Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

2013 Ventana rear slide motor limping along.

I’m a bit disappointed with my Newmar today. Two year old Newmar Ventana slide out won’t move in or out without human pressure.

Shop Tech inspected, recommended, and ordered a new motor and will start work tomorrow. I could have motor repaired but quote was the same as replacement (per Newmar Tech Help) for a $700 + labor slide motor that may have 100 slide outs in its life. I have read other slide repairs, but most have a few more years on them before needing to be replaced.

Motor makes a popping sound in different locations until I push or pull wall to help continue movement. Didn’t see any slipping lock pins or other trouble with any wear. I did read that the new slides may move faster, so I hope I get a little more slide speed.
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Vivarose,
Watch the tech carefully. While I'm sure there are slide motor failures, base on the information in your post, this does not sound like a motor. The tech may install the new motor then make the adjustment that was really the problem. There are a bunch of different things can can have the symptom you describe.
1. low voltage
2. bind
3. incorrect control card adjustment

The only way I know to test the motor is by providing a good 12 VDC power source directly to the motor. This can be done with a portable auto start battery and some hand made cables. If the motor works with this power source, the motor is not the problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 2013 Ventana. Dealer replaced the motor and gears. But it failed again after only about 25 cycles. We were on the road and I called Newmar. They have a new controller board that can be set to limit the travel and should resolve the problem from reoccurring (at least it has so far for me). Newmar is VERY good on customer service, call them and ask if they have any suggestions.
JWWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Another idea: I had a similar issue with rear bedroom slide. I used a certified dealer to do the assessment and work. Dealer said I need a motor only and Newmar did not have any rebuild kits. My motor was $450 plus labor. Called Newmar after I took motor apart. Turns out motor was fine but a gear mounting bolt broke and caused all the noise and assistance to get slide back in. Also found out Newmar sells a pulley rebuild kit for about $125.00. I could of saved allot of money had I followed my instincts. I am like the OP motors should last a long time.

Tags
vent, slide