Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Ventana Motorcycle Lift Install

Hi,
I have a 2014 Ventana 4377 and would like to add a lift to carry a motorcycle and/or ATV. The rear fiberglass endcap/valence extends down to and somewhat below the receiver hitch. I am trying to avoid cutting notches in the fiberglass to accommodate the additional outboard receivers that some of the lifts require. Am looking for lift installation pictures showing how installations have dealt with this. Appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks.
JPL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Don't have any pics to show you, but basically I just had my installer cut the notches in the fiberglass. Its not like that 3 point receiver is ever going to be taken off. He did a clean job and it doesn't look that bad. I had a Cruiserlift installed.

If you really want pictures, I can try and take some.

Randy
Old 05-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcobb View Post
Don't have any pics to show you, but basically I just had my installer cut the notches in the fiberglass. Its not like that 3 point receiver is ever going to be taken off. He did a clean job and it doesn't look that bad. I had a Cruiserlift installed.

Randy
That's what they did installing my Hydralift as well. Pic shows the two slots they made.

Besides, even if you did remove the lift in the future, it's a minor fiberglas repair to undo the slits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	93477  
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcobb View Post

Randy
Thanks. How do you like your Cruiserlift?

Jim
JPL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL2 View Post
Thanks. How do you like your Cruiserlift?

Jim
I like it, although I've only had it on for 3 months, and used it once for the DR650. I have plans to go on a short trip with my heavier FJR later this month, and go get the coach weighed when I do.

As far as the lift, there are pros and cons compared to other electric lifts...and then of course pros and cons in the discussion of electric vs. hydraulic. I have a buddy who has an older electric unit, which is the unit Blue Ox is now selling. From listening to him, that unit may be a bit easier to disassemble and remove by 1 person easier than the Cruiserlift. I can't remove the bike tray by myself as it is too heavy....even though they advertise that 1 person can remove the lift. Given, my bike tray has the optional bike chock on it, but even without that on...I doubt I would be able to remove it by myself. Once thats off, then I can take the rest of the unit apart and remove it. I don't plan on doing that often, but would need to do that in order to open the engine compartment. Due to the design, the door opens out and away from the coach, and the lift won't allow that to happen when it is on which is kind of a bummer. Not sure if the Blue Ox unit would or not....I don't think so. Some other brand of coaches may not have this issue if the design of the engine access door is different and slides up vs. out and away.

Anyway, so far so good with the Cruiserlift but I need a good 1-2 years of use to really answer that question. I bought it used and had to purchase the 3 point receiver and a few other things from the Mfg but overall.....I like it.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #6

Hi Jim,

you might check out this discussion: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/carr...-216233-2.html

Several posts on different lift systems. We have a cruiser lift on a smaller MH. Pictures of ours are at post #17 in that thread.

We have also taken off the bike rail and attached some OSB onto the framework to carry an ATV. It worked great. We have to take the lift off to park in our garage. My husband has done it alone, but mostly we do it together. Store the lift on a rolling rack designed to hold a jet ski. We put more scrap OSB on as a platform, I have pictures of the ATV on the back if interested. I can't remember how to add it to the post.

Only caution is to be careful of steep driveways and driveway dips as the lift is much lower in the back than the receiver. (we don't seem to have the cap problem on our 2007 Ventana). We've carried a fairly heavy Kawasaki over 20k miles with no problems with the lift or MH handling.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, vent