekend trip, I'd hook up to electric and see if everything works (likewise with genset running). Do a basement inspection, a roof walk, and check for leaks in and under the coach. I would also check to see what recalls needed to be done, and if the local dealer won't do them find out who will, and figure that in the price. I wouldn't hesitate taking it to the dealer who I intend to have service it for a thorough check (mechanical, engine, tranny, tires, etc.).

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #3

My brother owns a 2003 Mountain Aire with the workhorse chassis. He has over 50,000 miles on it. It is a very nice coach and has given them trouble free use. He has the banks system on it and it has very good power. His exterior steps are now showing need of repair. They are very sloppy when in the extended position. He also modified the factory mud flap. It looked like it belonged on a John Deere tractor. Very big & way to low. Newmar builds a fine coach & it shows when you look at the Mountain Aire.
womps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a KS O3 and have owned a 99 MA.
The difference is in solid wood cabinets and option upgrades in MA.
I have many of the options in my 03 coach and all still function at their best even the trouble some 1200 Norcold fridge.
If he is to go to the Workhorse web site he can find any outstanding recalls on coach there are a couple that should have been done by now. You will need the VIN#.
The site also has select dealers for the brake recall that will take care of the present brake recall.
The drive train is excellent and a much better ride than the Fords in that time period.
The tires may need to be changed they are 7 years old if not already changed.
Have him join in the Newmar forum if he has any more questions it will give us a Gasser to talk about for a change of venue.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to Oemy's site for details of these items-

- Engine fan shroud bolt

- Brake bellcrank zerk (grease) fitting

- Dometic fridge repair (if it has one)

Check tires closely. All recalls done- or in the mill (it might have two recalls on the brakes alone).

Check out the Genset, and all appliances. Look closely for water leaks in overhead cabinets, under front roof top (amber) running lights.

TV's are probably old junk stuff. They probably need to be replaced with new LCD's.

I don't know if its got the Actia electronic instrument cluster. If it does, there has been problems with that unit.

It's a nice rig to drive and live in, very comfortable.

Good luck to your friend
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2002 MA same model as Max H. Very happy with the coach.

If the front shocks are yellow(Monroe), you may want to upgrade to Koni's.(Gold) Beter ride.

Ask if the Allison has Dextron or Transynd (synthetic) fluid. Not a requirement but you may want to search this site for more info.

Check the roof seams all around the top. There are some wonderful tapes available to reseal if neccessary. Check the fabric roof very close. Get up on the roof on your knees and walk the entire roof. (after you buy it, clean it and condition it)

Run every appliance, heat pump or heat strips, generator, light fixture and faucet, black tank flush. Everything should work. (with the generator running and shore power both)

If you can, load the tanks and weigh the coach,(www.catscales.com for locations). Then see what your CCC capacity ends up as. This is VERY IMPORTANT DATA if you plan to bring your lunch.

Ask a WH dealer to do a "scan" for any error codes in memory. That may cost you an hours labor but money well spent.

A call to WH with the Vin# should get you a "build sheet" listing all the options and their weights.

You can't find a better coach...... Hope you make out well. Come back often and keep asking questions.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
KIX

007 mentioned it but here's another reminder.......
Check the DOT date code on the tires for date of manufacture. If they are, in fact, '03's they will need to be replaced regardless of tread condition. Tires are not cheap so figure that in the "deal".

Also, check the inverter / charger (if equipped) for correct operation.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ScottsJourney,
A member of our Newmar Kountry Klub chapter is selling their 04 Mountain Aire Gas coach. I know the brake recall has been completed. I am sending you a PM with their contact information. From my view the coach is in excellent condition.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote