Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3810 slide problems

I contacted Newmar Corp and was told a basic procedure to fix my bunk bed slide alignment problem. I'm hands on but need a little guidance prod. This is the 5th time in the last 2 years the slide has binded on the forward side which knocked the slide off about 1.5 inches front to back when closed. The rear sticks out about 1.5 inches when in the closed position. Any help or procedure would be most welcome!!
R/Jeff
jeffsan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Is it a full wall slide? Was the jacks put down and coach leveled?
This is the result of a coach not leveled.

Reset of full wall slide.

Other info of Newmar slides.
If you can release the torque bushings and with help of a couple of people all push the end of slide in to adjust and square the slide flush to sealed wall recess.
Below in my signature are three links for other info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the reply!! Yes the coach was/is always "jacks down & leveled" before I move any of the 3 slides. This slide is the RR (passenger rear) housing the bunk beds, and our dresser/standup clothes lockers-TV in between. It has 3 transtorque bushings, 1 each end & 1 near the single motor. Nuts are 1.5 inches. I already have an 1-1/2 wrench. Do I unloosen all nuts, front & rear or front or rear??? Now that was a mouthful...
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would loosen them all, once the slide is in and locked in than retighten the bushings.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the help & links! I did the alignment a little different (since I was alone). After some leverage added to my 1.5 inch open end I was able to loosen the nuts but could not unscrew them off the split bushing. I don't know if the nuts are supposed to come off the threads or not but I tried with a lot more arm torque then busting them loose-no joy. So I let them be!! So with the slide closed I arm locked the opposite end & loosened the problem end and attempted to open the slide. It eventually un-binded or re-binded to the original position. I retightened the nut. Now the top part of the slide-wall (which has the spring tension awning over it) has to be pushed from inside to straighten the wall but is not fully extending. Also the bottom roller are binding the carpeting now. If it's not thing it's another!!!! I believe this may be a tension alignment for the top & maybe an alignment to raise the slide?
Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

What, exactly, is it doing when it comes out of alinement?

I ask because Redbaron73 and I both had problems with our full wall slides. They were different problems, mine being electrical as it turned out.

Mine would stop the dance of going in and out and leave the back of the slide sticking out even though the front was flush.

It turns out I had a bad ground plug on the control board that ran the rear motor. Causing it to lose current and there by knocking it out of alinement.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
PDR John,
It binds and jumps track so to speak. Then when we bring the slide back in, the back is sticking out a little under 2 inches (not flush to the side of the coach). The front then is in a little too far. I believe the locking arm inside the little closet is hanging up as it has a lot of marks on the steel slide for the arm. As soon as I hear the motor stressing & metal to metal cog wheel sounding it's already too late. I may take it in to the Newmar dealer for some reasoning...But to answer your other comment there has been no electrical issue as far as I can tell.
R/jeff
Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jeffsan - When our coach was fairly new, I was having problems with my BR slide sticking when activated but didn't have the alignment problem you described. In my case, the culprit was the slide topper which was not adjusted correctly. It ended up causing some damage to the slide before I got it fixed. IMO, slide alignment and/or sticking problems are something I want a dealer or the factory to fix.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #9

I know on the kitchen slide has a c channel that the rollers go in. Some of those will bend and allow the rollers to drop out. Once it does, it becomes a regular thing.

Later I'll look up you floor plan to see where the slide is.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #10

OK, I went and found you floor plan. I bet it's the same as the kitchen slide on our floor plan. The tech that I talk to at Newmar last year showed me how they were fixing the problem ones.

It's invasive, but permanent.

They replaced all the roller channel, then on the back side of the roller wheel they installed a glide to keep everything on track.

This was not being done on my coach.

With the slide out, from outside the coach, you should be able to look up into the roller track. It's a narrow channel with whisker sweeps covering the channel. If it's going awry there it'll obvious.

Tags
newmar slide woes...