Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

2006 Newmar MA air filter and exhaust!

More MPG’S .
I think we all want more MPG’s with the cost of fuel?
So here is what I did.
My M/H info. 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 43’ 3 axle with an ISL 400 Cummins. I don’t baby it, if the speed limit is 75, I drive 75. I get between 6.6 to 6.8 mpg always towing my Jeep on a trailer. I know that some people say they get 8+ with this size M/H but I don’t.

And yes, I know that if I slow down I will get better mileage. I am working on that!

First of all, I have read many post on the Aero Turbine muffler and I though what the heck, I’ll give it a try. I purchased the 5050xl for $145.00 delivered. Had to purchase two band clamps, one was 4” to 5” and the other was 5” to 5”. Total cost was $162.00 and I did the labor. Took me about three hours, pictures below.

But why stop there? I have also heard of people installing the AFE 70-5013 air filter which list for $345.00 but I found it for $285.00. But I decided to do a little more reading and checking things out and this is what I did and maybe you will want to follow.

I found a few studies of air filters on this forum, here are the links to them. These studies are very precise and are done in a real type environment that the filters would see every day in my opinion. What really concerned me the most was the lack of filtering a clean K and N style gauze filter did when clean. It allowed over seven times the particulate to pass over other filters. Kind of scary to me.

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/air.filters.html

http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/techtalk/engine/air_fltr.htm

Here is a little info from one.

Here's the info I have on air filter performance. Tests were done using
SAE J726C Test Method 5-best --> 1-worst

Oiled foam Paper Oil Bath Oiled
Gauze
(AMSOIL, UNI) (K&N)

Large particle efficiency 5 5 5 4
Small particle efficiency 5 4 1 2
Airflow capacity 5 2 3 5
Dust holding capacity 4 2 5 2
Load up characteristic 4 1 5 1
Backfire characteristic 3 2 5 3
Cleanability 4 1 4 3

Well after reading the test results and knowing that I didn’t want to have to clean a AFE filter every three thousand miles and knowing that it does not filter that good I didn’t want to go with it. And a foam type filter would not be available because of the size, so I did this.

My Spartan book has the listing for my stock air filter, it is a Racor 62891-001. When I read about the filter I was surprised at the specs of the filter. A diesel mechanic that I know said many of the M/H’s do not have adequate air flow to the engine even with a new filter, let alone one that has a few miles on it.

ECOLITE
Specifications 062891001
Air Flow 820-1200 cfm
(23.2-34.0 cmm)
Height 24.0 in. (61.0 cm)
Diameter 9.8 in. (24.9 cm)
Outlet Size 6.0 in. (15.2 cm)
Inlet Size 6.0 in. (15.2 cm)
Weight 16.0 lbs (7.3 kg)

So I went to the Racor web site and found this filter that is the same style just 1 ¼ larger with bigger ib=ntake and outlet, Racor 62891-002

You might say that is not that much bigger? I say do the math.
1.25x (pie)3.14 x 24 equals. Well you get!

ECOLITE
Specifications 062891002
Air Flow 1100-1650 cfm
(31.1-46.7 cmm)
Height 24.0 in. (61.0 cm)
Diameter 11.0 in. (27.9 cm)
Outlet Size 7.0 in. (17.8 cm)
Inlet Size 7.0 in. (17.8 cm)
Weight 19.0 lbs (8.6 kg)

As you can see, the flow difference of the filters a lot. But one thing that I feel makes big difference too in the amount of particulate matter that the filters can hold before reaching the life expectancy of the filter. The larger filter can about one hundred grams more, giving it a longer life. Also, my stock filter cost me $117.00 plus $17.00 shipping while the larger filter is $97.00 and know shipping. It is a stock filter a Freightliner.

So I decided to go with the lager filter, I had to order a 90 degree angle from 6” to 7” (sorry I don't have a picture for you) and a straight 6” to 7” and I ordered the correct clamps to hold the filter, 2 @ 12.50 part #71921-002.

Total cost for filter and parts, $185.00. I had to cut my air filter stand down 1”. Took 1” off the down pipe that goes into the 90 and take 2” off the pipe from the filter to the turbo. I also cut the clamps in half to make it easier to change the filter. The way my M/H is set up, the coolant tank is very close to the air filter and I had to bend the clamps down to change the filter. Now I just unbolt the front of the clamps. It took me 4 hours to do the job. Here are a few pictures for you.

So what did I gain? Well I spent $330.00 so I was hoping to gain .5 mpg and I got more. I feel that would be a good investment in doing these two things, that’s about $0.30 per gallon savings and it will add up fast.
But this is what I got. First trip out and I averaged 7.8 mpg. That is a plus $0.40 per gallon savings and my M/H felt peppier and ran cooler. Well there ya go. Hope I helped you out. I might even go the larger 13 1/2 filter if I have the room, the spec on that are a huge jump in flow.

Almost forgot. The old air filter when new would always put the vacuum gauge just in the red when I checked it after a trip. The new filter has not gotten past 2.

I think it is a good deal. Thanks Guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Muffler 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	35607   Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	35608  

Name:	muffler 3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	35609   Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler 4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	35611  

Name:	mufflwe 5.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	35612   Click image for larger version

Name:	air 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	35613  

Name:	air 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	35614   Click image for larger version

Name:	air 3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	35615  

Name:	air 4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	35616   Click image for larger version

Name:	air 5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	35617  

hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting post hes4all we can spend some money on these coach's whether a DP or the gas I have.
You have allot of info to take in with all the links.
As long as there is results for the money we should be happy.
When you have the time to relax and enjoy the ride the miles may go up some more for more satisfaction.
Enjoy and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been contemplating doing the larger filter upgrade as my rig has a Banks kit on it and the small Farr Ecolite runs at 15 inches when new,and if I run it hard it shows 22. When I do ours I'll use all new 7" pipes and tubes right up to the turbo. It's not really expensive either. Will need to have some aluminum welding done though for the filter minder fitting. The mounting brackets are a standard part too. Will need to open up the plenum in the side of the MH but that's easily done (I think!).
Anybody know the inlet diam of a Holset turbo on an ISC? The housing has been changed for the Banks kit but it's the same as stock.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
The filter tests linked in the thread should not be used to evaluate the K&N "big diesel" filters. The K&Ns in the tests are their typical oiled elements. The K&N "heavy duty commercial" filters for big diesels use a non-woven synthetic filter media that does not rely on oil to trap dirt. I don't know that the new K&N works any better - I'm just pointing out that if the filter test describes the K&N filter element as oiled, it wasn't done on what K&N is now selling.

Mr D - The key to your idea of running 7" all the way to the turbo will be how you manage the reduction in ID down to the turbo inlet. The off-the-shelf adapters that I have seen would, IMHO, introduce turbulence and limit flow. I would take the 7" ID down to the inlet ID over a 6 to 8" taper. Or if you have a velocity stack on hand that matches the Holset ID, fit that into a silicon reducer so that the rolled trumpet sits inside the 7" tube/hose.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will need to reduce the 7" to the turbo inlet size with a 90° reducing elbow. I see they make them, now I just need to find a cheap place for the 7" straight through elbows. I found one place but they want $76 each and I need three. The reducing elbow I can get for less than $15 and the 7" tubing is relatively cheap too.
I think the turbo is a 5" inlet, guess I'll measure it tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for sharing this information; the timing couldn’t be better for me. My Travel Supreme with a MM chassis and a Cummins ISL is due for an air filter and I want to explore this option. I’d appreciate it if you would share your sources for the parts. My MH is in storage right now, but my guess is that I may need some parts slightly different from what you used and a supplier with a good selection may be quite valuable.

Thanks
GaryM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #7

The part number of the above alr filters is for Racor. They make the econolite filters. As for the 90's and other parts, got them from Freightliner along with the filter!

I used a 6" to 7" 90 and a 6" to 7" straight! They cost about $40.00 for both!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM2 View Post
Thanks for sharing this information; the timing couldn’t be better for me. My Travel Supreme with a MM chassis and a Cummins ISL is due for an air filter and I want to explore this option. I’d appreciate it if you would share your sources for the parts. My MH is in storage right now, but my guess is that I may need some parts slightly different from what you used and a supplier with a good selection may be quite valuable.

Thanks
Here is where I've been looking:
Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #9

Just bought the 11" filer from FLEET FILTERS.COM. 4 year old filter wasn't even dirty but it was time. Just want to let you know how the filter was shipped. Along with the 11 air filter,I had ordered a $48 oil filter for my ISM and a Air & Fuel filter for my Onan Gen. This company charged $20 shipping and instead of putting them all in a a big box, they took the big oil filter out of the original box and shoved it up into the inside of the 11" air filter along with the fuel & air gen filter. Think twice before you use this company. I've used them for the last three years and this will be the last time. E-mailed them with my worrys, because when I pulled the 11" out of the box, the oil filter fell out and put a big dent in it. Not wrapped or sealed. Haven't heard a word.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here is where I've been looking:
Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps
Looks like a great site for the parts that you will need. But, they charge more than I paid at Freightliner for sure. For the 6-7 90 I paid $30.00 just to let you know.

Good Luck

Tags
newmar