Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2005 Newmar Northern Star Pegboard bay leak/s

Our coach periodically deposits water on the floor of the pegboard bay and I presume the area beneath the fresh and black water tanks. I have had the pegboard out once and couldn't locate the leak/s. There is no smell associated with the leak, only a mildew smell which can't be good for the substrate below.

Whats a mystery is that sometimes the leak occurs and other times the pegboard bay is dry. It makes no difference if we've been on an extended run in the rain or if it is dry outside. When we arrive, it's wet or not. It has to be a tank leak, but where?

I did some searches here and found the following thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/fix-f...em-305644.html that may be same the problem I am experiencing.

If anyone else has had this problem I have a few questions.

1. Did you find the leak to be the overflow on the freshwater tank?
2. What was your remedy?
3. Was the leak associated with the black water tank.
4. Did you locate other threads that may give me some insight into this problem?

Thanks in advance
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #2

What that particular post doesn't show is the fresh tank vent valve , that can leak because the overflow tube runs higher than the valve .
There is a post showing pictures of how one member had to extend the vent valve to stop his problem , I'll track it down.

EDIT: I got back in time to add info to this post.
Check out this member's solution to a problem just like yours.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fres...ak-337724.html
Old 06-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for posting this. Tomorrow I will take a good look at my situation and also take some photos to post here. I really do appreciate you finding that thread.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #4
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie72704 View Post
Our coach periodically deposits water on the floor of the pegboard bay and I presume the area beneath the fresh and black water tanks. I have had the pegboard out once and couldn't locate the leak/s. There is no smell associated with the leak, only a mildew smell which can't be good for the substrate below.

Whats a mystery is that sometimes the leak occurs and other times the pegboard bay is dry. It makes no difference if we've been on an extended run in the rain or if it is dry outside. When we arrive, it's wet or not. It has to be a tank leak, but where?

I did some searches here and found the following thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/fix-f...em-305644.html that may be same the problem I am experiencing.

If anyone else has had this problem I have a few questions.

1. Did you find the leak to be the overflow on the freshwater tank?
2. What was your remedy?
3. Was the leak associated with the black water tank.
4. Did you locate other threads that may give me some insight into this problem?

Thanks in advance
Mine was the fresh water vacuum relief valve. Details in this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/vent...ak-338255.html
Old 06-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have found that sometimes when I fill my fresh water tank (100 gals) it will sweat enough to to cause the bay floor area around it to become moist. This happens especially in hot humid weather. I first notice this when I had my peg board removed and was filling the tank. I don't think it sweated enough to get to the peg board but never the less is something to consider.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The leak is pretty bad and appears to be coming from the fresh water overflow tubing. I am going to plumb this in PVC and raise the piping as high as I can above the tank and then back through the floor and the one way collapsable valve.

As you can see this has been leaking a while. In fact one of the P.O.'s slipped a piece of steel under the tank to bridge the soggy substrate.

I'm off to purchased the bits I need to re-plumb this mess. I will put up photos when I have fixed everything into place.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Charlie, are you absolutely certain that running in the rain has no impact on this issue? That is a lot of water intrusion and looks exactly like what I dealt with on mine. My issue was water intruding through the wheel wells.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A few pics of my mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	166589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	166590  

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	166591  
Old 06-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, no. To be honest I'm not entirely sure. However we've been in boondocking until we landed in Wisconsin.

For us this meant traveling with a full fresh water tank.

You can clearly see the mold trail where the overflow vent tube was. This tube was not seated in the rubber flapper valve that goes through the floor. I'm going too start with the assumption that the tube and possibly the vent were leaking.

How did you determine that the water was intruding from tire spray?
Old 06-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Charlie, it was trial and error...mostly error.

The apparent random appearance of the wet spots on the pegboard didn't make sense. We rarely (like twice in 8 years) boondock, so I rarely carry more than 1/4-1/2 tank of water. Sometimes I'd open that door and the board would have a wet spot, but most times it did not. Poking around a bit, I discovered that the wetness was pervasive in the bay. I knew the problem had to be abated, so I set out to fix it.

I began a project to R&R the entire wet bay. I removed everything down to the steel supports and then rebuilt the bay floor. I was appalled at the condition of things under there. It was really bad. Untold gallons of water had been there and it showed it.

After I got the tank back in place, I left the pegboard out so I could observe the tank as it was filling. The first thing I noted was the air admittance valve had failed and water would escape through it. I replaced that, and also ensured the overflow tube was sound. I hoped the problem was solved.

On my first trip post-R&R, I ran through some significant rainfall. After stopping for the night, I opened the bay door and noted wet pegboard again.

At that point, I'm suspecting the wheel wells and I found other instances of the same thing cited on this board. One poster described his duals as water pumps, and when you think about it, he's right.

I have done as much as I can with undercoating, flexseal, etc., to waterproof the wells. They have not been tested in wet weather yet, so I do not know if I have been successful. If not, my next step will be to purchase some wheel well liners that Newmar sells (thanks to GaryKD for finding those).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1542.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	166610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	166611  

Name:	IMG_1556.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	166612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	166613  

Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #11

DO you have the part # for the wheel lines and cost?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426smartin View Post
DO you have the part # for the wheel lines and cost?
I do not have that info. Sorry. I'm sure a call to Newmar parts dept would be fruitful though.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have part of the problem re-plumbed. I was getting syphoning from the water tank when it was filled to capacity. The fix on the right should stop that. I also JB welded the waterproof connectors for my tank sensors back onto the tanks (the bits with Gorrilla tape on them).

Tomorrow I plan to overfill the tank and see if the air admittance valve is leaking when it gets full. I've already located a replacement locally in Plover, Wi. plus I need a couple of hose clamps to finish the flex hose installation.

At the moment I have a fan blowing into the bay to try and dry it out as best I can. It will be days before that happens though.

EDIT*

Well I have bigger fish to fry now. I was outside in the pegboard bay cleaning up tools and materials when my wife let the sink water out. This caused an immediate leak somewhere in the floor above and along the pvc kitchen drain line.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife let the water out of the sink. I immediately started seeing water drip down onto the fresh water tank. It was coming from the hole cut in the floor above for the drain line into the grey water tank. BINGO.

Anyway I removed the panel cover from the piping under the sink and found that the line snaked around to a flexible hose (the kitchen is on a slide) and then made it's way under my refrigerator. I remove that panel and saw that the line dives through a 90* elbow into the floor. That in turn comes our just above my peg board bay door directly above the grey tank. The leak is somewhere in the floor between the refrigerator floor above and the ceiling of the basement and it runs out of the hole cut for a 45* fitting where that fitting turns and drops into the tank.

My next conundrum is where exactly to I cut the wood out to find the leak. Since the floor above is dry I have to presume that the insulation and weather sheet below would be where I need to remove the wood in order to try for a repair.

Given all of the water lines, drain lines and wiring in this area this portends to be a monumental repair attempt.

Tags
leak, leaks, newmar