Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #1

2008 Ventana Drivers Slide Won't extend

Hi All,
As noted above my slide won't extend. Get the audio but no movement at all. Of course my first suspicion is a fuse, but don't know where it is located. Read all the Newmar owner's posts and Qik Tips but didn't find the info. Also found two motor controllers on the passenger side rear, are these for the two forward slides or the rear slides?

Had to have the slide motor replaced on the kitchen slide and although it tested good initially the torque nuts started slipping and I couldn't retract the slide, finally got an RV tech (after calling around all day) to come out at 7 PM and tighten the nuts. Again,everything tested good for five iterations although I did notice one of the kitchen cabinet doors was uneven when the slide was retracted. Next stop the slide began extending extremely unevenly and I quickly stopped and reversed. I note on the drawings that there is a shear pin on the rear shaft and as soon as the rain lets up I'll check that.

Oh, went all over checking for a two inch wrench or crows foot with no success. Not at Lowes, HD, or any auto store. Guess Online is the only place to get it?

Appreciate any info on the slide fuse location(s).

Keep Smiling,
Bob R
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

I also have a 2008 Ventana with the same slide issue. Would work in one direction but not the other. The first time I ordered a new controller for the slide $$. It worked for a while but failed again. As a temp fix I switched the leads going to the motor (reversing the direction). That works but you have to do it each time.

I went ahead and ordered yet another controller but, before it came in, the slide started working. Then the slide opposite started doing it. They are both intermittent problems. My solution was to install a crossover switch before each motor. Now, when it happens, I simple through the switch for that slide. Then push in for out or out for in. I still haven’t installed the latest controller, I just throw the switch. Someday I’ll figure it out but no rush.
Bargeloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #3

Bargeloh
Interesting solution. Fixed military aircraft for fourteen years so really hate to bypass the problem. But as a quick fix I like it. I assume you are talking about the two controllers on the passenger side rear? And what are the pin-outs?

BR
Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobrUSMC View Post
Hi All,

Oh, went all over checking for a two inch wrench or crows foot with no success. Not at Lowes, HD, or any auto store. Guess Online is the only place to get it?

Appreciate any info on the slide fuse location(s).

Keep Smiling,
Bob R
I bought the crows foot wrench on Amazon for like 10 bucks most likely not the greatest quality but does work in a pinch. On my last few coach I think it is a
1 1/2 inch not a 2 inch you might verify first.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobrUSMC View Post
Bargeloh

Interesting solution. Fixed military aircraft for fourteen years so really hate to bypass the problem. But as a quick fix I like it. I assume you are talking about the two controllers on the passenger side rear? And what are the pin-outs?

BR

The two controllers are inside the passenger side pegboard door. They control the front slides. I absolutely agree it’s a temp fix but when Newmar sells me controllers that go bad, I need a way to work around.

Now to find what caused a brand new board to go bad so soon. Could take some time. The temp fix was less the $5.
Bargeloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I bought the crows foot wrench on Amazon for like 10 bucks most likely not the greatest quality but does work in a pinch. On my last few coach I think it is a
1 1/2 inch not a 2 inch you might verify first.
You are correct, it is 1 1/2 inch. The book says to tighten to 145 ft.lbs, but Newmar does them up to 175 ft.lbs. You need a really long breaker bar
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #7

Thanks guys,
Just came in from trying various and sundry fixes. Switched wiring between the two controllers and that didn't do it, so it must not be the controller. Going to use jumpers next to see if that works.

Bob
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

Well that was interesting. The controllers in the rear compartment control the passenger side front and rear slide. Found the other two in the basement compartment on the other side. Fabricated jumpers from two old multimeter leads and got the driver's slide extended. Now the normal switch works to retract the slide but still doesn't work to extend it. After lunch I'm going to switch controllers in order to ascertain if it is the controller that is bad.

Thanks again guys.

Bob
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

Well folks, the controller is bad. Will retract the slide but not extend it. Switching controllers ascertained that. As part of my celebration for finding this out I stood up after extracting myself from the basement and promptly walked right into the extended bedroom slide, and yes it left a mark!
Ordered a refurb controller from M&M RV Electronics 386-738-8147. $67.50 not including shipping. They advised me in the strongest terms to run a ground from the controller directly to the house batteries negative terminal and to do the same with all the controllers. So off to Walmart to get a couple of rolls of wire. Next task is to figure out why I'm not charging the house batteries on shore power. They charged fine while I was on the road.

Keep Smiling,

Bob

Tags
driver, slide, vent, ventana