Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
HGC

2014 Dutch Stars ?

Was thinking of upgrading to a 2014 Dutch Star from a 2014 Tiffin gasser and am concerned about additional costs of diesel and even more, the complexity of air ride and the possibility of expensive chassis repairs. The nice thing is that Newmar is closer to us by at least 400mi. so going to the factory for service is much better. Most of the maintenance and repairs I do without too much of a problem but not too sure if I can handle the heavier chassis and complexity. I would love to have your responses and opinions on this. Thanks for your ideas on this.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On a '14, as long as everything is good from the start, none of that would bother me at all.

Chassis shops are plentiful, and good at what they do.

On my 05, I replaced two aging airbags at 250 each. But you shouldn't have to worry about something like that for years. And you'll really appreciate the ride and engine.

I'm a vote for "go for it"
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #3

We are also looking to step up to a Dutchstar. Our current Ventana LE isn't rated to tow our newer Chev Suburban. As to your concerns, you will very easily become accustomed to the new ride as the ride, steering effort, noise levels, etc. are very much improved than your current gasser. Go for it and enjoy!
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 AM   #4

We just got a 2014 4018 DS two weeks ago. Night and day difference from my 2010 gasser that we traded. Our first outing was Columbus day weekend. We had a few kinks like no hot water, no fault of Newmar and I couldn't program the TV. Loved the ride, lack of noise and the braking. Feel free to PM me.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We've had our new to us 2014 DS since June of this year. You will need to perform the maintenance as you did with your gasser. It will just cost a bit more. If you're into changing your own fluids then you'll be fine. You will have a couple extra and new filters that will need changing periodically. Lubing the chassis is no different.

There are probably a few Freightliner dealers between your and Nappanee that can service you coach at probably less cost than Newmar. We have a Cummins Bridgeport close by that services our coach. Including the Onan generator. One stop service.

We very happy with our DS.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star