Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

2009 Ventana ISC 360 Engine Brake

Hi Everyone. We're trying to break into the Newmar owners group by looking at a used 2009 Ventana. This motorhome has the Cummins ISC 360 Engine. Did they all come with 2 position Engine Brake? The dealer sent us a pic and there is a engine brake button that shows simply on and off. The model number of coach is 4386 but in the 2009/2010 brochure it doesn't even list that model nor that engine. In the 2011 brochure it does list the 4386 and the ISC 360 motor with 2 stage compression brake. Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 , and possibly the Newmar family.

To the best of my knowledge the ISC was offered with either exhaust brake or compression brake ( two stage engine braking ) . To confirm you'd need the engine serial number and to call Cummins Care.
Or the original build sheet from Newmar.

Cummins Care .
1-800-343-7357
1-800-DIESELS

JMHO: Nothing wrong with the exhaust brake equipped engine , eight years of operating current coach and haven't needed more brake help from the engine.
Would a two stage engine brake be more effective ; probably ; but if everything else is right with the coach , exhaust brake , wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #3

I agree with Skip regarding the exhaust brake/engine brake. It would not be a deal buster for me.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I called Cummins with the serial number. They indicated that motor came with the Jacobs 490 engine brake. Then I called Jacobs. They confirmed that the 490 is a 2 stage brake but said there should be a Hi/Lo switch as well as the On/Off switch for the brake. If anyone knows where the Hi/Lo switch might be that would help. All I see is the On/off switch on the left console area by the driver.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I would contact your chassis manufacturer vs. Cummins. I'll tell you why. We have a 2011 Ventana 4333 with a Cummins ISC360 diesel on a Spartan chassis. In 2008, as we all know, the US economy took a nose dive. My motor was built in 2008. The chassis was assembled in 2009 and shipped to Newmar. This chassis sat somewhere Spartan or Newmar. Anyway, Newmar built our coach and it is titled as 2011.

I found all of this out at a FMCA Convention when I went to the Cummins booth to obtain service parts and they had no record of my VIN being recorded or assigned to any chassis. They told me to go to the Spartan booth to see if it was in their system. So, off I go to the Spartan booth. I get to the booth and they have no record of the VIN being assigned to any chassis. (1st owner's dealership failure, I was told).

Lucky for me, I take pictures of everything and I have cloud access. I had pictures of the Newmar build sheet and all of the various information labels that Newmar puts throughout the coach. I also had pictures of the three position engine brake (Off, Low, & High) and all of the engine filters.

After spending an hour with Spartan, they were able to pull all of the chassis information and we got it registered. They also had all of my parts in stock and they had better pricing when compared to Cummins. And, that is why I would call your chassis manufacturer. They assemble all of the various and separate components onto one chassis.
Dreamer1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #6

I'll throw in too that a call to chassis manufacturer is in order .

Because my old coach doesn't have a " smart wheel ". I'd have to ask if possibly the two stage is , smart wheel function ?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

Well I've called everyone I could. Newmar said to call Cummins. Cummins verified that the motor serial number indicates they installed a Jacobs 490 compression brake at their factory. Jacobs verifies that the 490 is a 2 stage brake. Spartan says they have no information in their files regarding the compression brake because it was installed at the Cummins factory. They said that the control switch should have a Hi/Lo setting. The picture of the switch the dealer sent me shows an On/Off switch but no Hi/Lo. Spartan did say that it is possible that the switch is incorrect for the motor/brake combination. I guess I'll find out when I drive it. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprandkpr View Post
Well I've called everyone I could. Newmar said to call Cummins. Cummins verified that the motor serial number indicates they installed a Jacobs 490 compression brake at their factory. Jacobs verifies that the 490 is a 2 stage brake. Spartan says they have no information in their files regarding the compression brake because it was installed at the Cummins factory. They said that the control switch should have a Hi/Lo setting. The picture of the switch the dealer sent me shows an On/Off switch but no Hi/Lo. Spartan did say that it is possible that the switch is incorrect for the motor/brake combination. I guess I'll find out when I drive it. Thanks everyone.

I have seen one switch that has 3 positions, rocked one way is low, middle is off and rocked the other way is high.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Thanks Stuart and to everyone else who helped me. Talked to the dealer and they assured me it is a 2 stage brake and they will show me how it works. One step closer to the Newmar family. BTW just to show the journey we've taken to get here, my wife and I started with a Six Pack camper on the back of a Ford Courier. Next came a Lance camper on a 1 ton Chevy. Then a Holiday Rambler Admiral gas Class A. Then a Discovery diesel pusher. Then a Fuzion Toy Hauler pulled by another 1 ton Chevy Dually. And now hopefully a tag axle Newmar. Boy life is fun!
Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #10

WHAT ! No tent and pop-up .

Hope the Newmar is up to your expectations, mine still is.

Tags
brake, engine, vent, ventana