Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #15

Thanks for the welcome. We looked long and hard at the Canyon Star 3650 because we really wanted the big fridge and washer / dryer plus cargo capacity but we couldn't find one anywhere and it would have to be ordered (I would have like to have seen one at least ).

We found the 2015 Bay Star 3124 which at this time fit our needs almost perfectly - size, price, etc. Since we are coming from an older 38 foot diesel, driving it was super easy. We wanted the king bed and the FWS really opens it up for the dogs. There were a few in stock around the country but we had specific options and colors we wanted. The one we found in LA has all the options and colors we chose except 2 and they could be added later. So we will fly out and drive it back across country to the east coast. Then after the holidays we will pack it up properly and take it out for a proper shake down cruise.

We always figured we would fly to get our coach as our local dealers have limited choices and we were looking at specific brands the whole 3 years.

Thanks for the links - we will spend the weekend reading!
chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #16

Well congratulations, are you buying it from Tom Lindstrom? If so which color did you get... I am also talking to Tom, he is a very nice guy and very helpful.. were still asking a couple of questions but we think the 3124 is the one for us.. Where do you live chowder and how long is your trip back?
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #17

Yes, we are getting the black one from Tom. He has been very helpful. We'll be driving it back to NC. We've previously done 2 coast to coast trips in our diesel so we are somewhat prepared to drive it home. It will be minimally packed though, since we don't want to buy all new stuff for it out there when we have all our motor home accessories already stored at home. It'll be a bare bones trip back. The real fun will come when we pack it up for the first actual loaded trip (complete with dogs).
Old 11-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #18

How exciting Chowder, that is a great looking unit, he really orders them pretty packed... we have decided we want a lighter color, we live back on a gravel road and all the dark cars and vehicles get pretty dusty.. hopefully the gold won't be as bad.

I've been talking with Tom for about a week, met him through another person on the net (Mike and Char) who has chimed in on this thread. Mike is a happy buyer from Tom but he went to the Canyon Star.

I am really interessted in hearing how your trip home goes... and how the rig feels driving down the road for a day ... I know Tom will take good care of you on the delivery and PDI....

Were in the Nashville area ... perhaps we will be around when you pass thorough.. where in NC are you from? I take it you will be traveling across 40.
Dave
Old 11-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #19

Congrats Chowder, we're the ones Dave was talking about in the last post. It is a great experience buying from Tom. After dealing with several dealers we just didn't trust, meeting Tom was a breath of fresh air. He was patient, knowledgeable, ethical, and honest. We didn't find that in any other dealer we dealt with, and that's how we ended up with our Canyon Star 3610. We love it so far and everything Tom told us has been true. I've seen Tom a few times after we bought it, we've stopped in just to see him and he has been just as pleasant as he was the first time we met him.

I hope you have a great trip home. When you meet Tom in person(if you haven't already) you will be really glad you bought from him. Their will be no suprises, except how well he takes care of you. The good thing about buying from Tom is Mike and Scotty do a real thorough PDI and make sure there is nothing needing repairs, and make sure everything is adjusted correctly after the delivery from the factory. Tom takes pride in his inventory and keeps them locked up so the looky lews aren't thrashing them. Tom and Coach will spend as long as you need with you to make sure you know how to work everything and that everything is operating correctly.

You will love the drive on the bigger chassis/22.5 tires ect. I'm pretty sure I saw yours last time I was there, it's beautiful, and you can't go wrong with Newmar. Good luck and keep us posted....Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #20

Thanks for the reassurance, Mike. It's always difficult buying a coach long distance (we bought our last one in Florida) and the last 3 years spent looking have been a hassle. Sometimes just getting a dealer to send you more pictures of a coach is like pulling teeth and getting them to answer emails is a nightmare. Tom already posted so many photos that we can sit here and view the coach top to bottom every night and feel like we know it pretty well. Plus he actually answers emails right away! We research all dealers online before we contact them and have read nothing but positive things about the dealership.

I still am somewhat torn about the Canyon Star you got (which I absolutely loved), but that will have to be our full timer coach. Right now the Bay Star works perfectly for our needs. We're looking forward to meeting Tom. This will be our first 'new' coach, first gas, and first Newmar so this will all be different for us.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #21

You can't go wrong with Tom Lindstrom. He sold us our 2015 2903. He will joke with you and at the same time take care of business. Congrats on your purchase.
zrobotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I suggest checking Fords chassis information about the different GVW chassis and if you like boon docking the 19.5" wheels have a smaller turning radius.

I ordered my 2012 Baystar 2901 because I prefer national and state parks and forests to the usual gravel ghettos that are commercial RV parks. The 19.5" wheels have a 50 degree wheel cut versus a 42 degree cut for the 22.5" wheels. When towing my Tacoma 4x4 P/U I can get into many more places that have twisty lanes and 25'-30' length limits. I also can drive up one row in Wal-Mart and down the next when looking for overnight parking when just passing through. The maneuverability is great and other RVers just stare at the U-turn I just made in a small space. The equipment I installed below is for boon docking and driving comfort and I do not know I am being passed by an 80 MPH semi on I-15 N/B in Utah until I see the semi with my peripheral vision, and when they pull in front the turbulence is minor. When the Santa Anna winds blow my RV just leans a little.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #23

joes2901, thanks for that input from the look of your signature it sure seems like boondocking with all that battery and solar power should not be a problem. Thanks also for the turning radius of the 19.5 vs 22.5" wheels, that is interesting. Beginning in 2015 Newmar has put the whole BayStar line on the larger wheeled chassis... so one would buy a 2014 if they want a 19.5" wheel coach (and from the looks of it there are some pretty sweet deals on that.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #24

Be sure you check the NCC on the unit you are looking at and compare it to the same one with the 19.5 tires. On the floor plan we are getting, the 2015 with 22.5 wheels gains almost 1000 pounds NCC which for us is significant. Once we start adding on some solar panels, a few dogs (dog food), the water, 'stuff', it all begins to add up.

Even before we go full time, as a part-timer we found out that the things you carry with you adds up and the NCC becomes really important. We wanted to max that out.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #25

Davidki- My brother bought a 2014 2903 20000 lb chassis and I bought a 2015 2903 22000 lb chassis. He complained from the start on the bumpy ride. I worried till I drove my ordered 2015 2903 22000 lb RV home from Tom Lindstrom RV. First time out and it was fabulous, even thru the rough roads along the 210 Freeway. The ride was smooth. The extra heavy chassis even on the 31 should give you plenty of room for cargo. Oh by the way as we were waiting for ours to be built, I saw a Merimac 31 foot. WOW it was beautiful.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #26

Zrobotman... thanks for that Input I think we have traded messages before... I agree that going to 22.5" wheels and larger chassis is the right way to go.. no argument from me... thanks for your experience.. but What is a Merimac 31' ?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #27

Davidki The Merimac is one of the two colors for the 29' Bay Star Newmar coach. 31 means the 31' length coach. As I said , I saw this coach and it was very rich looking. I would have purchased it but it would not park in my yard because of it's length.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #28

LOL, the Merimac caught me off guard... Darn... we were looking at the Harvest Gold outside color :-) The 3124 from what the specs say is 31.11 in overall length but not sure if that includes the latter option on the back or not... will have to check it out.

Tags
chassis, newmar