Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What navigation system did Newmar install in your coaches? I know it was a Pioneer but what model number. I know Peter and Bob had the optional system. I am confused to what the standard system is now.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What navigation system did Newmar install in your coaches? I know it was a Pioneer but what model number. I know Peter and Bob had the optional system. I am confused to what the standard system is now.
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #3

Pioneer AVIC D2 is the 2007 EXDP standard. The AVIC Z1 was in the first 2007 demo coach and thus some early order folks were able to request it as a regular production option because of that brochure "blunder".
Note the retail price on a Z1 is now where the D2 was several months ago. Apparently, the two units are not exactly plug-n-play swappable.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #4

Actually they are probably near plug and play differences I believe. They both take the same inputs and outputs. The add-on Bluetooth is a plug and play, one plug and it's done.
The main difference, phisically, is the D2 is DVD disc dependant where as the Z1 operates solely from a 30 Gighz. server.

Peter
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #5

It all depends. Apparently the Newmar engineers and beauty-bosses don't like the way the Z1 sits in the standard EXDP dash opening. The D2 sets somewhat recessed and the Z1 must be slightly larger and does not quite recess into the dash opening "as nicely." Apparently - from the parties that have swapped - that is all trivial aesthetics. The other "issue" seems the connection plugs (agreed they have the same I/O) are apparently quite different necessitating some form of wiring harness redo. Unfortunately, I can not get real clarity on exactly what is going on with the harness differences. Bottom line is that D2s have been swapped with Z1s by dealers. Howard RV in Wilmington included.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #6

Hey John,

I discovered yesterday that my GPS is lost! When in Destin it shows me somewhere north of Panama City. Another add-on for my list when in Nappanee next week. We leave in the morning.

John, 2005 4502 Essex heading to the factory
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:41 AM   #7

We like Peter and Bob have the AVIC Z1. Like Racer0624, ours gets lost frequently. I've seen it show us in North Africa. It also turns on spontaneously. It's on our list of repair items for our visit to the factory.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Let's change the topic a little. I was told the same thing about the Z1 "didn't fit properly". So the Z1's map are on the hard drive and the D2 are on disk. I know the Z1 has bluetooth capabilities (wih add on). I really like the idea of storing the maps and music on the hard drive. What else would appeal to someone to "upgrade" to the Z1? I still have a few weeks to change mine to the z1 before the coach gets built.

On our 04 Essex the mount for the GPS antenna had rusted and had to be replaced. We were not aware of the problem and the techs at Nappanne fixed it for us when we were at the factory. They also fixed the GPS to operate when the key was in the "ACC" or "RUN" position. The techs told us that some units left the fatory like that and some did not. It allows you to plot destinations in your free time while stopped and the coach not running or the jack alarm going of if your are stopped.
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 AM   #9

My Z1 was set up to operate on ignition on or accessory position.
Some of the other desirable features on the Z1 include a 10 Gig. storage for an automatic music library (any CD's played are automatically written to the library, so no discs required after that.) with all music available by artist, album or song called up by touch screen or voice command, navigation learning to mirror your preferences in favorite routes, driving techniques etc.
The fit, like the D2 is a double DIN and it does fit well and flush.

Peter
Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

I always like to come along and "muddy" the waters...

If you're in the market for an in dash Pioneer NAV along the lines of the Z1, you'll now be buying a Z2 model.

Having learned the cutout size in the Hummer H3 would accept a Z1,I had my audio/video "guys" in Wilmington try and get me a Z1....No can do,as they're pretty much all gone.
The Z2 is in fact on the street and pretty much the same unit as the #1, just a new model year.

I will be installing a Z2 in the H3....got all those numbers straight?

Jeff is correct in that anyone that "asked" early on for a Z1 got one,but you had to ask...In my case I was told all along when I ordered the EXDP the Z1 was "the" unit,until I placed the order....Thanks to Ken Williamson I got what was advertised.

I must say I also like the Z1 or the Z2 WAY better than the setup in the LADB,as the NAV and radio are two separate units and in my mind not as user friendy as I got used to be Z1 being....Maybe in time I'll get used to it.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:08 AM   #11

For me the big Z1 advantage is the automatic music CD ripper. Put a CD in and it burns it to the hard drive. Now, you never need that CD again and can play music from the touch screen any way you like it.

Iron_man: Are you actually getting an upgrade from the D2 or is Newmar installing the D2 and your dealer then replacing it with the Z1?? Newmar (and my dealer) told me in no uncertain terms that Newmar would ONLY install the D2 and if I wanted the Z1 I could change it after the fact . Are we getting two different stories?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:09 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

By the way....my '07 EXDP's Pioneer worked off accessory,but I had to have the gang reconfigure the LADB to do so.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by racer0624:
Hey John,

I discovered yesterday that my GPS is lost! When in Destin it shows me somewhere north of Panama City. Another add-on for my list when in Nappanee next week. We leave in the morning.

John, 2005 4502 Essex heading to the factory </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine was lost also. It made a trip quite exciting as commands were no where near where it said. The techs at Newmar found out what was wrong---- the GPS antenna on the roof had not been secured adequately when it was sealed and the antenna had moved off the base slightly. They resealed it on the right place and it has been fine since.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #14

Hey Guy's
Bought our 07 Essex 4508 last Oct. at the DFW RV show in Dallas.Picked it up in Nov. We made one fast trip from DFW area to the Jack Danial BBQ cook offs in Tennessee.About 1600 miles (give or take). My point is, WE have many trips planed but have not started yet because of other pre planed trips.
We start our journey in two weeks and can't wait!
We are figuring things out as we go, but one of most difficult is the Pioneer System. We did recieve a DVD in our bags that we can not get to work & a owners manual. I'm sure time on the road will help.
My point is (sorry to ramble on) ours is a AVIC-D1, What is the difference In Z1,D1,D2?
Thanks
eglen is offline   Reply With Quote