RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #1

I had a long chat with the Newmar factory rep at the RV show here last weekend and when I asked him if they were going to be using the UFO chassis he said: "Absolutely Not!!" He was very adament about it. In fact, he was bragging about how impressed they are with the new Ford chassis. I got the distinct impression that Workhorse was not going to be part of their 2008 lineup. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed about that. He also told me that the Mountain Aire gasser will be gone in 2008 but will be replaced by a new high end model under a new name. It will probably be on the Fred chassis. I was really hopeing for a new Mountain Aire high end coach on the UFO. Guess I'll just have to stay with my 2004 / W22.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #2

I had a long chat with the Newmar factory rep at the RV show here last weekend and when I asked him if they were going to be using the UFO chassis he said: "Absolutely Not!!" He was very adament about it. In fact, he was bragging about how impressed they are with the new Ford chassis. I got the distinct impression that Workhorse was not going to be part of their 2008 lineup. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed about that. He also told me that the Mountain Aire gasser will be gone in 2008 but will be replaced by a new high end model under a new name. It will probably be on the Fred chassis. I was really hopeing for a new Mountain Aire high end coach on the UFO. Guess I'll just have to stay with my 2004 / W22.

Jack

Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do you remember the name of the person you talked to?

At the Tampa RV Super Show, John Sammut, VP of Sales & Marketing spoke to the Newmar owners. He mentioned continuing the MACA was at risk(only sold 12 in 2007 model year). The UFO chassis would not be used. FRED has been accepted by customers. He would not say if Newmar would be using FRED.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #4

Gary

I talked to John at the Motorcycle show here two weeks ago when he was here with the Newmar Alstar cycle hauler. He told me no Mountain Aire and no UFO. Last weekend I spoke with another factory sales rep from Newmar at the RV show that confirmed no new Mountain Aire, no UFO and probably the Ford chassis and very likely the Fred. I can't remember his name, but he basically confirmed what John said. I believe he reports to John as the territorial sales rep for Newmar.

Jack

Old 02-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Ya'll are bouncing around the truth...I actually had the truth posted and changed it,so if you GOT my earlier post in an email notification, PLEASE DO NOT repeat it...

The dealers should hear the news FROM Newmar...it's only fair.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jack, was reading on other thread where you mentioned the Fords are pushing WH out. If Newmar goes with the Ford chassis as it stands now for high end gassers I will not be in the market. The Fords I had with 22,000lb chassis could not carry the heavy Newmar box without some chassis upgrades just to safely carry the box down the road.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #7

I agree completely. I don't think the Ford chassis is capable of handling a Mountain Aire type of coach. The Fred probably could, but Newmar would have to do a tremendeous amount of sound proofing to make a "FRED" tolerable.

Jack

Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Bob,
I know nothing about an earlier post or email. I am just repeating what John said in public. He is consistant with what he said in Tampa and what he told Jack. The only addition is Jack menioned about the Ford chassis. I do not remember this being mentioned, in Tampa.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, the answer is or is not inside the walls of Newmar,but as with most pre-model year changes, I've been asked not to post what I learned here....

Having been here since two Sundays ago,I've been all over this place...LOL!!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #10

I was really interested in what Newmar's plans was for the UFO. Was disappointed to find out that they would not be using the UFO and that the MA was also going out. I do hope that they replace the MA with another high end gasser. Planning to trade in 2009 or 2010 and want to stay with gas on a Newmar.

I sure like what I hear about the UFO but I definitely want to stay with Newmar.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I sure like what I hear about the UFO but I definitely want to stay with Newmar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
SCOTTSDALE: ME TOO! but with my being two years ahead of you on the model year curve, I'm not sure I can wait for Newmar to get its head out of the sand! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Seems to me that Newmar is doing all it can to maximize it's bottom line. I have driven a FRED and didnt think it was that bad noise wise, and it was in a lower end coach. I would think Newmar would have no trouble doing the necessary sound proofing to meet their customers standards. Belive it or not, they are getting FREDS for less then the price of a UFO, and the Ford is much less then a Workhorse. We all know that a diesel does have that certain appeal to the common buyers.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Geez Steve.....GREAT POST!!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We all know that a diesel does have that certain appeal to the common buyers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HEY, watch it there, BUB ! Surely there is nothing "common" about all our diesel burning friends-you are one too! ED

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote