Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #113

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone posted a while ago that the Dutch Star was going to move up to the "Luxury" category but it didn't happen I guess.
I don't like the dark exterior colors either.
So far the site only lists a one year warranty, isn't Entegra going with two years?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #114

No 4318 floorplan in 2014...

Ma Snart
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #115

Also missing the 4338, Ma. Both my favorite floorplans. Hope they have something similar when our time comes!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also a drop in total gvrw. Not sure why, as axles are the same. Must be a frame issue?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #117

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Heck of it is, choices on colors, floor plans and warranty coverage period to the contrary, Newmar is reporting current record sales throughout their product lines and especially on Dutch Star.

They seem to be doing something pretty right!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #118

We totally agree with the comments regarding the 2014 paint schemes and colors. We had really taken a liking to the 2013 Biscotti due to the graphics and the fact the majority of the coach was a slightly lighter color. So we were very disappointed back in March when we found out we could no longer order a 2013 coach. We are getting used to the 2014 Espresso that we ordered and like it more each day. The saving grace is they have made some nice changes inside that we do indeed like.
NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
dpeterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #119

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale and Lisa --

Colors notwithstanding, you will be very, very happy with your '14 Dutch Star. Count on it!

It is one ridiculously sweet machine!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeterso View Post
The saving grace is they have made some nice changes inside that we do indeed like.
Yes that is very true and one item that they fixed (upgraded) was the medicine cabinet mirrored doors. The 2013 doors "leave a lot to be desired". In fact, when I saw the pictures of the 2014 doors, both Deek and I requested a price for Newmar to switch them out on our 2013 units. But the price came back and we both figured we could live with what we had. Now (and at the request of the DW) I am trying to figure out how to do the job myself.

If I am successful, I will post pictures ... if the project does not turn out good, I will just fade into the woodwork!

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #121

I have yet to set foot in a 2014, but just looked at a 2013 4018 and we also noticed the flimsy bathroom medicine cabinet mirrored doors. The handles were not firmly attached. Poor design not in keeping with the otherwise spectacular build quality of the rest of the coach. Good to hear they've rectified the situation!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #122

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger
I have yet to set foot in a 2014, but just looked at a 2013 4018 and we also noticed the flimsy bathroom medicine cabinet mirrored doors. The handles were not firmly attached. Poor design not in keeping with the otherwise spectacular build quality of the rest of the coach. Good to hear they've rectified the situation!

Roy
At the Hershey show last year, several Newmar folks asked how we liked our 2012 DSDP. The DW brought up the medicine cabinet doors and the finger pulls. If your not careful those finger pulls can catch your forehead when brushing the teeth. The finger pulls easily come off and you can use the stick-on knobs and mount them mid way up the mirror. In 2012 the MADP used the stick on finger pulls, but you can find them on line for a very reasonable price. One thing we discovered is the hinges for the mirror doors are held onto the mirror with two screws. Check to make sure the screws are tight. DW was surprised on our last trip when a door fell out, she caught it and I found all the screws on all the doors loose..... add this to my annual maintenance checklist.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #123

Well, after several months of research, the benefit of all the fantastic advice from those who’ve gone before (particularly Deek and skmwalden), whom we now consider friends and brothers in crime, we pulled the trigger on a 2014 Dutch Star 4038. “Pulling the trigger” can be defined as taking money for a downpay out of our accounts and wiring it to a dealer.

I won’t belabor the entire process except to say that our deal (based on % off MSRP) was extremely favorable and we are very happy with the dealer we ultimately chose, Dick Gore RV of Jacksonville. As Hilton Head area residents, since one of Gore’s facilities is in Richmond Hills GA, we have a place to do a lot of the non-chassis warranty and repair work when that time comes and it’s only a 40 minute RV ride down the road. We’re told Manny, Tracey and John Q. are prepared to help us out.

We did have an advantage in this being our very first motorhome and in taking possession of the coach at Nappanee. By doing that, the dealer earns his chops doing a little paperwork and acting as an intermediary between Newmar and the client. Thanks to all of you we had already made 99% of all the decisions. All that helps in negotiating a purchase price. We’re figuring delivery sometime mid to late September. In case you haven’t heard, this is a banner year for Newmar, not to mention, industry sales overall. The word “boom” can easily be used.

What surprised us is that even after several of our specials (and you Newmar old timers know the intricacies of learning the difference between specials, options, and order form items!) were denied, the 24-25 remaining were very reasonable priced. Our 4038 is kind of a combination with the new 4372 model. We kept the big pull out sofa on the driver side and put in a 4373 TV/televator on the “off driver” side (that’s the terminology the engineers used). Between the TV cabinet and the kitchen counter is open space (they can’t put a recliner there) and so we put in one of the tall windows (to be able to see the grandchildren under the awning as the DW says).

I’ll try to attach a modified floor plan and an artist rendering of what the exterior of the coach will look like (my wife did a neat job with that). My blessing and curse is being color blind. She’s a former graphic artist (many moons ago). That precludes me (thankfully) from involvement in many of the time consuming, frustrating, head scratching decisions on decor. Since “SHE WHO MUST BE SATISFIED” loves that stuff and is a “blue” person, I just let her rip. AT her recommendation, we’ve taken the 2013 Canyon Star exterior color scheme called “Seaglass”, shifted the colors around so that Granite Metallic (Blue/gray??) is the skin color and everything else plays around it. Just fyi, since they’re all standard Newmar colors, no problem. We just plugged them into the 2014 DS graphics. I figure they either look hideous or someone may see it and try something similar. Either way, machts nichts to me since I can’t tell anyway.

Here’s what we got among other stuff (I’ll cover decor separately later on since it’s such a mix and match of Ventana, Dutch Star and Mountain Aire fabrics, leathers and colors, it will give you a migraine...as it did me):

Upgrade to 15M A/C
Stack washer/dryer
GE Advantium Convection Microwave
All electric with AGM batteries
Dishwasher (we flipped a coin)
Central Vac (two 90 lb yellow labs. R U kidding)
Winegard Auto Open Face Sat dish
NO digital power TV antenna (crank is fine)
Combo Desk Dinette with Roll Away Table
Heated Driver and PSG seats
Queen Bed
EMS
LED lights
Power rewind reel
Recessed dock lights
Solar prep only
Large chrome exterior mirrors
Large storage tray with access either side
Safe
110 V heat pads
Fold down Shower seat
Power water hose reel
Fiberglass roof
Power door locks, keyless entry
Kitchen window
Pick up at Nappanee
Omit TV/Dry bar and replace with cabinet/glass doors and shelving
Reading lights above headboard
Multiple extra 12V and 120V outlets
Newmar supplied driver/mechanic for trips (ok, just seeing if you were paying attention)

On to financing, build schedules, and extended warranties.....and Kroger for franks and beans
RedBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #124

4038 Rendering

Here is the rendering of what it might look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4038 Rendering v.2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	40431
Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #125

Modified 4038 Floor Plan

The floor plan:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSDP 4038 Floorplan.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	40432
Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #126

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
pessman,

I believe you have taken the Newmar "custom order process" to a new level. Highly recommend that you write a book on your procedure so others can learn from your forging of the trail. Make sure and include chapters on insurance, financing, build schedules and extended warranties.

I think you and mrs. pessman will be super pleased with the final result of your efforts. I for one am looking forward to seeing the "blue based" coach in person some day.

Keep us posted ...

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote