Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2005 Northern Star - Electrical Question

I am needing to add another outlet in my coaches bedroom. I have sleep apnea so I need to use a CPAP when I sleep. Up until now I have plugged my CPAP into the outlet at the foot of the bed on the dresser slide using an extension cord.

The cord is perpetually in the way. We trip on it and it just isn't a good situation especially when it's time to bring the slide in.

Our washer/dryer has it's own outlet which is at the back on the same side as the dresser slide. The problem with this outlet is that it is not active unless we are on shore power. When we boondock we normally don't run the generator unless it's necessary to charge batteries.

What I want do is run an outlet to the curbside of our rear closet so I can keep the CPAP in the closet during the day and just drag the hose out for use at night when I am sleeping. The only power that I can really tap into is from the roadside of our bathroom and from the curbside of the dresser slide.

There has to be a place I can tap into that goes near the engine compartment but I can't find the schematics for my coach through comnet. Can anyone tell me where I might find them or suggest a place I might tap into?

Thanks in advance.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

DW's CPAP , had a 12volt power supply available, and the 12 volt power required ; even with humidifier ; was only 7 amps . Might be way easier to run a 12 volt circuit into the closet than a 120 volt one .
Old 02-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
On my DSDP there are outlets on both sides of the bed FRAME ? down low.
Check it, down on your knee's.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
DW's CPAP , had a 12volt power supply available, and the 12 volt power required ; even with humidifier ; was only 7 amps . Might be way easier to run a 12 volt circuit into the closet than a 120 volt one .
I thought about doing just that. It appears that the lighting above the bed is 12 volt only so maybe I could pick up a circuit there? I am going back to the coach today (In storage) to do some other work so I will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
On my DSDP there are outlets on both sides of the bed FRAME ? down low.
Check it, down on your knee's.
Siggy
I'm about 90% certain there aren't any outlets on our bed frame but maybe I missed them. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and I will check again today while I'm at the coach.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an outlet on both sides of the bed up near the head on our 2005 DSDP
Medic318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic318 View Post
I have an outlet on both sides of the bed up near the head on our 2005 DSDP
I was at the coach today doing some other upgrades and repairs and checked for the outlets as you and others have indicated might already be present. Nope, I'm not that lucky.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since I have opposing slides in my bedroom it is going to be a little difficult (but not insurmountable) to get power to CPAP. On the roadside slide the battery compartment and electrical compartment are directly below. In the electrical compartment I have the block heater circuit that I was thinking of tapping into and bringing an outlet onto the back wall of the coach from below. I will have to test that circuit because to date I haven't occasion to use it. I have a block heater switch above the passenger seat in the cab so I will throw the switch and test the outlet.

On the curbside slide there is power available from the from the kitchen area but it would be a long run of Romex and I would have to fish it through the basement. Not that big of a deal really.

It seems to make more sense to have the CPAP outlet on the same circuit of the block heater as I don't plan to be anywhere cold enough to have to use it anyway.

It will be an easier run but I need to do some testing to understand if the block heater circuit is available on inverted power. That will be my next project. If it turns out I have power to that outlet (I suspect I will) then I will get the materials and get on with it.

Tags
electrical