Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
2015 Mountain Aire 4503 Order -- We did it!!

We finished a few last minute details on Saturday afternoon -- how many things you have to keep track of when doing this! -- and finalized a deal on a 2015 Mountain Aire 4503 today! Scary and exciting both at the same time. Anybody have this same experience when it came to pulling the trigger on your Dream Motor home???

The changes they made for '15, especially in this model, really knocked us off our feet. We went out to Newmar about a month ago, talked extensively with Michelle Howard, looked at the coach in production and were both wow'd by all we saw. Newmar has made some fantastic changes to this model for 2015 and the value this year in MA is big -- maybe one of the best values across the lines.

For us, larger tires and wheels (I guess maybe I like this more than DW does), more room, three airs, bigger motor, huge bathroom with two person vanities and sinks, more storage in mid coach (pantry) and bath (linen closet), induction cooktop, solid surface shower, full Girard awnings, heated floor, 12.5 gen set, Silverleaf are all things that will be fun upgrades for us.

Why the 4503 instead of the 4553 which we were first interested in? Because we absolutely love the L sofa in our Dutch Star 4018 and the 4503 has the L sofa but in a much larger size than in our Dutch -- it is 100" and has a top end sofa sleeper in queen size -- something we have been wanting all along. Plus the 4503 has a larger vanity area in the bath (two sinks, one large mirror, two separate vanity cabinets) and a linen closet which the 4553 does not have in the same way. In the 4503 layout, the drawback seems to be that the washer and dryer are moved from the rear of the coach (which we prefer) to near the mid-coach half bath (something we're pretty sure we can live with just fine, especially when it allows us a 100" L sofa sleeper with recliner function).

If we love the 4503 as much as we love our 4018, we'll definitely be in business.

Options / Specials on our order: Induction cooktop, heated floor, all electric (of course), AGM batteries, 12.5 generator on sliding tray, Coastal (natural) Cherry cabinets (as opposed to Carmel glazed Cherry cabinets), Full Girard power awning package (the big boy -- all windows, door and two full Girard awnings on the door side), GE Advantium 120 microwave/convection oven, custom larger-than-stock cabinets on door side, chrome pulls on exterior storage compartments, London Aire tile pattern which we liked for backsplash in kitchen, baths and shower, Trip Info displayed on back up screen, King Aire drawer, cabinet and door pulls, King Aire counter-top throughout, all solid surface sinks, solid wood doors in rear of coach for cedar closet in lieu of mirrors like King Aire, some King Aire fabrics, a number of additional USB and 110v outlets throughout the coach. We also asked not to have the oval cutouts made in the beautiful wood trim posts throughout the coach -- in the stock MA, these have LED "mood lights" in them -- Newmar agreed to keep the wood intact without the mood lighting in the oval cutouts (but we still got the cool squiggles on the facia above near the ceiling with the LED mood lights in them).

Notable things we omitted: Front and exterior TV's (we have never used the outside TV, even when we had one, and we like the extra space in the front of the coach where the front TV would go), VORAD (I asked about it on this Forum and there was not an answer I got from anyone who had it which recommended it as an option not to be without), extra freezer/refrigerator below in storage compartment (we like our down below storage and would probably not use the freezer/rerig), power and extra sliding trays (we got the large one that opens on both sides -- we feel that this is enough and that we would lose too much space in our down below storage area with more sliding trays).

You can always forget something, and probably we did, but we think we got most of what was on our order wish list.

That's the good news. Now the bad:

It's gonna be a tough day for both of us when we give up our 4018 -- really tough.

What a fabulous, flawless, wonderful coach our '13 Dutch Star has been.

How nice it would be for someone to buy our DS before it has to go to the dealer at the end of October -- we would so love to see it go to the right home. Thankfully, we get to have it through Hoots II before it has to be given up for our Mountain Aire delivery. We will use it all we can before it goes.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, the parade has begun! Congratulations to you both! I know you'll enjoy the whole experience immensely!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Congrats Deek on your soon to be MA. Sounds great and I'll bet it'll be better in the "flesh". Enjoy your new coach and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats, Deek!! It sounds like an Awesome coach! You will have to post pictures when you get it!!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #5

PM me info on 4018 might be interested. Just went to denver rv show today. Pics info etc thanks
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have been the leader of the Hoot's group and now leading into a new adventure for us all.
Congratulations many great times with this coach and many safe miles ahead for you both.

Cspringsrv take alook at this thread on Deek's DS 4018 found in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Deek - You da man

Sounds like you were able to make some great "specials changes" with Michelle. I am so glad that Newmar will work with buyers to do that. It's one of the selling feature's I always mention to folks when they are looking at different manufactures. Wish you could bring it to Hoots II ... but will just have to wait till you get down to River Bend later this year.

Someone out there is going to wind up with a great 4018 as well.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats Deek and Jo Jo, and welcome to the Mountain Aire side of the family. Are you going to do the factory pick-up again? When is the expected build date?
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, Charlie. Very exciting. Glad to be with you on this side of things -- just as long, that is, that our wonderful Hoots won't ever think of disowning us. If they decided to do that, I'd rather give up the MA!

Delivery is a bit of a longer story. Not that I can't find a way to come up with a thousand or two words to explain (remember that lawyers are paid by the word so this stuff comes natural to me).

Short version is that factory delivery could not take place until late November or early December more likely and that would have been a deal breaker for us as we wanted to avoid all risk of salt on the undercarriage -- with the winter we had last year, snow is just too probable a possibility at that time in northern Indiana.

So dealer was able to get a production that will have bus to us by Halloween or a day or two thereafter, but we have to pick it up at dealer's facility. So no factory delivery with this one. They are doing some work for us in recalibrating the black tank to avoid shut off of toilets at 70% which happens with the Silverleaf and stock Dometic toilets and dealer is going to install a switch in the line to allow for "emergency" flushes when red light comes on if we need it so we want them to have the coach to do that. The dealer is in Frederick, CO but has a new facility in Belton, MO so the coach will be driven to Belton by Newmar transport and we will drive our Dutch Star there to make the exchange. We want to move all stuff from DS to MA in one operation -- that will allow this. They also have to move Air Force One from DS to MA so that we can tow our CR-V. Then on to Florida for the winter. Wanted to get there by late October so we will only be a week or so off our schedule.

Can't wait to see the Mountain Aire going down the production line in Building 7!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #10

Congratulations. Wish you were going to have at Hoots Rally so we could see it.
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Congrats Deek!!!

When I talked to Ken at the Denver RV show, I mentioned that I thought you were close on an order, and he just smiled

There's no question in my mind that the new MA is the value/features leader in the Newmar line and it pretty much stands alone from other mfg models.

Can't wait to hear your first trip report after driving that 500hp down the road!!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #12

WOW... congrats Deek & JoJo! The MA sounds wonderful and with the add ons you've requested should be just about perfect.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats Deek and best of luck

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

Way-To-Go, Deek and Jo!

I know with a brand new coach of my own I shouldn't be envious, but I am. It's amazing how each new model year can create so much excitement and desire.

As you observed, this year is the year of the Mountain Aire, not only for redesign and feature improvements, but the overall best value between the model choice lineup. In comparison (IMHO), in the 2014 model year, I felt there was significant value between the Ventana and the Dutch Star to justify the extra cost, however, I did not feel the same value existed between the Dutch Star and the Mountain Aire. For the 2015 lineup, bumping up to Newmar's "Luxury Line" incorporates significant design features , upgraded finishes and amenity enhancements that add true value to the increased cost between the Dutch Star and the Mountain Aire. Plus, for me personally, I am really attracted to the new "Sycamore" paint scheme...at least in the photos.

I could write endlessly about your option choices, but needless to say - I am not an attorney; so I will wait to discuss them in person (until you are dizzy) at the Hoots Roost...10 days should give us sufficient time, right?

Until then -- Congratulations! And remember, this will be on-going fun and excitement all the way to Halloween!

Jigs
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote