Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question 2007 Bay Star slide-out problems

Having some issues getting both of the slides to go out. Press the button to extend the slides, nothing happens. Intermittent at times. Battery voltage is good. Both fuses in the breaker panel are good. Called Newmar, no idea. Was in the rig this weekend, was able to get them out and back in again. Tried it again after getting home, same problem. Anyone seen this?
davejostef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome davejostef to the Newmar forum and irv2.
The first thing I would check is a loose battery ground cable to frame of coach or on side of battery. Check the plus side also on battery.
On your coach I believe you have to hold the slide switch for slide to operate if the batteries check out ok than I would pull the switch's and make sure spade connections are good.
Both slides would say its common fault which would be battery + or -.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi davejostef,
Does the computer voice come on and provide the warning? Does the light above the switch come on and stay on or does it come on and blink? Do you have manual or power slide locks?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
2007 Bay Star slide-out problems

The voice does not activate when pressing the button for the main slide. manual locking.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We had that problem and it was a corroded ground cable from the hydraulic pump. It would make contact occasionally, I lightly pulled on it and it came off frame.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi davejostef,
If the light above the switch comes on and blinks, while you are holding the button, the problem is in the electronic control module(s). If there is no light the problem is in the power supplied to the control modules(s). Check the fuse(s) that supply power to the control module(s). With a meter, make sure there is power to the control module.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
......Does the computer voice come on and provide the warning? Does the light above the switch come on and stay on or does it come on and blink? Do you have manual or power slide locks?
Hello Gary, since I have a BS too, I'm very interested in this post.
I never heard a VOICE, just DW talking to me!!! to be quiet.
Sofar everything works on our BS and I hope for a long time. We just got used to it... Took us a while

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Vibration while driving is causing something to become loose check wiring even the fuses reset in slot and make sure knife blades are in metal fuse slots.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TW,
I admit I have not worked the slides on a BS. On other Newmar coaches, when the man living area driver's side slide is extended, a female computer voice recording sounds. "She" reminds the user to unlock the slides and clear the path for the slide. There is then a 5 second delay before the slide begins movement. I do not know if the voice/delay is also part of the BS.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #10

Hi Dave. I had the exact same problem with my 2007 Baystar. Very frustrating. After calling the dealer and going through the checklists suggested above I sat in the driver seat in frustration and jiggled the ignition switch (with a great deal of anger and malicious intent) with the key in it and then took the key out just like I did all the times before and you guessed it, everything worked. It was probably the ignition switch having a temporary malfunction. The problem has not come back since. I doubt the machines decision to work had anything to do with my sudden use of salty language. Dave, most of my problems with my Baystar have the same root cause, operator error. But this was a genuine gremlin not of my making. One more bit of advice, pay close attention to the manual lock arms. They rattle and bounce and must always be checked even when you don't use them. They are like the unloaded gun that goes off. I now have to replace one that I bent when opening by front slide. What year is your BS. I'd like to compare notes with someone who is dealing with decal problems.

Denis
2007 Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Denis, on my 03 KS w-22 had a problem with harness wiring for ignition switch which goes over a metal bend at top of steering column. When you move steering wheel to adjust, wiring harness will chafe on this bend and may cause wiring to wear and blow fuses for chassis or any other possible problems.
I removed the wrap around and placed a spaghetti wire protector around wires going over this bend. While your at it check wiring going to your switch for any loose wiring spade clips.
If you have a Ford chassis you may have same metal bend.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Bay Star Slide-out problems

Checked the voltage from the batteries with a meter, cleaned all the connections to battery, searched under the Rig to see if there was any loose connections, nothing, everything worked again. Took the rig out again this weekend, slides wouldn't work. Pulled the switch and checked for voltage, nothing from the power source, no lights, voice, nothing. Still had good voltage from both house batteries. Packed up and came home. Tried the slide on Saturday, now working again. Pulled the swtich and checked the voltage, now showing voltage. Called Newmar again, talked to a tech, said it might be the Slide room controller. Just have to find out where both of them are located on the Bay Star to check all the connections and narrow it down even further.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi davejostef,
I know this is very frustrating for you. It does sound like it is in the control circuit. So as not to spoil another trip, consider purchasing a portable starting battery for cars. I carry one of these, in the toad. If the slides will not operate, find the slide motor connections. Hook up the starter battery to the motor leads and operate the slides in and out with this power source. Once you know which connection opens the slides just reverse the connection to retract the slides. I've gone so far to put quick disconnect leads on slide motors. It is inconvenient, but it does work.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Still sounds like something shaking loose from vibration. Your controllers main slide could be under your kitchen sink area, bedroom maybe in bath sink area or linen closet or cloths closet. The plugs on control boards should snap in and stay in.
You may have three power, motor and controls.
You may look at voltage with meter but you really have to check battery cables negative to chassis frame of house battery.
The 12v fuse panel wiring for curcuits off fuses should just check tightness of screw holding wire to fuse location.