RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

2009 Bay Star Generator Exhaust

Has anyone permanently relocated the exhaust for their generator on an older Bay Star coach?

Ours is located right behind the passenger tire. Typically, when we are setup the table I use for cooking is right at the end of the awning and very close to the exhaust. And, since it is on the same side that we would always sit it can be a little noisy when boondocking.

It just got me to thinking if I could re-direct it and move it towards the back of the coach or to the complete opposite side.

Thoughts?

jhick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #2

Most people just buy the exhaust extension that routes the exhaust gases to above the roof. Around $110.

But over the years, I have seen rerouting of the genset exhaust but it's rare.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

On my BSS the gen is in the middle on the driver side, but located under the FWS. Newmar routed the exhaust to exit in front of the driver side front tire. So it can be done. But if you’re expecting that moving the pipe will reduce noise level, I think you’ll be disappointed.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

on my baystar the exhaust is in the back behind the rear tires driver side. but i agree, an exhaust extension pipe is your best bet. in fact ive seen several venues (football games, car races,) where they are required.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #5

Thanks everyone who has replied so far.

Yeah, I looked at, and thought about, extending it above the roof. I was hoping to keep it under the coach and "kind of" hidden. But, as I have read and mfredm states, it is required in some venues. So, that might have to be my primary option.

Also, I get that moving it won't "quiet" the noise, just don't like the fumes when boondocking and sitting under the awning or cooking breakfast outside more than anything. The noise isn't really that bad even where it is located.

We'll see if anyone out there has had luck routing it to a different location than where they installed it on the 2009s.
jhick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Exhaust Snorkel

You may want to consider a snorkel like the Genturi that will route the exhaust fumes to the roof. I bought one for my old Class C and I am using it again for my Bay Star since the exhaust always seems to be under a slideout.
Here's a link. Have used it while boondocking for a few years, works great. Also reduces the exhaust noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G.../dp/B000BUU5XG

- John

jl2000 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, generator