Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #15

I think you did a great job considering you were dealing with a dash that was never supposed to have a glass dash. I can’t wait to sit behind ours when we pick up our KGDB on Nov 17.
Avspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #16

Thanks Scott. That explains why a quote directly from SilverLeaf, having them do the install, is something close to $10K. They would need to build up the same type of panel, so very custom.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Am I correct to assume the Glass Dash simply plugs into the existing wiring harness without any modifications?
pshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshoe View Post
Am I correct to assume the Glass Dash simply plugs into the existing wiring harness without any modifications?
Not that straight forward Phil. There is a harness that connects to the J1939 diagnostics port which provides the majority of the data but there are several functions that you need to find. It really helps to have an understanding of the J1939 and RV-C communications protocols to do this installation. It gets a bit challenging when you get the system fired up and you have warning lights and things that don't work as advertised, that's when the real fun starts.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #19

Sounds like not letting a television doctor operate on a real patient. I saw the back of my dash during build and again during my HWH Active Air install. This isn't something for the faint of heart. Also on my 2017 DS Spartan, Spartan is moving to a high speed J1939 bus. So my setup had two J1939 ports. HWH needs transmission data and the Alison 3000 wasn't yet supporting High Speed. Led to some time and head scratching by the engineers at HWH. All well in the end.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is this an option on a new build, or strictly aftermarket?
Looks like what I have been hoping for.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only available aftermarket on a Dutch Star.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Correction...The following is direct from Silverleaf website:

Newmar, Foretravel, Country Coach, Monaco and American all offer the VMS 645 CL on their coaches. The product is also available as an aftermarket addition for almost any recent model diesel pusher. Each version is unique, programmed to the specifications of the coach builder.

VMS645 CL is the Glass Dash
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #23

What are you using for a tablet holder?
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Swag --

Great to see you back on the Forum and back to using your beautiful coach again, Scott.

As always, super upgrades from your end and lots of fun listening to you talking about them.

Best regards --

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
Correction...The following is direct from Silverleaf website:

Newmar, Foretravel, Country Coach, Monaco and American all offer the VMS 645 CL on their coaches. The product is also available as an aftermarket addition for almost any recent model diesel pusher. Each version is unique, programmed to the specifications of the coach builder.

VMS645 CL is the Glass Dash
I think that information on the SilverLeaf website is a bit misleading. Newmar never installed any glass dash system in any coach until the 2017 model year King Aire and that wasn't a VMS 645 CL. That system utilized a monitor provided by Spartan and SilverLeaf provided the software. In 2018 Newmar introduced the glass dash on the Essex, it's my understanding that on the Spartan chassis they used the same monitor that is used on the King Aire and the Freightliner chassis used the OptiView dash which was provided by Freightliner and has nothing to do with SilverLeaf. The 2018 New Aire was also equipped with the Freightliner OptiView dash.

The VMS 645 CL is a discontinued model, as a matter of fact I purchased the last of their inventory in June of 2016 and installed it in my Dutch Star, the next generation model is the VMS 755 which has been installed in two Dutch Stars, one 2015 on a Freightliner chassis and on a 2018 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis. SilverLeaf could no longer get the monitor to support the VMS 645 which is why the 755 was developed. It is the same size monitor as the 645 but it has a higher resolution and SilverLeaf has changed the look of the display and many of the setup parameters.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Swag --

Great to see you back on the Forum and back to using your beautiful coach again, Scott.

As always, super upgrades from your end and lots of fun listening to you talking about them.

Best regards --

Deek
Hey Deek, hope all is well and you are busy traveling around the country enjoying that Dutch Star!
Old 05-19-2023, 09:26 AM   #27

Hello Scott,
I know it´s 6 years ago that you made this upgrade and posted it here.
I have a 2014 Dutch Star and a dead instrument cluster. Do you still have your "old" analog instruments, did they work when you replaced them with Silverleaf [Mod Edit]? I am still waiting for a confirmation from Freightliner that the instrument cluster is the faulty item and nothing else.
Thank you Wolfgang
Wolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:59 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfi View Post
Hello Scott,
I know it´s 6 years ago that you made this upgrade and posted it here.
I have a 2014 Dutch Star and a dead instrument cluster. Do you still have your "old" analog instruments, did they work when you replaced them with Silverleaf [Mod Edit]? I am still waiting for a confirmation from Freightliner that the instrument cluster is the faulty item and nothing else.
Thank you Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang. I have the three Freightliner gauges, I'm assuming that is all you need? I sold the coach in late 2020 and I gave the original instrument cluster to the new owner. I upgraded another 2015 Dutch Star and those are the 3 gauges I have on hand.

Once you hear back from Freightliner let me know if you need these and we can figure out a cost.

Scott

Tags
dash, dutch star, upgrade