Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #29

Why couldn`t the round table be started right here? The text could be forwarded to Newmar managers, not that they aren`t aware of the issues posted here.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
I think Mary Beth & Ken have the right idea. Lets push for round table discussions. Unfortunately I also agree with Iron Man that unless very well moderated, they can disintegrate quickly.

And I totally agree that someone at Newmar should be reviewing these posts on a frequent basis. If they truly want valuable feedback, this is the place to get it. All of these discussions have been calm, well thought-out presentations of owners perceptions. Where else will you find this kind of feedback?

Way to go gang.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:43 AM   #31
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Something similar occurred in the past.

A moderator on another Newmarowners web site made arrangements with someone at Newmar to review a list of items that owners had submitted to the moderator.

Newmar did accept and implement some of those suggestions.

I think going through the NKK is an excellent idea, and the best way to go.

I'll talk to Bob about this and see if iRV2 can play a part in this.

I believe our NKK member at large Jeanne Fallen sits on Newmar's board of directors, and should have ideas on how to pursue this.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:12 AM   #32
Administrator Emeritus

I spoke to Dirk for a few minutes last night about this and will make an effort on Monday to pursue it.

There has already been some excellent discussion here in this forum regarding "who" would be involved and so forth and as such I'll try and see where I can take it.

As a footnote, I can assure you that "off the record" there is "someone" at both Spartan and Newmar reading a lot of these posts...

When I had my cooling fan issue on the Essex and was in Nappanee, someone in Spartan's hierachy walked right up to me one day and asked if I was Bob Gregory from iRV2...

It's Sunday and NOTHING happens in Nappanee...LOL!!

Well, there IS laundry!!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #33

Bob,
Good to hear you will take a lead, perhaps it will bear fruit. It will depend on the owners wanting to make it work. A properly facilitated discussion of the masses can create a voice that Newmar would notice. They will listen to a large group at a rally more than a few vocal owners on a forum.

Some ideas on the process:

Multiple roundtable discussions should be established. Perhaps group by chassis and similarity of major components.

Attendees should read and agree to a set of guidelines that describe what is allowed during discussions. It is important that a few can't monopolize the discussion. The facilitators need to cut off the long winded and make rules so that you don't have the "why won't you fix my coach" discussions.

Attendees should fill out a survey in advance. Perhaps the survey form breaks out the major areas such as chassis, electrical, plumbing, fit n finish, dealer repair knowledge, etc. Have the attendees list the problem areas they experienced within the first 1 2 years of ownership. You probably want to focus the attention on more current production 2006 2008. Not sure about how those with older rigs would respond but they may have similar problems to report.

The facilitators could tally the issues prior to the meeting and focus the discussions on the common problems (great example from Jetsmania those worthless keypads).

Newmar leaders should be there to hear the tallied and prioritized results. They may actually share some insights as to how they will address the problems. The user groups I led or participated required the vendor to provide written responses for their action plans to resolve. Vendors love user groups that stay focused on the hype, the fun, and the chance to showcase new products. They have to work real hard when the users band together and demand that problems get fixed.

This would be a great purpose for the NKK.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some ideas on the process </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! I would love in on this!! Remember they are also looking for new ideas to put into future models. So think hard! How about a nice size Sun Roof, up front, that can open and close like in a car?? Maybe we all can build a dream RV on paper, that we know would not crazy priced extras and submit it to Newmar?? Paul P.S. Best idea gets a new Newmar!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #35
Administrator Emeritus

Ken, just to clarify something right out of the box since you mention the NKK.

I am willing to look into this matter as the co-owner of iRV2 and I must offer the disclaimer that I am not acting or implying ANY association with this "plan" and an association with the Kountry Klub.

While you may have an opinion that this would be something the NKK may or may not embrace, I don't want anyone to feel I am acting or trying to act as an agent of the NKK...

Sorry for the political correctness, just felt the need to make that clear for all that may read this.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:44 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Count me in!

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #37

I came across this site while researching for a new unit (it's what us engineers do). All the comments about quality and warranty in this business struck a note because I am currently responsible for all levels of quality to the customers and from suppliers in my respective commodity for the automotive industry, and have been through the transition all the way from the 70's to present day. All the comments are true, it does not cost more to design quality in, in fact it reduces cost. It took a very long time for the automotive companies first to buy into the concept, and second, to have the suppliers buy into it. At the end of the day,those that did, are still around.
The day we see a RV maunfacturer have on their brochure that they are ISO or TS certified is when you will know you are dealing with a company that is truly committed to quality. I personally have not found one yet. The RV manufacturers need to commit to the established quality systems, when they do, you will see the revolution we are all hoping for.
GParij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #38
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
GParij, welcome to iRV2.

Your points all have merit.

All of the RV manufacturers are stuck in the past as far as quality goes.

However, they have no real incentive to change as we buyers keep buying.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
GParij,
Welcome to iRV2. You and I are on the same page.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #40
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You and I are on the same page </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like we can add one more engineer to the iRV2 mix.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #41

GParij,
Well said, and welcome to iRV2.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome GParij to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Can always use your help with these trouble free MH's.
Enjoy the forums and DO post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote