Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

2014 Canyon Star looking at it to buy later

Newbee here. As I am researching different makers and models, I have heard a lot of good things about Newmar. I looked at a Canyon Star 3610 and love the floor plan. Does anyone own this model or brand? I would like to get some feedback from the owners of the good and bad. How well does it drive with the Ford chassi. Also has does it travel with 2 cats and a dog? I have read the specs on the Newmar site, but I want to get the owners opinion on how well they like or dislike the Canyon Star. Does Newmar back up what they say on their website about customer satisfaction. Thanks for all the information.
Snap Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #2

I have seen several happy Canyon Star owners on here, hopefully you will hear from them. We can tell you that Newmar stands behind their product extremely well and we have talked with several owners that got free and reduced rate warranty work done by Newmar AFTER the warranty had expired.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #3

We have a 2011 Canyon Star 3642 and there is not a better gas coach made
Newmar is a great company to deal with before and after the sale they care about their customers.The only problem we had was finding a Ford dealer that repairs motorhomes the closest one to us was 2 hours away so I was not real happy with Ford.We had a recall on a cable for the transmission and a A/C compressor leaking oil.We are going to be trading ours in this fall on a Ventana
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We also are very happy with our 3410. It is currently at the factory for sidewall replacement, done, as nforus said, at a very reduced rate. BTW your 2014 won't have the sidewall issue, ours was one of the last ones made using the defective material. They also gave us a good price on several other mods we're having done.

When the coach was in warranty, we chose to get our work done at a factory authorized shop about 2 hours away as it was near the beach (we lived in the RTP area of NC at the time). Newmar would have OK'd the work at a non-authorized repair shop much closer to home if we had wanted to.

We also had a leaking A/C compressor replaced, it was done at a Ford dealer about 45 minutes away. As Rodneykrantz says, not every Ford dealer will work on MH's, though. The Ford Truck dealer 5 miles away from our house at the time refused to work on them!

We have about 38K on it, driven to Fl and back several times and to ME a couple of times. Camped in ski area parking lots, CG's of all types (mostly State and National Parks, Corps of Engineers and Forest Service campgrounds as we like them). We also lived in it full time for a couple of months during my recent job transfer.

We travel with two kids and a cat. The kids love the bunks and there's enough room so we don't trip over each-other during a rainy day.

We found using a small litter box made from a storage bin fits next to the toilet in our floorplan. If I got industrious I could modify the bed frame to put a door and catbox in there.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
KJB

I think the Canyon Star 3610 is an awesome coach. We were shopping a year ago and had it down to two different coaches, the Canyon Star 3610 and the Tiffin Allegro 36LA. We flew from WI to FL so we could view the two side by side at North Trail RV in Fort Myers. The floor plans are almost identical. There were things we liked better about the 3610 and things we liked better about the 36LA. In a perfect world we could have combined the two to get exactly what we wanted. In the end we did purchase the Tiffin but it was a close decision and I think we would have been happy with either one.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
This forum would not be as big as it is with unhappy owners.
If you look through the QT's links below in my signature you will find information on how to order how to have items done with the help of factory personal directly.
Good luck in your pursuit of what ever coach you may decide on which after reading you may step up one better.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

My wife and I spent months preparing to get a Tiffin bunkhouse gasser and thought we found the ultimate one in the 35QBA. We actually went with checkbook in hand last Friday to the Dallas RV show - but we thought we would at least look at Newmar. So far they have been wonderful, from the sales people to the product line - the Canyon Star bunkhouse (3910) is several notches better than the Tiffin.

In respect to Tiffin - the Newmar was $30,000 more - but we couldn't resist and ordered it the next day. We got DP features in a gasser (king bed, res fridge, stackable W/D, double pane windows, etc).

Our coach arrives in May - but the other CS models we toured were top notch. We even got to meet one of the owners - which sold us on Newmar. We still love Tiffin too - don't think you can go wrong with either company.

Good luck on your decision - I think you'll be very happy w/ a Canyon Star - IMHO the best gasser line in the industry.
fred061164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
So you can pass the time Fred, here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you and welcome to the Newmar family and safe travels.
And the kiddoes' will be happy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 3641 Cayon Star and love it. The floor plan is great for us. The quality os the coach is outstanding We use it for camping and dog shows. It has enough storage for all of the equpiment we need for showing. My wife loves all the room she has for cooking and entertaining.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for all your input.
Snap Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I loved reading about the satisfied Newmar Canyon Star RV owners. We've been trying to make up our mind and now I think we have. :-)
Rose mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Absolutely love our CS. Went to the Tampa Super Show in 2013 having received a price we were happy with for a Tiffin 36TGA. The salesman was nowhere to be found and no one else from the dealership seemed particularly interested in helping us so we wandered over to the Newmar display and the rest is history. The Tiffin is certainly a nice product and may have worked for us. The dealership's reputation has had mixed comments over the years. BUT, we really wanted a king bed, stack washer and dryer, absence of low hanging items mounted to the ceiling to avoid head banging as much as possible ....and so much more. Our CS has been everything we hoped for and both the dealer and factory have gone beyond the norm in trying to satisfy whatever questions or issues we have taken to them. Good people building and selling good motorhomes. Best of luck with your decision. It represents a large outlay but it offers priceless opportunities. Safe travels.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #13

We have the 2014 Canyon Star 3610 and absolutely love it. We looked for two years and explored/researched just about every manufacturer and floor plan available. After much researching and driving as many as possible we narrowed it down to the Newmar Canyon Star 3610 and the Tiffin 36LA. What really made a difference to us initially was the way we were treated by the Dealership at Newmar dealers, so much better than we were at the Tiffin dealers. There were several things on both MH's that showed a quality build to us, but in the end Newmar edged out the Tiffin. We are really glad we went with Newmar.

Both the dealership and Newmar have offered excellent customer service both before and after the sale. We have put a little over 10,000 miles on ours and have spent over 100 nights in it including two one month trips, with little or no problems. We would have used it a lot more but I have been sidelined due to having shoulder surgery since February. We have had it back to the dealer on two occasions, one for some minor adjustments, and part replacements and the second for a micro wave oven recall. Both times we were at the dealer less than a couple hours and took the MH home the same day. We were allowed to stay with the MH and saw how they did the adjustments in the event they were needed in the future.

Ours is built on the 26,000 pound chassis and has an excellent ride. It tracks well, does not sway or get pushed around by the wind or big rig trucks. At this time I see no need for any after market suspension or engine additions. The dealer told me they would not be needed and he was right on the money with everything he told us about the MH. If you look on the actual Ford Chassis MSRP sheet, Newmar orders the Chassis with addition suspension components/modifications that you do not find on all chassis. On a level flat highway/freeway the engine noise is not noticeable and the ride is nice and smooth with very little road noise/rattle. When climbing significant grades the engine noise increases but it not unbearable and you can still carry on a conversation or listen to the radio. It has plenty of power and has no problem getting up 6-8% grades. On the down hills using the tow haul mode, it cruises down the hills with very little braking needed. So far we are averaging around 8mpg. The best we have got is 10 mpg, and the worst has been 6.5 mpg when getting out of town and taking on some of the bigger grades, but we can pretty much count on 8 mpg.

It is a quality built MH both in the quality of components and woodworking they use and how the MH is engineered to the chassis. This is not a MH that is going to rattle itself apart. There will always be things that need to be maintained due to the nature of a MH, but so far it has been very minimal. I like to do all the maintenance I can myself and it is built with good access to the things you may need to work on/adjust. Being a gas engine I feel comfortable doing all the engine maintenance, oil changes ect.

As for the layout we really like it for several reasons. The L-shaped couch with the fireplace is a really nice set up and very relaxing to sit around, watch TV ect. The fireplace actually puts out a lot of heat and we use it a lot in the mornings/evening to take the chill out of the air instead of using the heaters. The bath and a half works great for us, as we don't like to use the CG facilities and this makes it very convenient as well as giving you more grey/black water holding capacities. Also while traveling the half bath is real easy to get to while on the move. Dumping the two holding tanks is simple and really only adds about 5 minutes(or less) to the process.

If you ever do the Walmart or other parking lot layovers it is really easy to put out the bedroom slide, and allows for plenty of room in the MH without extending the living room slide. We have the two penguin AC's with the heat pumps. The AC's keep the MH plenty cool even in 100+ degree heat and the heat pumps work great down to about 40 degrees. We have only had to use the actual furnace in the Sierras when the outside temp got below 35 degrees.

We have boondocked for as long as 6 days so far and have not had any water capacity or holding tank capacity issues, and we both showered every day. We ran the generator in the morning to make coffee/breakfast for an hour or so, and then in the evening for a couple hours to charge the batteries/inverter and have never run the system down. The surround sound and TV set ups work great and have great sound and picture. We didn't think we would use the outside TV/Stereo system very much, but have found we like it and actually use it a lot and is a nice feature to have. One night during the World Series several neighbors came over and we all sat outside and watched the game.

We have taken our dog with us a couple of times and he really loves it. He mostly curls up on the engine cover or at my wife's feet while we are traveling. That is the only animal we have. We have taken our three grandson's with us several times, one 6 year old and two 3 year olds and the layout makes it very comfortable for both traveling and camping.

Sorry for the long response, but I hope some of this helps you and you get a feel for why we are really happy with the quality of Newmar as well as how it was engineered. If you have any other questions please PM me. You will always hear a horror story here and there as seldom do people come on any forum and tell you all the good things about their MH's. You will not be disappointed with the Canyon Star 3610, we are really glad we took the time to do our research as we ended up with a MH we love and will not out grow. Good luck looking, that's half the fun.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Can anyone tell me how many inches is the step up to enter the bedroom?
We are leaning toward a Newmar but need to know about the step.

Thanks
Rose mobile is offline   Reply With Quote