RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

Hope you kind folks can help me....a newbie at this...tonight as I was driving and had my generator running I noticed it wasn't being displayed on the panel and "inverting" was. Then, when i plugged into shore power, and started the generator it was fine. However, when i turned the shore power breaker off and started the generator "inverting" came on again. I checked the generator breaker and it did not trip. any ideas?

SuperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #2

Hope you kind folks can help me....a newbie at this...tonight as I was driving and had my generator running I noticed it wasn't being displayed on the panel and "inverting" was. Then, when i plugged into shore power, and started the generator it was fine. However, when i turned the shore power breaker off and started the generator "inverting" came on again. I checked the generator breaker and it did not trip. any ideas?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not have a inverter but anytime your Gen is operating the Transfer switch decides what is going to supply 110v to coach and the Gen will win everytime in my coach, TS will transfer from shore power to GEN.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:07 AM   #4

You didn't say what make genset you have, Onan or Power Tech. I agree with 007 on the possibility of it being the transfer switch. Additionally it may be a board failer at the generator. Have you tried to get an error code reading? The method is described in the manual and is displayed by flashs on the indicator light. If it's a varitable speed Onan, it may be in the inverter output. The varitable are basically dc generator power inverted, hence the ability to run at speeds other than 1800 or 3600 rpm.

Peter
Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 AM   #5

Hi Peter! Barry has a Power Tech. When it is running, with the shore power disconnected, the Genset light on the EMS is very faint. None of the other lights come on. It was working fine the other day. Paul
Old 12-22-2007, 03:48 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK how about a loose wire someplace like the heavy ground wires from battery bank and from Gen to frame of chassis.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:55 AM   #7

Re-reading your post leads me to believe the transfer switch may be the problem. You said the gen appears to work okay if plugged into shore power. So with it plugged in and genset running, try turning off genset. Coach should go onto inverter for 20 to 30 seconds then shore cuts back in. If this does not happen, then it is just staying on shore power and never switches to the genset. However it could still be no output from the genset as that is what trips the switch.

Peter
Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 AM   #8

Hi Peter! Barry has not chimed in yet. I had him listen last night for the transfer switch to click on and he can hear it. I was on the phone with him and tried everthing from a total power failure to trying with the invertor off etc. He said the breaker on the genset felt sloppy. There is also some king of reset button on the Power tech that seemed ok. He was going to look at the book this AM. Paul
Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #9

It's quite possible nothing is the problem. Call Newmar.

In my EX the "source" display will often magically change among shore-invert-gen even though I have done nothing and regardless of the actual shore power. Furthermore, I can not find that the coach has done any transfer switching either. What's even funnier is the front panel may even display a different "source" than the rear panel.

It appears to be merely an erroneous report on the display panel. This is on my Nappanee punch list for next month as a nuisance problem.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:32 AM   #10

Well, I just called Newmar and they seem to think it's the transfer switch. We are heading to Myrtle Beach on the 26th from the Jersey Shore Area (Wildwood/Cape May). Can anyone recommend a service center for this repair in NC/SC? (Newmar just said to look in the book)
Thank you for all your help! I'm sure Paul will give me some names also.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #11

Hi Super B,
You might try on the way down at Parkview RV in Smerna Delaware. Are you taking the ferry or the bridge.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 12-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #12

Hi Daryl-
We are going to take the bridge. We just called Parkview and they are closed until Jan 2.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperB:
Hi Daryl-
We are going to take the bridge. We just called Parkview and they are closed until Jan 2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Barry,
I would try Mark B. and see if he can give you some help. Might be worth the detour before you get going. Howard RV in Willmington N.C. is close to Myrtle Beach. You can follow 17 along the coast after a stop there.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 12-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #14

Luckily we found the generator problem-one circuit breaker was corroded and rusted at the terminal. One terminal was completely off the breaker. Daryl, thanks for your help. Hope to show you our new rig soon!