RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

2015 London Aire Radiator Brace Failure

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437572829.493103.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	100814Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437572860.054239.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	100815Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437572876.881497.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	100816
I've attached some pictures of a problem we had this week while traveling across the country.

It started as a stop engine light just 10 miles into the day. What we found was the metal brace holding the radiator fan failed and that caused the fan to tear into pieces, penetrating the radiator and severing the turbo harness to the turbo actuator.

Everyone from Newmar, Cummins and Freightliner have been very good in getting the repairs lined up, but clearly putting a little dent in my time schedule for our trip.

No complaints, no advice required, just information for those on the site.

tedandmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedandmaggie View Post
Attachment 100814Attachment 100815Attachment 100816
I've attached some pictures of a problem we had this week while traveling across the country.

It started as a stop engine light just 10 miles into the day. What we found was the metal brace holding the radiator fan failed and that caused the fan to tear into pieces, penetrating the radiator and severing the turbo harness to the turbo actuator.

Everyone from Newmar, Cummins and Freightliner have been very good in getting the repairs lined up, but clearly putting a little dent in my time schedule for our trip.

No complaints, no advice required, just information for those on the site.
Just went through the same thing on July 1st. Freightliner and Newmar were just awesome in how they delt with it. They pulled parts from the assembly line and overnighted them to us. They paid for our hotel for a week as well as food and tow bill (3k). The new updated fan cage is of much thicker steel.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

I feel your pain! I think you're aware of our issue as you commented on my post earlier, we also were about ten minutes into our drive when it happened and will hopefully have all our parts and be up and running by tomorrow. Good luck and safe travels to you!
Biverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

Did they replace your fan motor?
Biverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biverson View Post
Did they replace your fan motor?
Not sure who this question was for. We did not replace the fan gear box as it was fine. The fan cage on the slr chassis was made out of too thin of steel. The torque put on it from the resistance of the fan is causing it to break. The new updated version is made out of much thicker steel. Clearly FL saw the flaw and have a new version in place.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

I have seen the damage done on the coach via pictures. I had just got my 2015 London Aire back from a Fl service in Big Cabin Ok. Getting a new dash air Compressure I called FL and told them them what I had seen on this forum. They asked me my coach number and said that mine needed to be changed out with the bigger bracket. It is made out of 16 gage tubing and needed to be made out of 11 gage. They were on top of the situation ,I'm scheduled for the change out next Wednesday, Mark from FL called me back yesterday and made sure that I was taken care of and was sending them the new bracket. It is better to get this done then stuck on the road. Just hoping that mine don't crater on the way to Big Cabin FL it's only twenty miles so will be carful as mine has 6000 miles on it as the other one had when it broke. I'm happy about both the FL guys ,Mark, and FL in Big Cabin OK for taken care of this situation. Thanks to all for informing of this condition.
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
I have seen the damage done on the coach via pictures. I had just got my 2015 London Aire back from a Fl service in Big Cabin Ok. Getting a new dash air Compressure I called FL and told them them what I had seen on this forum. They asked me my coach number and said that mine needed to be changed out with the bigger bracket. It is made out of 16 gage tubing and needed to be made out of 11 gage. They were on top of the situation ,I'm scheduled for the change out next Wednesday, Mark from FL called me back yesterday and made sure that I was taken care of and was sending them the new bracket. It is better to get this done then stuck on the road. Just hoping that mine don't crater on the way to Big Cabin FL it's only twenty miles so will be carful as mine has 6000 miles on it as the other one had when it broke. I'm happy about both the FL guys ,Mark, and FL in Big Cabin OK for taken care of this situation. Thanks to all for informing of this condition.
Steve Mosher
Now that this issue is becoming known hopefully others will get it taken care of as you did. Much better to make an appointment rather than get towed in.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

Freightliner tells me I have the updated fan cage assembly. My VIN is GT1611 and was made late last year.

They also told me that I need to get the power steering pump, hose and orifice changed out. This hasn't become, and may not become, a recall or campaign but FCCC will advise owners if their chassis needs the update if they call in.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

I just called FL and they told me that my coach already has the updated fan cage. My VIN is GY2960 and the chassis was built early in 2015.
Hertzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Now that this issue is becoming known hopefully others will get it taken care of as you did. Much better to make an appointment rather than get towed in.
Zman we are debating on getting the mountain or the London but wondering the big difference in the 2016. Do you have two or three stage braking? We will be full-timing it and we might be pulling a stacker trailer so do you thing 500ph is enough going up steep hills without slowing to much or should I get the London with 600ph???
Thanks
Skyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #11

If you are traveling in the west a lot like Lake Tahoe get the 600HP. We have a Essex with the 500 ISM and find sometimes we are down to 40mph at 52K load on 6 plus % grades.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskipper View Post
Zman we are debating on getting the mountain or the London but wondering the big difference in the 2016. Do you have two or three stage braking? We will be full-timing it and we might be pulling a stacker trailer so do you thing 500ph is enough going up steep hills without slowing to much or should I get the London with 600ph???
Thanks
When I was in this decision process someone asked me if I have ever heard someone complain because they just had too much power..LOL We all know the answer to that one. If its in your budget get the 600 and you will never look back. I do have a 3 stage exhaust brake and plenty of power. My stacker weighs in around 22k loaded
Old 07-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you plan on pulling a double stacker, and the budget is not a problem, get the London Aire with the 600hp / 1950 ft lbs of torque. (Note, a 600 hp option is listed for the Mountain Aire, but the torque is still at 1650).

For 2016 the chassis has received significant upgrades in strength (they are referring to it as their "STAR" chassis). Again, for heavy loads I'd hold out for a 2016 if going Newmar.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
If you plan on pulling a double stacker, and the budget is not a problem, get the London Aire with the 600hp / 1950 ft lbs of torque. (Note, a 600 hp option is listed for the Mountain Aire, but the torque is still at 1650).

For 2016 the chassis has received significant upgrades in strength (they are referring to it as their "STAR" chassis). Again, for heavy loads I'd hold out for a 2016 if going Newmar.
Which is a better Chassis the 2016 FL STAR or the Spartan? Do you have a water line that can reach the generator to wash it like the Essex

Skyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radiator