RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 39'10"

Hi! I am looking for feedback from current/former owners of this MH. Please let me know the pros and cons.

hark582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #2

Hello Hark582
We have just purchased a 2005 Kountry Star Pusher and just love it. We have only gone on a few trips but are enjoying it a lot. The 330hp Cummins is pretty strong .....my toad is a 2008 Avalanche and it hauls it around pretty good. No issues so far anyway.

bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome both of you to the Newmar forum & irv2.
Here is a OWNER's Guide for 05 coach and hear is a Brochure for 05.
Congrats to you both, enjoy your Newmars & safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi hark582,
Welcome to iRV2.

I purchased a 3910 new in 05. Got about 80K miles on it. It has been around the Continental USA twice. I tow 5200 lbs. of GMC ENVOY. The rear axle is at GAWR. I have about 1K left on the front axle. Fuel mileage is around 8 MPG. Sometimes more and sometimes less. I drive at 60 MPH on the Interstate. Overall the coach has been fine. Some things for your to consider and watch for:

1. Drive the coach at highway speeds until you are comfortable. I had to spend about $7.5K to get the suspension and steering so I was comfortable with the coach. (FYI, my first coach was in 1978).

2. Look at the basement doors at a sharp angle. My doors have been replaced up to 5 times for delamination. The delamination happens when the doors are raised in direct sunlight. I carry towels to cover the doors if they need to be opened in direct sunlight.

3. If you purchase the coach, Eternabond all the roof seams. I did mine after 3 years and the coach remains dry.

4. Just about everything on my coach has broken at least once. Over the past 2 years the coach has settled down nicely.

5. The engine and transmission have worked without error, except recalls.

6. Examine the ball joint boots. Replacing them is a major expense. The boots were defective. They split the ball joints must be replaced.

7. Examine the engine dip stick tube. Some (like mine) were routed too close to the exhaust manifold. The tube will burn through and oil will spew out the rear of the coach.

8. If the coolant is green determine when it was last changed. Green coolant is good for only 3 years and needs SCA's added periodically. When you change the coolant change it to red colored coolant (Extended Life Coolant). ELS is good for 6 years and no SCAs.

9. Ask if the Cummins recall has been installed for the exhaust after treatment device. Yes is a bad answer. That huge after treatment device cut my MPG by about 6/10 MPG. I had it removed and had a new muffler installed. The MPG went back up to normal.

Good luck.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. To my knowledge the '05 Kountry Star is good to go!

Peter
Old 09-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
hark582....Gary's done a great job of describing what to look for mechanically. Now, if you have a spouse or traveling companion, take a long hard look at the aesthetics. Are you really happy with the interior floor plan. (desk vs booth vs table, etc.) It's expensive and you will need to live with it for a loooooong time. Personally I love the 3916 because it looks more like a home than a "camper". (it has a round dining table, recliner, etc)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
9. Ask if the Cummins recall has been installed for the exhaust after treatment device. Yes is a bad answer. That huge after treatment device cut my MPG by about 6/10 MPG. I had it removed and had a new muffler installed. The MPG went back up to normal.
Are you referring to a Diesel Particulate Filter? To remove those, at least on the newer diesels found in pickups, requires a programmer to fool the ECM. Were you able to simply replace yours with a standard muffler?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi hawgguy,
The short answer is no. My coach is an early 05 with an 04 engine. For whatever reason the standard muffler did not meet the requirements of the EPA. Cummins took out the muffler and installed a huge exhaust treatment device. There is no connection to the engine in any way. It was just a mechanical swap in the exhaust pipe.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherynWard View Post
hark582....Gary's done a great job of describing what to look for mechanically. Now, if you have a spouse or traveling companion, take a long hard look at the aesthetics. Are you really happy with the interior floor plan. (desk vs booth vs table, etc.) It's expensive and you will need to live with it for a loooooong time. Personally I love the 3916 because it looks more like a home than a "camper". (it has a round dining table, recliner, etc)
We bought our KS new in Houston and got a great deal. We wanted the table but settled for the booth because it was the only one. I really wish we had just scouted up a KS with the table. The booth is not satisfactory.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi SeattlePirat,
The booth can be changed to any configuration you desire. The best places to get this done are the after market shops in the Nappanee, Indiana area. They know Newmar and can match the new configuration so it looks factory installed. One can also have the Newmar factory do the work.

I will be looking to replace our booth in the next couple of years (once we are done vacationing with the Gkids).
Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #11

Thanks for the info, we likely will do that in the future as we have a trip planned to Ohio in the spring.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hark582
We bought our 3910 two years ago and just love it. It is our first motorhome. GaryKD is an expert on this unit and I have used him several times. Thanks again Gary.
There is also a recall on the fuel line. I did not do the exhaust recall for the reason Gary stated.
If you look at a unit with a Norcold 1200 refrigerator, there is a fire recall on that unit based on the serial number. I know because I have one. FYI, our refrigerator did not have an ice maker and I falsely assumed I could add one. If the frig is not set up from the factory to have an ice maker you cannot add later.
Like Gary, I have replaced the Bilstein shocks with Koni which gives a better ride and I believe better handling.
I think you will be happy with your choice because of the quality I see throughout the coach.
JDunn
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #13

Koni Shocks

Good day
My brother was over yesterday and was telling me that I should replace the shocks on my unit if I wasn't happy with the handling. I think I will do that after reading your comments. Up here in Canada things are much more expensive, (as usual) can you tell me what the part # and price I should be paying for these Koni shocks, and do you think I could change them myself? Does'nt look to hard but one never knows?
Thanks again guys
bobbyb
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bobbyb,
Welcome to the Newmar forum and iRV2. The Koni shock purchase and installation is not as easy as it may appear. For my Spartan MM chassis the rear shocks are Koni part number 88051009. I paid $149 each. Installation is unbolt and bolt.

The front shocks is where the challenge may be. For my coach the Koni part number is 902815. I paid $175 each. These are adjustable shocks. I left the adjustment at the factory setting (softest ride). On my chassis the dust shield needed to be cut off the shock so it would clear the chassis bracket. Once this was accomplished the installation is straight forward. The dust shield was removed after consulting with Koni.

Tags
newmar