RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2008 Newmar Grand Star 3750 ?

Anyone have/had one? We just discovered this model. Looks like a good floorplan - BUT it's a FRED that they don't make anymore and they're under $100,000. Some say 12 mpg! Anyone know anything about these? Problems? it would be our first coach. The one locally will need new tires and batts. thanks for the help!!

We're looking at Newmars now mainly because of you all!! Previously it was Winnie and Tiffin.

jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jimaxp,
I do not own one, but know a fellow who does (same chapter of the NKK). On the + side the MPG is over 10. On the minus side the levelers do not work well. It has to do with where Newmar mounted the electronics. If you can verify the leveler electronics are not exposed to the outside elements, this is a good coach.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Gary. Anyone else?? Seems to be quite a few for sale. Maybe not a good thing and wonder about parts for an obsolete model?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I looked pretty hard at the Grand Star. Levelers and the generator placement were the major complaints and problems. In researching I also found occasional complaints/problems with the wiper motors and the rollers on the slide outs under the refrigerators. These were on top of any normal or traditional coach issues that arise.

I could find little or any complaints regarding the chassis or cummins power plant. Do a google search on Grand Star recalls. Someone even posted those recalls on this forum. You can also call Newmar and Freightliner and request recall information using the VIN. It has to do with the brakes and the refer on certain units.

I was looking at a 3752 at Transwest in Colorado. Everything was ready to go and I flew out with all intentions of driving home with it. Asked many, many specific questions about the coach over the phone. In inspecting the coach there was no doubt the salesman misrepresented it to me. This particular coach had a hard life - whether it was the previous owners or that model line I am not sure. Others on this forum seem to really like their units. I dont know what year you are looking at but there are some nice color changes and slight interior changes between the 2008 and 2009 models.

Good luck with your endeavor.
MoHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jimaxp,
Do not worry about being "obsolete". The engine, tranny, chassis, coach appliances and most coach parts are all industry standard. The body is the only unique item I can think of. Newmar has front and rear cap molds for many, many years of history. Humpty Dumpty can be put back together again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Great info guys! Thanks so much. I have learned so much reading nearly ever thread on this whole board. we've been researching (and renting) RV's for two years. took a year to figger out what CLASS we wanted. Have had so many conflicting advice from very experienced people...gas vs diesel...name brands...dealers...you know. Every time we go to a show or dealer we learn something different. Just last week learned that residence style refers don't use propane....STILL have lots of questions tho...thanks all for your patience!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #7

Good luck jimaxpd. We came very close to trading our KS 35' workhorse for a Grandstar, on the surface it looked great. We flew from Seattle to Denver to take a test drive. I was pleased with the FRED chassis and liked the Newmar buildout. We wound up purchasing a 3933 Ventana from Guaranty in Oregon. In hindsight I'm glad we skipped the GS. The 330 Cummins we have is more than adequate with 10000 pound tow capacity. We just pulled DW's Tahoe from Seattle to Red Bluff Ca, no issues and the AirForce ! brake system fro Infinity Coach in Sumner worked flawlessly. Hook up the airline, no controller or adjustments. The Grandstar had hydraulic discs and conventional (non air ) suspension. These 2 features alone convinced me to go with the pusher. We averaged 7.1 on the trip down which includes nothing but BIG hills for the last 200 miles. Safe travels.

teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar