Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

2014 Bay Star 2903 House hold Batteries

Went on a small trip this week and had the batteries go dead. Ran the generator everyday and last night the fan for the gas furnace quit, checked the batteries and the house hold battery was dead. Could smell the fan which made the wife nervous. Left Monday and by Thursday running the generator every day it went dead. Does anyone know away to keep them charged longer and why does the 5500 watt generator running at least 1 hour a day not charge them? Had one before and when battery went dead the generator would start. Had to jump the generator this morning.

Also every time I turn the water pump on it runs for a little bit. Does that mean there is a leak? After using the water, the pump runs and shuts off. Turn off the pump and when want to use water again turn it on and it runs again. Thanks again and appreciate your help allot!!

Larry L

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Larry,
From a RV perspective rather than specific to Newmar, I can offer a couple of suggestions.

Batteries - they are 'house' batteries or 'coach' batteries, as opposed to 'chassis' batteries. What kind of charger/converter/inverter did they install? Are they 6V's in series or deepcycle 12's? Since it's a new unit and the batteries should be fresh, if they (dealer) left the unit discharged or dead for any length of time is not inconcievable they killed the batteries. Are you running a lot of load - like residential reefer?

You may want to to complete your sig with what unit you have so those with the same model or Newmar knowledge can speak specifically.

A 5500W (5kw) gennie sounds like a gas coach by its size, so I'm going to assume it has 2 or 4 deepcycle batts for the coach or something in the neighborhood of 200 to 400ah. If they are fully discharged it could take the genie 8 hours or more to fully charge them, on the assumption that you have a converter with an output in the niehborhood of 50-75 amps. The newer coaches have better converters and inverter/chargers in them than the ones from 10 years ago, so we're looking for a Progressive Dynamics, Iota, or possibly Wefco. Some of the higher end units with residential reefers have an inverter/charger unit of hgih capacity. Let's see what you have and what you're trying to charge for a better idea of what's going on. And of course, what kind of load you're putting on them.

For the water pump it's likely you have an accumulator that holds the pressure so when you open a spigot it releases the pressure as the water runs and then your pump runs to build the pressure back up. This is another feature of a more high-end unit that prevents pulsating of the water flow as the pump runs. Without coach specifics can't tell you for sure. A more standard pressure system has a check valve on the pump that holds the pressure - if that fails or bleeds off pressure then the pump will run occasionally to build the pressure back up. Either way you should not have to turn the power on and off to the pump to keep it from cycling when your'e not running water.

Maybe I'm missing everything completely, but perhaps this can generate somemore discussion to help you solve your issues.

EDIT: Okay, just noticed "Baystar 2903". I'll see if I can find some specs that are specific to that model.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay, found the Newmar site and your model. Nice little coach. It's pretty much identical to what we have as far as size and equipment:

>4.0 kW Cummins OnanŽ Generator with Remote Switch and Automatic Changeover
>30 Amp Electrical Service with Flexible Cord
>Two 12 Volt House Batteries
>Battery Disconnect Switch
>110 Volt Exterior Receptacle
>12 Volt Auxiliary Receptacle on Dashboard
>5 Watt Solar Panel
>45 Amp Converter

You said it has a 5500w gennie - did you get an upgraded model?

45a converter is the same as what I have, that means with shore power or gennie running you power what load you have and what's left goes to the batteries for charging. Not sure what kind of converter they use - some stock ones are not so great (I finally replaced mine after almost ten years) and some are quite good. And it says two 12v house batts - so probly about 180ah of power - that's not much if you're off-grid and running lights, inverter for TV, furnace, and all the boards on your applicances - like fridge, propane sensor, waterheater, etc.

Those batteries cannot stand more than 50% discharge before they need to be recharged - so 90ah or so is not that much - you could easily use that up in half a day or over night. And 45a converter could take 4 to 6 hours to fully recharge them - they won't put the full 45a in them once the reach 80% or so - it tapers off and can take a long time to fully charge.

And again, if the batteries got discharged to dead and left that way before you bought it, or even after you bought it, this can either kill them or severely shorten their life. It is also possible to get a defective battery or cell, and since they are wired in parrallel can kill the other battery as well.

Hope this helps some. Time to get it back to the dealer for some service work - or do some troubleshooting yourself to determine battery condition, charge state, consumption, and recharge rate.

The 5w solar panel is likely to maintain a fully charged house bank from parasitic drain - certainly not enough to charge them if they are even slightly discharged.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry you need to do some reading.
Your battery system is maintained by your Bird System it will charge all your batteries both house and your chassis batteries.
The only way it can do that is you have to be plugged into power from your shore cable or while traveling the alternator charges them in reverse through the Bird System.
One thing that has to be on for both methods is your BCO switch.

Your batteries if discharge allot should be charged with a 12v battery charger to recover them faster a converter working from the Gen will take a while to bring them up to full charge.
Here is a couple of links to read for reference only as to fusing and wiring and your battery system in coach.

12v battery system------12v wiring and fusing

All these links are in the QT's links are below in my signature, plus allot more info.
If you are able to keep your coach pluged in some place with at lease 120v your Bird System will always have your batteries at full charge.
My coach is always plugged in 24/7 all year and I have a 10 year old chassis battery and two 12V AGM's.
You take care of your batteries and you will have a happy camping experience.
If your batteries are not happy all other items in your coach will not be also, your slide motors need a full 12v or your going to run into trouble if your batteries are weak make sure your plugged into shore power before moving them.
The furnace motor need's the same plus all control boards in your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

2014 Bay Star 2903 Batteries

Does this mean I cannot go out camping with out power? I like to go as long as 10 days or so with out power. It is a 50 amp connection to shore power but I thought the 5500 watt generator would charge it as needed. How can I do that? Also I cannot put my slides out with out the generator running or plugged into power. My slide is fairly large and won't work off batteries. I really hope there is a way to camp with out power!! Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I can go to this site and get lots of good info!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

Yes we did upgrade. Double A/C & heat pumps, 5500 watt Onan generator, led lighting, 50 amp plug for shore power, 3 camera's etc. Appreciate any help you can give me. Really like going where there is no power quite a bit. Live in Idaho and lots of places that just don't have it. That's why we wanted the bigger water tank etc. Its big for us anyway. Thanks again
Old 04-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

First, we have the same rig with same geny, bats and all. When dry camping the rig will pull off of all three batteries. The two house and one coach. We can go all night running furnace and lights and tvs and many other things in 18 degree temps and the batteries have never failed. If you drive the rig during the day the alternator will charge up all the batts just fine. When boondocking long term, we run the geny about a hour in the morning, and a hour in the evening, and the batteries never have run low. The WH and fridge board are also always on 12 volt at all times. I think the dealer probably ruined your batteries, before he sold you the rig. Left crap on and ran them down a few times. It's not normal what you are experiencing. If the water pump just runs a short blip every time you turn it on, probably not a big deal. Maybe leaking back through the pump a little. If I leave ours on all night, every few hours it might run a short blip. And we have no water leaks that I have found. Just normal. If it runs longer , and more often, you could have a leak.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #8

After reading your post again Larry, I am sure you have a battery problem. Or a remote chance of a charging problem. We have never had the coach or the geny fail to start after many days of boondocking. But I do keep the rig inside and plugged into power 24-7 when not in use. The batteries are always charged up that way. Refrigerator has never been turned off since we bought the rig, almost two years now. Leaving rigs sit and not plugged in is a sure way to kill batteries prematurely.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #9

Hi Don and thanks for your reply. I leave it plugged in when at home. I put it in my shop as well. We bought the coach last October. I did let the batteries run completely down one time. Plugged it in after asking if I could. I guess I will have the batteries tested. We had the refer turned on to propane. I did not know it used batteries when on propane. Propane furnace uses batteries for the fan I am sure. How long do you camp without power? We went from Monday night until Friday morning and the house battery was dead. Charged it for 1 to 1-1/2 hours a day. I did have to jump the generator. My last RV had a mom switch so that when the batteries would not start the RV I could hold it, turn the key and it would start. I have had one time all batteries go dead. My fault cause it was not plugged in. Thanks again!!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry yes you can camp but you need to monitor batteries more closely and have enough power from them to start your Gen off the house batteries most likely.
All systems work off 12v's for all your control boards for the system's and you need to run Gen longer to charge the batteries back -up.
The Gen will be running the converter to charge all your batteries through the Bird System.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #11

Thanks 007. I heard the deep cycle Trojan T105 6 volt batteries are a good way to go for longer & quicker charge. I may try that. Also Newmar said to go solar. 150 watt Zamp solar panel is what they recommend. Batteries would be less for sure!!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Larry:
I agree with the other posters, the dealer probably left the batteries on and ruined them. Good idea to get them tested, then you can go back and have the dealer replace them.

After that, it would be a good idea to find your converter and see what model it is. If it is a DLS45, like what Newmar was using in 2008, when you're boondocking you can use the jumper they provide to raise the converter's output voltage to 14.2V. This will speed up charging on generator, just remember to remove it before you leave the coach at home plugged in, it'll boil the batteries if left at 14.2V for a long time.

The "IQ4" option makes the charger into a three stage charger. If you do have one you won't have the jumper. If it doesn't adding one will speed up the charge time more than the jumper as the converter will charge at up to 14.8V, plus you won't have to remember to remove the jumper when you get home.

The reason why raising the converter voltage is that the batteries will charge at 45A for a much longer period of time than they would at 13.6V. This is called the "bulk" charging stage and will get the battery to about 80%, as CJBROWN said.

To really speed up charge time you'll have to get a larger converter, the inverter/charger we use has 120A charge capability, overkill for your needs but we also have 400A/H of batteries we like to get charged fast.

Unless your manual says otherwise, your slide should go in and out with batteries alone, especially just after they have been charged. Newmar Customer Service at 1-800-731-8300 has been very helpful with the questions I have had on my coach, I'd give them a call for many of the questions you have.

If you really want to go all out, get the solar, but get more than Newmar recommends, I'd get at least 250W for the 225AH 6V batteries your thinking about using. To know exactly how charged your batteries are there is nothing better than a battery monitor like a TriMetric which measures the current going into and out of your battery bank as well as the voltage.

We have both solar and another brand of monitor which works with our charge controller, we rarely use the generator during the summer, use it a lot in winter when skiing, though, usually not enough sun to charge the batteries with all the furnace use, especially when snowing during powder days!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
First, we have the same rig with same geny, bats and all. When dry camping the rig will pull off of all three batteries. The two house and one coach. We can go all night running furnace and lights and tvs and many other things in 18 degree temps and the batteries have never failed. If you drive the rig during the day the alternator will charge up all the batts just fine. When boondocking long term, we run the geny about a hour in the morning, and a hour in the evening, and the batteries never have run low. The WH and fridge board are also always on 12 volt at all times. I think the dealer probably ruined your batteries, before he sold you the rig. Left crap on and ran them down a few times. It's not normal what you are experiencing. If the water pump just runs a short blip every time you turn it on, probably not a big deal. Maybe leaking back through the pump a little. If I leave ours on all night, every few hours it might run a short blip. And we have no water leaks that I have found. Just normal. If it runs longer , and more often, you could have a leak.
I am new at this but I was told that when winterizing, the hoses to the water pump need to be disconnected and then run the pump. A little water will come out. A piece in the pump can break to cause a small leak and water may drain back to the tank. That may cause the pump to run a little now and then. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #14

Let's bottom line this. ANY battery(s) which are allowed to go flat will have greatly compromised capacity and, in fact, just may be unrecoverable. So let's not indict the dealer if the owner allowed these batts to die as he said. It seems as if the road traveler might as well replace the batteries and start over. This time, the voltage MUST be monitored on a regular basis and never be allowed to drop below 12.0 volts.NEVER! When dropping near that mark, he MUST crank up the generator and run 'till at full charge. It doesn't matter if it's 3 AM, you gotta get some juice in those batts! Also, you really need to bone up on your electrical system and RV electricals in general, lest you zap the new batts too! A good primer for this is an online article called "The 12v. Side of life". Google it.

Without knowing anything about your coach and its electricals, you will be forever asking the questions referenced above.

slabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries