Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Are you saying you don't think it is low voltage problem? I thought the whole 12 volt system is fed from the batteries through the BCO and if the BCO is defective it doesn't matter where the power comes from to feed it the voltage is bad. Thats how i understand the purpose of the BCO. Sorry if I misunderstood your comment.
I checked the 4 * 6 volt house batteries with the new meter and they check out exactly as displayed by the Magnum controller. Each battery reads over 6 volts and paired they read 13.3 volts. I still have @6.x volts at interior lights and same 6.x volts at input pins 4/5 on slide controller. Doesn't seem to matter if plugged in to shore power or not.
Grwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi NtCreate,
I think you are on the right track. Consider starting with the batteries. They could be worn out. If they are flooded cell batteries, a hydrometer check will tell the story. A bit more difficult would be a load test. If you are not familiar with these tests, post here for specific help. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Just because a volt meter shows good voltage doesn't rule out the batteries. Since you are having trouble with all the slides and the lights are dim I would rule out batteries first. Take pictures and diagrams of the wiring and then take them out and see if you can determine their age. If they are five years old or older replace them. If they are new check the water levels and clean them up and charge them woth a known good battery charger and get them load tested.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #18

OK, I know you said the coach is on a level concrete slab, but put the jacks down, not for nothin'.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, forgot to mention. Jacks are down and coach is level.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We are in Canada. Suggestions for a source for a reliable hydrometer with appropriate scale?
Suggestions for good replacement batteries. I've used Trojan T105s on our old sailboat.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #21

Canadian Tire has the hydrometer; that's where I got mine.
Costco is selling 6v golf cart batteries. Not sure of the brand.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #22

Ok , just back from re-reading all the posts so far,
First a little background info. Have you ever seen this coach with the slides out? If the slides were out ; did you put them in or did the seller put them in before you picked the coach up ?
If I'm reading some of the posts correctly , you have 12+ volts at the batteries and then only 6v else where in the coach, and dim lights. This would lead me to bad connections and to a pair of 135amp fuses that my coach has on the frame rail . These fuses are to protect the supply cables, coach and chassis, as they run the length of the coach from the battery bank to the dash area. Trace the positive cable from the coach batteries back to the frame near the engine. The fuses are about 3" square with 2 attachment studs about 2" apart . You need to check for full battery voltage across the fuses, any drop in volts means a bad connection or a failing fuse. If you have good voltage at the fuses then you have to find the dash end ( mine are on the outside of the firewall, visible with the gen set slid out ) and the power studs there act as a distribution point for all the dash controlled systems for both the chassis and coach batteries including the dash end of the coach fuse panel and slide power. Check for full battery volts every where, and while your under the coach, check and clean the ground cable attachment at the frame. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Any auto parts store will sell hydrometers. One does not need an expensive one. What you'll be doing is comparing the readings. If a cell is low or bad the reading will be significantly different than the other readings.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the batteries were changed out and they are wired correctly for 12v's there maybe some smaller wires going to the 12v fuse panels for lights that were put on the 6v side of batteries and not the 12v series side of the batteries thus dim lights and measuring 6v at lights and dim lights.
All lights should have 12v's.
The BCO is on when ever you use your coach only off in storage.
Have you measured your batteries with out shore power or Gen operating and see what voltage you read at the batteries.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #25

Just wanted to let you know that Newmar did use 6 volt power for your model year coach. They used it as a dimming feature. The switch up is 12 volts, the swicth down is 6 volts and in the middle is off.
hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that correction hes4all.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE: Looks like it isn't the Battery Disconnect (BD) after all. With the new multimeter I checked voltage in and out of the BD and they're both 6.x volts. Also checked voltage on both sides of the large fuse just off the positive battery terminal as the cable heads under the frame and its 12.x volts. Somewhere outside of the batteries and before the BD the voltage drops from 12 to 6. There are some other problems that need to be fixed so I took it to a service place here in Barrie, Ontario. I guess it could be a damaged cable or a severe miswiring problem. I'll update as soon as I find out. Thanks for all the suggestions. Even if I don't fix it myself, as a NEWBEE, I've learned a lot by troubleshooting and trying to understand the comments and suggestions. Thank you all very much.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Making progress, all your controls need 12v to funtion,the fridge control, water heater,water pump and slide controls plus motors.
Your 12v fuse panel near the load center should read 12v's from ground buss to power leads feeding the panel.
If you have 6v house batteries someone may have wired incorrectly.
Here is info on batteries and power system of a RV.
You will notice 6v batteries are wired differently but we still have our 12v supply if they are wired correctly.