Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2005, 03:24 AM   #1

I have owned Winnebago products, and am considering a MADP 4034. How effective is the roof air? The winnebago basement air is loud, but works very well in the Florida sun.
Any recommendations for a dealer, preferably in
the southeast?
Anyone know the wheel cut on the 43' chassis?
Any advice on options/features?
Thanks for your help.
palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2005, 03:24 AM   #2

I have owned Winnebago products, and am considering a MADP 4034. How effective is the roof air? The winnebago basement air is loud, but works very well in the Florida sun.
Any recommendations for a dealer, preferably in
the southeast?
Anyone know the wheel cut on the 43' chassis?
Any advice on options/features?
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, step to the head of the class! And, I mean class

The Mountain Aire DP is a top of the line coach. Actually, you are looking at the 4304, not the 4034 (probably a typo - I make them all the time ). I was very impressed with the MADP 4301 when it first came out. You'll definitely be "kicking it up a notch" going from a Winnebago to the MADP.

The roof air on Newmar is very quiet. It's ducted, both cold and hot ducts run longitudinally the length of the coach in the ceiling so the A/C units are not dumping the air (and noise) directly into the coach. Our Allegro Bus is similar and is very quiet compared to the basement air we had on our Suncruiser. Also, the theory behind basement air being more efficient because it's out of the hot sun didn't play out in reality. The basement air worked, but it didn't work any better than a good ducted rooftop setup. Plus, it's nice to get that storage compartment back and the clean roofline advantage didn't mean anything either because once you throw a satellite dome and other "stuff" up there your lower profile roof is gone anyway. The dual Penguin low profile 15K A/C-Heat Pumps are going to be shorter than any satellite dome.

The MADP 4304 is built on a Spartan K2 chassis. I'm not sure which axle Newmar uses but if you have the 14,600 lb front axle the IFS will have a 55 degree cramp angle on the front wheels. If it's less you can check at a Newmar dealer. They have one page white papers on the chassis specs for each particular model. They can tell you exactly what components are in the K2 chassis as set up for the MADP.

The MADP comes with plenty of stuff as standard, compared to the Dutch Star, but there are still going to be plenty of bells and whistles that you will want. Automatic generator start and keyless entry are must haves - especially if the basement compartment locks are available in the keyless version. Most of the rest is personal preference stuff, like sound systems, etc. My personal preferences are the hardwood lambrequin window treatments rather than all that cloth (although the raw silk isn't too bad) and the coastal cherry cabinets. The coastal cherry gives you an upscale look from oak and isn't as dark and dreary as the dark cherry. Newmar is very good at supplying it's dealers with samples of cloth, carpet, flooring, etc. so you should be able to see these before placing your order. Do be awre that the Newmar literature really stinks at showing colors. They don't look very good on the literature and the actual coach will look quite a bit different so be sure to look at actual coaches when choosing colors and decor.

The hydronic heat option is a toss up. Some people love it and some hate it. I liked the preliminary calulations of the hydronic heat and the ability to heat the coach for long periods of time without worrying about running out of propane. However, after listening to (and smelling) the system in operation I thought twice about that. It was loud and had that unburnt diesel smell to it. I couldn't imagine offending my fellow campers that way and when I asked Bob Tiffin about it he did allow as how he was asked to move to a different once when running hydronic heat. Then again, if you camp in the middle of nowhere, it's not an issue (unless you have a window open and the wind comes from the wrong direction ).

As far as dealers, I only know of one. They are a great dealer but they're in Wisconsin, not the southeast. They do move coaches all over the country but it's nice to have a good local dealer when it comes to service time.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:25 AM   #4

We purchased our '05 4502 Essex from Leisure Tyme in Mary Ester and will take delivery next month. Very pleasant purchasing experience. I've occasionally used their service department over the last 7 years for Spartan and Onan issues as we owned an American Eagle until last week and been satisfied.
John, 4502 Essex(soon)
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I have seen Cruzer's posts on other forums and, as usual, his opinions are thoughtful and helpful. Thanks.
I was going to purchase a Horizon, even had a deposit on one, but the deal fell through and I started looking at Newmars. You get more bang with a Winny product, but the MADP, at $80000 more, is impressive.
If I can bring myself to spend the money, I am going to try to buy one I saw "on the ground." Do you agree that I should be able to purchase the coach for about 27% off msrp?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #6

If the MADP is to rich for your blood - look at a Dutch Star and the Kountry Star is a very nice rig for a DP.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Before buying the Bus, we "thought" we were going to buy a Newmar. The reasons we didn't are minor and personal preference things - passenger window size, floor plan, and other minor things - nothing against the Newmar line.

Anyway, we went to the factory twice and really did some serious study on the details of the Dutch Star and Mountain Aire. We found that the Dutch Star was less money but it didn't come with that many things as standard. By the time we added everything we wanted to it we had an extensive list of options - 22 if I recall. Plus we wanted some "off sheet" things that the MADP had that weren't "officially" available in the Dutch Star. When we price a MADP 4018 (same floorplan as the DSDP 4010) we found that price-wise, they weren't so far apart after all. Plus the MADP had a better interior decor, a killer rear cap and taillights, and other things the DSDP didn't have. So we changed our view to a MADP rather than a DSDP. It's true, if you don't want all the bells and whistle, the DSDP can offer a significant savings, but if you add them on the MADP looks pretty good. Besides, when it's time to trade, a loaded up Dutch Star is still a Dutch Star while the Mountain Aire will have a higher resale value.

I have heard of some dealers going 27% off but I also known that many are in the 25% off area. It's nice to get the extra 2% but if you can find a nearby dealer with excellent service that only gives 25% I think it'd be worth it to establish that relationship for future service needs.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 AM   #8

We were owners of 3 Winnebago products: Ultimate, Chieftain gas and Vectra gas and bought a 4301 MADP 18 months ago. Winnebago is a very good company, Newmar is outstanding as is my coach. I was pleased with the Ultimate basement air but am equally pleased with the Coleman roof tops. They are low profile and are centally ducted as is Winnebago's units. There is no loss of air conditioning and you do have more basement area unless you order hydro Hot. We have the latter and have had problems with it, but easily fixed under warranty.

Steve Bloom
04 MADP 4301
Suwanee, Ga

04 MADP 4301
Steve Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #9

Newmars no matter what model are excellent coaches, and there's a model and price range for everyone's appetite. Ed
P.S. palmetto check out the new Newmar Dutch Star 43 footer with a tag axle.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #10

You guys are killing me. Can't you talk me out of it?
Ed, I saw a 43'DS in person, and it's a nice coach-just under 300K MSRP. I'm with Cruzer on this one. I would buy a 40'DS for 30K less or a 43' MADP for 30K more.
I've done some shopping, and as far as I can tell, the 27% off is a myth, although I bought two Winnys for over 30% off. The "mantra" is that Newmars have a much smaller margin. Dealer also claims that unlike Winny, Newmar has few "hold back" programs and other dealer incentives. I wish I knew what a MADP with a MSRP of 340K actually cost the dealer.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Hart City in Elkhart, IN is known for going 27% off on Newmars. They are right up the road from the factory in Nappanee.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:02 AM   #12

FYI- I don't know what state you are in (purchaser), but Indiana has a tax on any RV sold in the state no matter where you live (6%). Some states will honor that as tax paid, some WILL NOT, like MD where I live. That would be 6% + 5% for me.
Check before you buy.................
Old 02-04-2005, 07:26 AM   #13

The research continues...
Considering a 4305 3 slider vs. a 4304. Basically the same price, because the 4305 has a few more options (e.g., basement freezer). Same color, inside and out.
I like the three slides, because there is no loss of patio space. But, it seems like if the price is the same, 4 slides is the better buy.
Finally, I'm nervous about Girard awnings (not familiar with them, but they cost over 4K). Also, I dry camp about 50% of the time in remote locations. A MADP is an awful nice coach to ride around in the woods.
Hmmm.........
Old 02-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

When the 4300 series first came out they only had two floor plans, the 3 slide 4301 and the quad slide 4302. One of things we liked about the 4301 was that the third slide was in the bedroom, not on the patio. We also wanted a slide out freezer (we have two of them on our Allegro Bus) and with the typical patio slide you can't get into the freezer because the slideout hangs over it. That's why we liked the 4301 over the 4302.

You mentioned the freezer in your post so I'm assuming you would like one. Then you mention that if the price is the same, 4 slides might be a better buy. If you want to access that freezer, I'd think twice about getting the fourth slide. Personally, it's all about floor plan. If the 4305 has a floor plan that you like, go for it and don't worry about getting that fourth slide just because it's what of what the dealer says.

Girard awnings are very respectable and considered a cut above the A&E awnings. They use a lateral arm design that removes the "head bump" thing from the equation yet is very strong. They do cost more but they are worth it.

By the way, if you find the right coach, some things such as freezers can easily be installed by the dealer before delivery. Just make sure you can get to the freezer.