Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #1

2004 KSDP3904 Newbie, the second week

Hey all,

Our 2004 Kountry Star DP 3904 is performing flawlessly, with minor quirks, my inexperience, and the coach's 2003 birthing date.

I'm having issues with the MWH leveler jacks. After reading the owner's manual and viewing several youtube videos, the procedure escapes me. Trying to extinguish the initial yellow indicator light results in an out of level situation. Trying to manually adjust individual jacks invariably results in one jack not on the ground and the coach wobbles with one of us moving around.

Suggestions?

And, being a 2003 build, the "manual" awning over the passenger (kitchen) side slide-out is deployed with a metal, hooked-end metal rod, pulling on a strap. The previous owner mentioned making the mistake of not deploying the awning before sending out the slide, then when the slide is retracted the pull strap is caught between the slide and the coach body.

Of course, I did the same, requiring me to climb the ladder, shinny over to the passenger side of the coach, have darling wife partially send out the slide, grab the pull strap, bring the slide back in, throw the strap over the closed slide, climb down the ladder, etc. etc.

Another novice mistake?

Ricky
clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I press level onmy HWH system, if one of the sides is low, use the up arrow to level the side first, then deploy the opposite side until those two jacks are down and creating a solid foundation. If only the front or rear light is on, then I level the two rear or front jacks first and then deploy the other end. Then adjust the other jacks to eliminate the lights. Also, the lights may not be calibrated correctly. I use a program on my phone or a small level to check. The best is to use the bathroom door. If it stays without moving in a number of positions (forward/rear/90 degrees) you are probably level.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
When I press level onmy HWH system, if one of the sides is low, use the up arrow to level the side first, then deploy the opposite side until those two jacks are down and creating a solid foundation. If only the front or rear light is on, then I level the two rear or front jacks first and then deploy the other end. Then adjust the other jacks to eliminate the lights. Also, the lights may not be calibrated correctly. I use a program on my phone or a small level to check. The best is to use the bathroom door. If it stays without moving in a number of positions (forward/rear/90 degrees) you are probably level.
Ha! That's what the bathroom door is for. I think mine is spring loaded to move towards the front of the coach. Maybe I need a few shims under the front jacks.

I use the same technique as Mike suggests.

Good luck and safe travels.

Cheers
Old 03-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rick, when you lower your jacks raise each side rail where ever the yellow light shows up.
If the light is on your passenger side press the side arrow not the forward or rear arrows.
When you press the side arrow each jack front and rear on same rail will operate, as they extend the first jack to touch ground will stop and wait for the other jack same rail touch's ground than they will both raise the passenger rail to level and yellow light will go off and most likely move to drivers side.
You will than repeat the same action and both jacks on that rail will repeat the same procedure and level that rail when yellow light goes out the coach should be level.
ALWAYS LEVEL YOUR SIDE RAILS FIRST.
In some cases the yellow light may move to front or rear of diagram than you would just operate the forward or back arrow to extinguish the light.
Never lift rear tires off the ground, you will lose the coach off jacks and possible damage them.
When you operate jack singly you could twist frame of coach and pop your windshields.
The jacks are used only to stabilize the coach.
Before you open the kitchen slide pull the awning out and hook strap loop in its hook on slide and when the slide opens the awning will glide over the two brackets on top of slide. Most other awnings maybe on the face of slide.
All the links below in my signature have information for your Newmar.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
007 nailed it ...that's exactly my procedure ....

As for the strap being closed In the slide.... well maybe I'm a bit different but I close mine I n the slide Intentionally. .. I read threads here and there and have talked to folks that have had their awning open or unroll while traveling with disastrous results. .... so I close mine I n the slide and then I know it cannot open. It doesn't leak and it has not caused any problems thus far....

Just my 2 cents

Happy camping
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Rick, when you lower your jacks raise each side rail where ever the yellow light shows up.
If the light is on your passenger side press the side arrow not the forward or rear arrows.
When you press the side arrow each jack front and rear on same rail will operate, as they extend the first jack to touch ground will stop and wait for the other jack same rail touch's ground than they will both raise the passenger rail to level and yellow light will go off and most likely move to drivers side.
You will than repeat the same action and both jacks on that rail will repeat the same procedure and level that rail when yellow light goes out the coach should be level.
ALWAYS LEVEL YOUR SIDE RAILS FIRST.
In some cases the yellow light may move to front or rear of diagram than you would just operate the forward or back arrow to extinguish the light.
Never lift rear tires off the ground, you will lose the coach off jacks and possible damage them.
When you operate jack singly you could twist frame of coach and pop your windshields.
The jacks are used only to stabilize the coach.
Before you open the kitchen slide pull the awning out and hook strap loop in its hook on slide and when the slide opens the awning will glide over the two brackets on top of slide. Most other awnings maybe on the face of slide.
All the links below in my signature have information for your Newmar.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
Totally agree with raise the sides 1st. Probably don't need to mention (but I will) that when jacks are at/near full extension lowering the high side (no yellow light) or end instead of raising low point or adding blocks under the jacks may be a better choice. We often speak of raising the low side and rarely mention lowering the hide side. I know that is an obvious possibility but we are not always clear with advice. Especially with those new to operating RVs.
Safe travels!

Cheers
Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
Totally agree with raise the sides 1st. Probably don't need to mention (but I will) that when jacks are at/near full extension lowering the high side (no yellow light) or end instead of raising low point or adding blocks under the jacks may be a better choice. We often speak of raising the low side and rarely mention lowering the hide side. I know that is an obvious possibility but we are not always clear with advice. Especially with those new to operating RVs.
Safe travels!

Cheers
Sorry, meant to say lowering the high side, not hide.

Tags