Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304

Found one of these that appears to be in great condition and aggressively priced - Anything I should know about it before I go look at it? How would this fare for a first time Class A DP, coming from a fiver?

One question I have on it - it has Aquahot, and the brochure lists that as heating - will it include hot water as well, or will it be a traditional propane hot water heater?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The aqua hot heats the coach and your water.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Mountain Aire of that era was on our short list while shopping. From memory, we'd have to go to the 43XX models, to get the Tag, which we wanted. 40' were non Tag. And I believe the Spartan Mountain Master (GT) was in the 43' coaches. The CCC or NCC ratings were lower then we felt comfortable with for Full Timing. (Again from memory, believe it was under 2K CCC or NCC?). And some Spartan's had problems with Ball joints. I know I looked at a 2003 unit that had chassis that that could have been a problem. I do not know if the 2005 Chassis had that as a remaining concern.

I like the build of the Mountain Aire, I feel both it and the Dutch Star were in the sweet spot within the Newmar line up.

Hope those who know Newmar better then I do, will add more info for you, and correct my memory where wrong!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Mountain Aire of that era was on our short list while shopping. From memory, we'd have to go to the 43XX models, to get the Tag, which we wanted. 40' were non Tag. And I believe the Spartan Mountain Master (GT) was in the 43' coaches. The CCC or NCC ratings were lower then we felt comfortable with for Full Timing. (Again from memory, believe it was under 2K CCC or NCC?). And some Spartan's had problems with Ball joints. I know I looked at a 2003 unit that had chassis that that could have been a problem. I do not know if the 2005 Chassis had that as a remaining concern.

I like the build of the Mountain Aire, I feel both it and the Dutch Star were in the sweet spot within the Newmar line up.

Hope those who know Newmar better then I do, will add more info for you, and correct my memory where wrong!

Happy hunting,
Smitty

The one I have found is a 43 foot, tag axle - brochure say approx CCC of 11k pounds, which is waaaaay more than our fiver. It's a one owner coach that looks very nice in the pics - of course, those are always subject to reality. Just scheduled a visit Saturday - now I just want more info on it from people who know Newmars.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
The one I have found is a 43 foot, tag axle - brochure say approx CCC of 11k pounds, which is waaaaay more than our fiver. It's a one owner coach that looks very nice in the pics - of course, those are always subject to reality. Just scheduled a visit Saturday - now I just want more info on it from people who know Newmars.
Thanks for correcting my memory on this, as I'd hate to have caused in one shopping, or selling, a problem from faulty memory! And yes, that's very similar to our CCC in our coach too, and I agree it is very adequate.

So I looked at my list coaches, and I had a 02 Dutch Star that had a front end that was just under the limit of the axle load - with nothing stored on it. And it I also had a note next to a 07 Monaco Diplomat that was overweight on the rear axle. (Looked at it as it was a friends coach, but no tag an non side radiator, so was one of those things where it would have really had to be a good deal. The drive over the CAT scale, again unloaded of all of the owner's personal gear and the heavy rear axle.) I also a had a note next to a Wanderlodge, about needing to go to larger front wheels and tires, due to a weight problem. Axle was OK, but the tires were close their load rating.

I'll repeat, I think the Mountain Aire is a good coach. As I occasionally talk over options with the DW (Of which her option is to always keep the coach we have!), I've mentioned a 43' Mountain Aire with the ISM in it... A newer coach for us, and the extra 3' would be nice too...

Thanks again for correcting my memory, and again good luck on you hunt!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I had a 2005 Mt. Aire 4304 with the Aqua Hot and 4 slides, and loved it. Got the big idea that I wanted the FWS, so I traded it in on a 2011 Mt. Aire.
I feel the 2005 was a much better build than the newer model, but that's JMHO . Once you have a hydra hot, Oasis or Aqua Hot you will never go back to your standard hot water heater !
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi aknavy,
That vintage Mountain Air may have bad fiberglass on the side walls. To determine this:
1. Bright and sunny day.
2. Look at the side wall paint (dark colors first) at about a 45 degree angle, with the sun facing you.
3. If defect is there, there will be what looks like chicken scratches in the paint. These will progress to spider web looking cracks.
4. The only fix is to have Newmar remove the fiberglass sides of the coach.
5. Then repaint the coach in the colors of your choice. The colors must be in the Newmar catalogue.

Newmar has been helping with this cost. I had this done. At the same time I had new:
1. slide toppers
2. frameless windows
3. awnings

There should be no labor charge for these items since they need to be removed to repair the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi aknavy,
That vintage Mountain Air may have bad fiberglass on the side walls. To determine this:
1. Bright and sunny day.
2. Look at the side wall paint (dark colors first) at about a 45 degree angle, with the sun facing you.
3. If defect is there, there will be what looks like chicken scratches in the paint. These will progress to spider web looking cracks.
4. The only fix is to have Newmar remove the fiberglass sides of the coach.
5. Then repaint the coach in the colors of your choice. The colors must be in the Newmar catalogue.

Newmar has been helping with this cost. I had this done. At the same time I had new:
1. slide toppers
2. frameless windows
3. awnings

There should be no labor charge for these items since they need to be removed to repair the coach.
Is this a cosmetic defect, or is there more to it? Would you mind sharing an approx cost range?
Old 05-30-2019, 05:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi aknavy,
This is not cosmetic. No amount of working with the paint will provide a permanent repair. This is a fiberglass problem not a paint problem. As stated in #4 the only fix is to have Newmar replace the fiberglass sides of the coach. Gross cost is around $30K. That was in 2015. In the past Newmar has helped with the cost. You will need to contact Newmar CS to determine what that amount is.

Here is the positive point. If you test the coach and there is no chicken scratch or spider web lines, the coach is, most likely, not got the defective fiberglass. You would be good to go as is. The defect should have appeared by now.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, aknavy.
Here is a link for many items in the coach to be and also below in my signature.
A PDI list you can use.
Good luck in your inspection.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, newmar