RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

2004 DS Paint Blistering

I have a 2004 DSDP with a paint issue. At the top of the coach the paint is blistering on the radius section of the coach. My question is, what have others done in order to repair this issue. The rest of the coach is in excellent condition except for the eyesore at the top. I don't necessarily want to repaint with the same color, however thinking outside of the box is it possible to get a color match in something like small trucks use in their box to protect the inside from wear etc. Just looking for suggestions to help to improve appearance without breaking the bank and also something that can withstand the heat exposure that causes the damage in the first place.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"gmarsha2"......Your clear coat is going bad and is a pretty common problem. There is NO repair, but to have it repainted by a professional. My 2005 Diplomat had the same issue. I tried a bunch of home repairs, but they all eventually went bad. Typically, it's the dark colors that have an issue. On my Diplomat, it had three colors that rolled over onto the roof, tan, brown and green. I had the entire roofline repainted above the rain rail the lighter tan color. It cost me $3500.00, but it was well worth it. I was tired of messing with it. Like yours, my coach was in great shape, except for the ugly paint issue.

Fast forward to my new coach. We bought our coach new off the lot in 2014, Newmar was like everyone else, still using dark colors along the roof. I hoped with the newer, more modern paints, I wouldn't have an issue.....no such luck. In 2016, my two year old coach had paint issues along the upper edge above the driver's side tires. I called Newmar and they said they would fix it (only the bad spot) if I drove it back to the factory during the winter. That wasn't going to happen.

I paid to have the entire roof line repainted for $5000.00. After some arm twisting, Newmar paid $1500.00. My coach had black paint along the entire roof. Rather than deal with a issue in the future, I had the entire roof repainted in the same white as I had in my stripes. I think it still looks nice and makes the coach look longer than it is.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

On our Essex I use 303 on the radius between the roof line and side wall 4 times a year and have never had this problem. This is a popular problem with many coaches and this 303 works well in this high UV area which over time damages clear coat. Takes 10 minutes to do. Also use on the rest of the coach 0nce a year and again doesn't that long and can be done in less then 2 hours. 04 Essex
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Just got a 04 DSDP with the same problem --Has anyone tried single stage paint with hardener ?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm having the same issue. My estimate from a good paint shop is $2000.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same problem here as well. I painted mine on my own but it only lasted about two years. I have gotten estimates from $2000 to $4000 to have it done at a paint facility. Ours doesn't have real dark paint up there but it is still part of the color scheme as is all one color. I have now noticed the top of one outside mirror (which are painted) and one side front window molding starting to peal. What NEXT????
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies........I am going to keep looking, hoping that someone has found a solution. I am also going to look at paint shops that might be able to handle repainting and see what costs will be involved. Thanks
Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You have to remember that sometimes when someone says they used a product like 303 and it worked, the situation is different. The Essex was a top of the line coach with a paint job that was substantially better. The problem everyone here is seeing, is the clear coat is blistering or burning (people use different terms). The reason for this, it had very little clear coat. A typical DSDP in 2004 probably got 2-3 coats of clear right over the fresh paint. An Essex was most likely colored sanded and then received 4-5 coats of clear.

When both of my coaches were repainted by the same shop, you could see a HUGE difference in the amount of clear they used.

After buying my Dutch Star and having the paint issue, I decided I would not buy another unless they improved their paint and their crappy front door seal. Well.....in 2017 I guess enough people complained or asked for an upgrade when special ordering, that they now have included the DSDP in the Masterpiece paint job, something that started at the Mountain Aire level.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #9

My 2005 Kountry Star did not have a clear coat problem, it had Sherwin Williams paint listed in the brochure as masterpiece full paint. My 2008 DSDP has the problem and it has a different BASF I think. The 2008 Brochure lists it as a Masterpiece full paint. The BASF seems to have many more tiny swirl type scratches then the Sherwin Williams. Maybe the manufacture of the paint also had something to do with it.

DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint