RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #1

36ft 2 slides,my husband and I are looking at this unit for about $76,0000 any comments good or bad. I think we have to make a decesion today and I don't know anything about Newmar units.

LORNADUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #2

36ft 2 slides,my husband and I are looking at this unit for about $76,0000 any comments good or bad. I think we have to make a decesion today and I don't know anything about Newmar units.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:59 AM   #3

OK, I think I can speak intelligently on this subject. Here are my quick 'n' dirty thoughts:

First and foremost, the Scottsdale is a very nice coach. Good build quality, fit & finish for the money.

Things we hate (and it's a very short list): the Sony dashboard radio (we still can't figure out how to operate it to this day), the recliner chair (it's position in the floor plan leaves a lot to be desired) and the cheap carpet. But these are pretty much common across all gassers.

Do not buy the coach unless it has a Workhorse chassis. The Ford 4-speed transmission is inadequate to the task.

Test-drive it in Interstate-grade traffic; You will probably find that it's a bit of a handful to drive because it's tail-heavy and because it has a very long rear overhang (but once again, these characteristics are common for gas coaches in this size, by the way). You will need aftermarket Panhard rods for the front & rear axles plus better shock absorbers (Monroe RVMatics, at least) to tame it.

Which floor plan are you considering: the 3601 has the galley on the driver's side; the 3602 has the galley on the passenger's side and places just the bed and two nightstands on the bedroom slide, the 3670 is the same as the 3602 but has a larger bedroom slide with a large double-sliding-door cabinet next to the bed on the slide (this floor plan has much easier access to the bathroom than the others).

Why do you have to decide today? This is a major purchase, and you need to go into it with both eyes open.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:30 AM   #4

While you did not provide enough details on the unit to make a complete assessment, I think you will find that price to be exceptionally HIGH for an entry level, 5 model year old coach. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
While you did not provide enough details on the unit to make a complete assessment, I think you will find that price to be exceptionally HIGH for an entry level, 5 model year old coach. ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was thinking the same thing, since I paid something like $86K for mine when it was one year old.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #6

it is the 3670 with the workhorse. I guess we don't have to decide today, there is a rv show in town and they are from ft. meyers. We have a trade and thats where they get you. The price that was on it was 62 (after we asked for a price they raised it to 66) and they are only giving us about 25 for our trade. of course we are upside down. we have a 1998 southwind storm with 1 slide.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:14 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have a trade and thats where they get you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, we are always at the "mercy" of the dealer. However, you should "expect" to pay average retail for what you are buying, and get wholesale for your trade. Rest assured, the dealer will make money on both ends of the deal, or they won't do the deal. Better if you can sell your unit priviatly, then buy the dealers unit. If you trade, you'll spend more but have less "hassle" as they take your old unit and do all the paperwork too. You "should" get some tax advantage as the trade value reduces the tax you pay on the one you are buying. IF the Scotsdale is REALLY to your liking-buy it. It represents a significant upgrade to your 98 Southwind, but insist they go back to their first price on the Scot. ED

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote