Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PHLUSBY Send a message via Yahoo to PHLUSBY
2005 Dutchstar Electrical Issues

First time poster- sorry for any etiquette errors. I have run into an unusual set of issues after swapping out my house batteries. I am hoping that someone may see a pattern that will better inform my troubleshooting. I replaced 6 6v GC2 batteries with 6 6v AGM higher capacity (200 Ah each rather than 100 Ah each). I switched the Xantrex charger to its AGM configuration (and have now seen links suggesting I might need to change it back!)

After install I am having several strange issues. First, the power steps (which were recently repaired and have been working perfectly) stopped working. The battery disconnect switch in the coach has also only worked intermittently (won't engage at all currently). The A/C has also stopped working and the thermostat is dim at best and blank most of the time. 12v lights are also quite dim.

The batteries show 100% charged on the RC7 control panel for the Xantrex inverter/charger, but when I have been able to get the disconnect switch to turn on, it shows around 7v as the battery voltage. The generic Newmar battery/LP/gray/black control panel also reads the batteries as empty. (I made sure the batteries we pretty fully charged using a stand alone battery charger prior to installation.)

I have tried to check all fuses and breakers (though not sure I know where to look for all of them!) If anyone has any thoughts, or can think of anything I should do to try to diagnose, I would greatly appreciate any guidance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like miss wired batteries to me. Did you take pictures before you disconnected the GC2s and verified the AGMs are hooked up the same way. No missed wires?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

Take some pictures of the batteries and cables with you phone and post them.

That may help us help you.

PS: the old batteries were 100 minutes RC which works out to about 220 AH.
There is no 100 AH GC2 battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #4

Thanks Jarweibe,
I will be happy to upload photos, but the wires were all labelled and photographed in advance and everything was hooked back up correctly. The batteries and the inverter/charger appear to be working fine, and with the RV plugged in the batteries charge just fine. It is the other systems that have gone out that are the problem. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Take some pictures of the batteries and cables with you phone and post them.

That may help us help you.

PS: the old batteries were 100 minutes RC which works out to about 220 AH.
There is no 100 AH GC2 battery.
Thanks Twinboat,
I have attached a photo of the battery bank as it was originally and the newly rewired battery bank. I do not believe it is a miswiring issue- more likely a blown fuse or relay give the disparate impacts. Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190930_174347.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	262863   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_151350.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	262864  

Old 10-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #6

The red circled wire seen a to be at a jumper point. That sends 6 volts out.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-07-18-55-04.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	262874
Old 10-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #7

Move it here.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-07-18-58-23.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	262875
Old 10-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #8

Like this.

One is the inverter feed, the other is the house feed.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-07-19-00-18.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	262876
Old 10-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looks like twinboat found your problem. Out of curiosity, were are your chassis batteries.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #10

Thanks Twinboat and Jake,
First, thank you both for your input (and your generosity in taking time to help others such as myself). Twinboat's diagnosis was indeed correct.

After posting my question and doing some more research last night I thought that I might have a bad battery disconnect switch or solenoid. However, as soon as I put my DMM on the battery disconnect solenoid and it only read about 6 volts it was clear that you were both correct that I had miswired. When I looked back at the battery wiring I saw my error in connecting one of the cables to the jumper post. Moving that cable to the 12v connection point did indeed resolve all issues.

Regarding the chassis batteries, they have been moved to the engine compartment. If a picture is of interest let me know and I will upload.

Since you are both obviously very knowledgeable in this area I wonder if you might have an opinion on the attached wiring diagram I found last night while trying to diagnose. The 6 battery configuration in the top right of the attached diagram shows an additional jumper from positive to positive on the two leftmost batteries in the "upper row" of batteries, and an additional jumper from negative to negative on the two rightmost batteries on the "lower row" of batteries. I suspect that those additional jumpers are intended to better balance out/equalize the charge and draw down across all six batteries. The diagram on the top left also shows a 6 battery configuration, but shows different "optional" jumpers from positive to negative in two places. Any thoughts on the optimum wiring configuration to best equalize charging and draw down across the entire 6 battery bank?

Again, thank you both for all your sage advice!
Paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Page Showing Battery Connections.pdf (141.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #11

I see the extra jumpers but I believe they are nessessery when using a 6 volt tap to have the 3, 6 volt batteries in the 6 volt circuit.

Otherwise, the 6 volts would only draw on one battery. That would put that one battery way out of balance.

If your not using 6 volts, it isn't nessessery.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, Paul
We do have some knowledgeable people on this forum always willing to help.
I have place many of their answers in this sticky link top of forum and the many links below in my signature.
Good job on batteries when pointed out the problem we have had some tougher ones over the years.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you don't mind, I'd like to see a picture of your chassis battery layout seeing as i have the same chassis/coach as you. Not that I'm looking to go to 6 house batteries but just in case i ever decide to go that route your layout would give me a starting point.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Thanks again Twinboat. Glad to hear I don't need to purchase more battery jumper cables!

Tags
dutchstar, electric, electrical