RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Writing off any customer issues as "Supplier" issues is a lame excuse. What about Quality Control and Inspection of raw materials. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! What raw materials are failing?? There is no question that Newmar may have a few issues that they control, that need to be addressed. Supplier Issues are a HUGE problem for them. Do you really think that when they make a deal with Sony, GE, Norcold, Dometic, Girad, HWH, Hadley, SPARTAN, etc, that they expect anything less then perfection??? Do you really think they are happy to see reefer changes, washer & Dryers, cameras, etc, changed out of coaches. If I was in charge of the suppliers, every time a supplier fails, I would be pulling my hair out. The end result is that Newmar comes out looking bad. Take the problem with the Spartan belt issue, Spartan all the way screwed that up. They are just coming up with the final fix. Hopefully as time goes on, Newmar weeds out the poor suppliers, or model numbers from that supplier, and we can have less service issues. Some things they are just stupid about. How about those crappy keypads they keep using. It would take very little cost to upgrade to the next model keypad that Essex (the supplier) sells. Newmar should take a hard look at all supplier items and see what they can do to be pro active to head off supplier failures. ARE YOU GUYS AT NEWMAR LISTENING?? How about starting simple with the keypads. Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is not rocket science. The RV industry has to be the only industry left that relies on this excuse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! UM Boating industry. Paul

Old 07-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #17

Actually there are parts of the boating industry(smaller manufacturers 5-10 boats per year, semi custom/custom $1m up) that have been putting out issueless prducts(other than the Cat engines).

Just sold our 50' Post Sportfisher that was an excellent product from when we picked it up it up at the factory(two hour PDI with less than 5 small issues) till 6000 hours(Mann engines) later(still running like a top).
Old 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #18

I to have had my share of warranty issues. Some of us seem to forget how much abuse on of these things take. On a trip to Cape Cod this past week I was amazed that any coach could make that trek up I-95 and still be together. The roads in my neck of the woods are the worst. Newmar has always stood by me on any issue I've had. Sure I wish we never had any issues to deal with but as long as the stand behind there products I'll buy them.Daryl
Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every manufacturer depends on vendors. The automovtive and aviation industry accept the risk and cover the maintenance on the OEM parts. I have never had an airplane (flying for 40 years) or car (won't talk about how long for that) that required me to go the OEM of the part for a warranty issue. I own a "Monday" Newmar..accepted that after issues that noone else had..until rebelsbeach. The parts from the vendors work. The install is supect. Want to be unnerved..look under you dash or "bonnet" at the quality of finish work. I think we should expect the same level of quality and performance from our MH as our car or home. The argument that it is "apples and oranges" is bogus. I didn't pay 200K for my car.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #20

For those who want to delve a little deeper into the whole Quality issue:

W. Edwards Deming

I wonder if anyone at Newmar has read Dr. Deming's books?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With all the problems with 06 and 07 coach's I will stay with my 03 which I can take care of myself. With all the added electronics for controls of different items in the coach reminds me of the CPU telephone sys that were suppose to be easier to operate but no one told the CPU's that.
Will be going to Newmar next week from rally not for repairs but to pickup some tiles to redo entry area and remove part of rug. Will take tour 4th time just to see if anythings different than last 3.
Some thing has to change for everyone.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I'm afraid Dr. Demings ideas have not really stood the test of time. At least not in this country. The TQM/TQL (the Navy's version of TQM) got great press & lip service for a few years but like all other fads, rapidly faded away. The only positive aspects that I could see was employing otherwise unemployable dolts as the TQM guru's.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #23

Deming is not at fault for the failure of this country to adopt his philosophy and techniques. It rests with management who do not have the fortitude to stick to it and instead look for the next quick fix so they can forget the annoyance and effort to implement and go on to other more exciting things.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #24

Much like the building industry, who would rather employ cheap labor, build in a hurry, and go back later to fix-up later (if the owner complains enough).
I've been told it's cheaper that way, but as far as I'm concerned, I will not be a repeat customer of anyone who treats me in such a manner.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #25
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but as far as I'm concerned, I will not be a repeat customer of anyone who treats me in such a manner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, the entire RV industry operates this way to varying degrees.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:09 AM   #26

Perhaps the NKK could begin hosting quality roundtables at the major rallies. They could lead discussions of known quality problems and have the Newmar leadership there to hear and to respond. This has been very successful in other industries. The united voice makes a big difference. We don't have near enough clout as individuals.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:51 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Let me start by saying we have had our issues of getting our problems corrected with our old coach. Even after visiting the factory for 10 days. Our NKK Newmar member at large, Jeannie Fallon is supposed to be our "voice to Newmar". I like that idea of round table discussion. The only problem would you open it up to all NKK members? How big a "round table"? Who gets to "join the table"? What abount non NKK members? The closest thing to that idea I have seen was at the NKK event the Tampa RV Supershow. They had a meeting with the Newmar Officers and it turned more into "why can't you fix my coach" instead of lets help Newmar be more pro-active.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:41 AM   #28

I think you can see, by the participats in this discussion, that some (usually vocal)members are hesitant to speak their minds regarding Newmar.

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote