Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Zak

2014 MADP Jack pump now dead!

The list of stuff dying or breaking in our brand new mountain aire grows longer each dayon our first big trip! It's literally been something every day this week. Went to lift engine bay cover this am to check oil...one of the hydraulic lift arms busted loose from the fibreglass framing...all screws pulled right out...big holes and gouges left...

Now the hwh jack pump is screaming as we tried to level the coach in Vegas. Looking at the metal reservoir, there is oil and dirt all over it. I checked the newmar owners manual, which is a complete joke...a photocopy which has ventana in much if the text...and it says nothing about his to even inspect the reservoir. I unscrewed that white plastic hex nut...and it looks like there's supposed to be common tyranny ATF in it but none us showing on the one inch long "dipstick"...? (Mod Edit)? Did I lose it all during the last leg of our journey? There's not a drop on the ground where we have been parked for 24 hours...

Anyone tell me how to check the level...and if it jus takes ATF? The pump is totally dead now....won't make any noise or move the stands. Fronts are down fully so I can't drive. Call newmar and have them send mobile repair service? Tx for any ideas on how to handle.

I know new coaches all have "bugs"...bug i am finding this to be total bs considering the 75k Montana 5th wheel we sold to graduate to a coach had no issues in five years....
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #2

Sorry to read of your troubles.

Yes it takes ATF, if it won't do anything check the fuses. There should be 3 inline fuses at the pump.

Mine has yellow wires, 20 amp fuse blows you get nothing.

I went to HWH's website to learn how to check the fluid.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
To check oil level the jacks must be up all the way so the excess fluid goes back to the reservoir. That may be where your oil went, to the extended jacks.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should be able to find your HWH System here.
If you do have low fluid the pump will make noise's if not at proper level.
With all jacks retracted the fluid level should be between the two lines of dip stick shaft.
If you back off the T valves on solenoids the springs will return the ATF back to tank reservoir. Do not back of T valve to far instructions should tell you.
If you have a fuse blown there is a 40 amp fuse off the relay mounted on the reservoir tank.
Down below in my signature are links QT's 1-2-3 with other info you maybe able to use for some of your other problems.
What kind of a PDI did you have?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Zak

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Oil was a bit low with jacks retracted. At bottom of stick screwed in. Topped up with an eighth of a gallon of ATF. Starting engine and shutting off seems to have reset the system over night. I put front jacks down today after topping up reservoir and checking all fuses (all ok). Oddly, pump made same screaming sound until front jacks made contact and a load went on pump, then it sounded normal. When I manually levelled front end, I went to start lowering rears..and system went dead again! I took care to nit run the pump more than 30 seconds at a time in case it's over heating. It's 100 degrees here in Vegas and I wonder if that has something to do with things?

Anyhow, phoned newmar and they tried to help. At least I know how to over ride and retract if the pump dies. Any ideas about the screaming pump noise? Definitely started when we arrived in the desert heat.

With respect to the pdi question, I had an excellent and thorough experience over two days at our dealer in Ontario. We even slept in the coach on site. We tested everything and have been using it weekly for two months. I've been having pieces of trim pop off...captains chair foot rest motor died...led lights in awning died....engine bay door push rod and stopper ripped out while traveling...and mysterious EGR malfunction fault codes...all int the past two weeks of travel. Here I felt the pdi went too well to be true. Maybe I'm paying for it now lol. One last thing...I noted a few large are
As where the "masterpiece" finish is dull and off looking. Defective finish for sure. Anyone have that and did newmar repaint? You ca tell right away compared to the rest of the paint which is clear and brilliant.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure I would call my leveling jacks as "screaming", but they do make a high pitched whine as they extend.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thunder Bay is at the top of lake , been there, but if you are down in states may want to have Newmar take a look at the paint job they maybe interested in it if someone didn't do some heavy detailing before purchase.
The heat may have something to do with HWH problem but pumps do fail on new coach's as someone else found out recently on his new coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote