RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #1

2005 Newmar, blinker problems, big time!

2005 Kountry Star, Newmar
I have no hair left, turn signals and hazard lights went dark, no blinking or lights on dash, no amber lights on rear end ( I do have brake lights and mid-ship lights) small amber lights on mirrors are out as well. front amber lights do come on but do not blink. All fuses are good including in fuse box in the compartment by back wheel passenger side. When head lights are on, and I'm braking (with the hazard blinkers in on possession) mid-ship lights get brighter and the amber lights on the back light up extra bright, left-right arrow on dash light up but do not blink. When letting off brake all the amber lights on the back turn off and mid-ship lights return to normal brightness.............Totally confused! DC wiring not something I understand at all... wiring a house I could do blindfolded, thou I wouldn't. could really use some good input, I'm up hear in the great state of Alaska not finding much help.
TULIP

Terryruuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #2

Sounds like a ground issue, if things are acting that funny. Power starts looking for a ground jumping through bulbs. My DP has many relays in engine bay that operate rear lights.

153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #3

Check the trailer connector for shorted wires inside the connector. Maybe unplug the trailer harness under the back, if it has one.

It also seems like the signal flasher stopped working. Check it and its power supply.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #4

thanks for input, 6am hear in Alaska with rain right now

hope to checkout your suggestions later today.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Terryruuti,
Assuming no critters have eaten away wiring, the flasher sounds like the guilty component. Consider purchasing another flasher. Not expensive even if not the problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

Well, no progress as of yet. Bought a new flasher and hazard relay, no dice, still didn't work.
Most weird I must say, I just left the key off and applied the break and break lights came on no problem there......Then pulled the 4-ways on and mid-ship lights came on with both elements on, blinkers came on front and rear with both elements burning as well, still no blink, blink, blink, soooooooo frustrating!!!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like a ground issue to me.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #8

? don't think its grounding issue now.....

I ran a ground wire directly from battery to grounding bar for rear left turn signal
and that didn't work, so I'm thinking grounding may not be the issue.

Wondering now about the module on the dash which contains the left/right turn signal lights, and maybe the relay that makes the blinker sound?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #9

I have had light issues "way back when".
I used my battery charger as a low power source and then proceeded to step-by-step go down the wiring circuit and usually found the problem.
Once, after being hit from the side, right at the front fender/door my rear lights wouldn't work--this after damage was repaired. Turned out wires were pinched by a hinge crushing them against the body.
Smartass kid at the gas station where I went for fuses after fixing the bare wires, shorted across the burnt fuse with a pliers and melted ALL the wiring under the dash!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryruuti View Post
I ran a ground wire directly from battery to grounding bar for rear left turn signal
and that didn't work, so I'm thinking grounding may not be the issue.

Wondering now about the module on the dash which contains the left/right turn signal lights, and maybe the relay that makes the blinker sound?
I still wouldn't rule out a grounding issue. A poor ground on any of the dual filament bulbs could cause the feed back you're seeing in your system.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #11

OK, re checked all the grounds and bulbs and used dielectric grease on all grounds and connections. Also ran a hot wire from battery to check both bulbs
and they worked. However the problem remains the same.... totally bummed!

Tags
ems, newmar, problem, problems