Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #477

Newmar Owners Club
Air Force One coach side install during FPU

We pick up our new Dutch Star from the factory on the 22nd of June. I found out today that Newmar won't install the coach portion of the Air Force One braking system. Can anyone recommend someone close to the Newmar factory that can do the install?

Thanks - Phil
pshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #478

Call the factory in Newburgh In 800-893-3763 They should be able to recommend someone.
pj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #479

Newmar Owners Club
Day 4 - Factory Delivery DSDP 4369

Today rocked! So many successes, so little time left.
Check Engine issue - resolved! FTL showed up and spent 15 minutes hooking up and capturing one code, made a couple phone calls and passed the buck to Cummins. An exhaust temperature sensor failed, and the repair correctly belonged to Cummins, who met us at Camp Newmar and were done in 15 minutes. Our test drive confirmed success. Evidently this is not an uncommon problem. I think others on this forum have experienced and written about it.

During an early morning test drive, we realized the steering wheel was off-center about 5 degrees to the left, when driving straight. Dave (our awesome tech) and Jonas (team lead extraordinaire) reviewed and realigned the wheel in about 30 minutes.

Newmar Service installed our Winegard satellite dish last week. Today we activated DISH service - and it promptly failed. Long story short and many calls later (mostly with DISH), the issue was quickly resolved by the Winegard phone tech. Simply following the Winegard activation / diagnostic procedures included with the dish, and it worked perfectly. The key - be sure to run the diagnostics and update the "switch". Don't depend on advise from DISH.

Realizing we would never use a "keyboard drawer", we asked Newmar to replace it with a standard box drawer. It took some time, but it was completed perfectly, by Darrel, a professional cabinet maker. One word - flawless.

Two additional minor successes include boring a second cable access port (hole) through the buffet countertop (for monitor cables), and adding a fourth "courtesy" light in the bedroom (to illuminate the step-up to the bathroom - an oversight?). Tomorrow's challenge - convince Newmar to reprogram a light switch above the bed to control these courtesy lights. We also located the 3 GFCI control outlets, one inside the 1/2 bath vanity, one in the pegboard cabinet, and one under the upper kitchen cabinet (thanks srrobe!).

As an enthusiast, Factory Delivery with access to these experts, is proving to be priceless. I cannot imagine being so involved with a personal project at a major manufacturer anywhere else. And by involved, I mean we haven't left the coach or the techs for a minute, all week. This place and experience is really an anomaly. Don't miss it, if this stuff is your thing.
zalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #480

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaska View Post
Tomorrow's challenge - convince Newmar to reprogram a light switch above the bed to control these courtesy lights.
Jeff, let me know how you make out with this request. I had asked Newmar to quote me to reprogram that switch (didn't like their selection of what to control from that location) and was quoted a price of over $2,400. It's not going to happen for that price!

Glad to hear your week at the factory has been a good experience.

Scott
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #481
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaska View Post
Today rocked! So many successes, so little time left.

Check Engine issue - resolved! FTL showed up and spent 15 minutes hooking up and capturing one code, made a couple phone calls and passed the buck to Cummins. An exhaust temperature sensor failed, and the repair correctly belonged to Cummins, who met us at Camp Newmar and were done in 15 minutes. Our test drive confirmed success. Evidently this is not an uncommon problem. I think others on this forum have experienced and written about it.

During an early morning test drive, we realized the steering wheel was off-center about 5 degrees to the left, when driving straight. Dave (our awesome tech) and Jonas (team lead extraordinaire) reviewed and realigned the wheel in about 30 minutes.

Newmar Service installed our Winegard satellite dish last week. Today we activated DISH service - and it promptly failed. Long story short and many calls later (mostly with DISH), the issue was quickly resolved by the Winegard phone tech. Simply following the Winegard activation / diagnostic procedures included with the dish, and it worked perfectly. The key - be sure to run the diagnostics and update the "switch". Don't depend on advise from DISH.

Realizing we would never use a "keyboard drawer", we asked Newmar to replace it with a standard box drawer. It took some time, but it was completed perfectly, by Darrel, a professional cabinet maker. One word - flawless.

Two additional minor successes include boring a second cable access port (hole) through the buffet countertop (for monitor cables), and adding a fourth "courtesy" light in the bedroom (to illuminate the step-up to the bathroom - an oversight?). Tomorrow's challenge - convince Newmar to reprogram a light switch above the bed to control these courtesy lights. We also located the 3 GFCI control outlets, one inside the 1/2 bath vanity, one in the pegboard cabinet, and one under the upper kitchen cabinet (thanks srrobe!).

As an enthusiast, Factory Delivery with access to these experts, is proving to be priceless. I cannot imagine being so involved with a personal project at a major manufacturer anywhere else. And by involved, I mean we haven't left the coach or the techs for a minute, all week. This place and experience is really an anomaly. Don't miss it, if this stuff is your thing.

We had the same exact crooked steering wheel to the left issue on our 2015 Ventana 4037. I've read here of three others with recent delivered coaches with the same thing. Newmar or Freightliner has an issue here. I had to bring mine to a local Freightliner service center to have it adjusted.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #482

Zalaska,

Thanks for the update. Very happy to read that the check engine light was resolved.

Really happy to read that you were able to get things done on the fly. I've been pondering adding a 12v to the dash for a TPMS and maybe another for external GPS should I not like the onboard GPS. I just wouldn't know where to put one until I sit in the drivers seat. An extra 12v and 110v in the bay's would also be useful.

After reading several posts about steering wheels being off center, I will certainly be looking at that. The tip from someone (2 Hikers or srrobe) about having the tech identify where all the GFI's are located is terrific.

Travel safely!

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (in production), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #483

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff, thanks for the details, I'm taking notes!!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #484

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Please post "fuel log spreadsheet"

Larry and Cherry
2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
2013 Lincoln MKX

I tried to attach the spreadsheet as an Excel document, but couldn't reduce the size, so it wouldn't download here. I'll try a pdf document instead. Hope that works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel log.pdf (16.3 KB, 65 views)
2 hikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshoe View Post
We pick up our new Dutch Star from the factory on the 22nd of June. I found out today that Newmar won't install the coach portion of the Air Force One braking system. Can anyone recommend someone close to the Newmar factory that can do the install?

Thanks - Phil

Yes - same issue with Newmar and Freightliner warranty - Dans Hitch or Master Tech RV - both in Elkhart. And - you will learn that you can not have any work performed on your coach by a 3rd party until you have signed-out and completed the PDI. We are scheduling Master Tech RV for our M&G Coach side Air Line tap. We arrive on June 22nd to begin the our PDI.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
We are having Newmar also install one antenna for a cellular booster. Opted not to do the WiFi Ranger antenna but using the GO2 wireless router (Blue Mesh Router) for the MiFi USB connection. Good to hear that the Newmar experiences seem to be consistent.

Look forward to hearing more of your PDI experiences as you go through the week. We'll be there in 3 weeks.
Hello John & Cheryl,

We're taking factory delivery of our LADP 4553 on 6/15. We also tow a 2013 Sahara. We're twins.

Anyway, I have some questions about your 6/1 post about your wifi and cellular booster. Can you expand on the using the GO2 wireless router. We have a Verizon Jetpack? Also, what are you going to use for the cell booster and did you order the antenna for Newmar to install or do they have them available?

Thanks for your help

Rick
Rick830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #487

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Zalaska --

So glad to hear that you are having such a grand experience at Factory Delivery. These guys are outstanding, aren't they? We had an absolute blast at the time of our Factory Delivery with our '13 Dutch Star 4018 -- even though it was in mid-February!

We also had the dreaded off center steering wheel issue and ultimately had it resolved by Freightliner without charge at a regular service appointment in Gaffney. They nailed it perfectly. As a fussy tailor myself, I have actually sold cars when they had crooked alignment in the steering wheel and the dealer could not fix it. This is a pet peeve of mine and one that really bugs me if the steering wheel is not centered completely. The good news is that it is a solvable problem with the right tech involved. I bear that in mind again as we get to take delivery of our new coach on June 15!

Just happy to hear that you are accomplishing so much at your Factory Delivery and having such a good time in Nappanee. Again, I cannot say enough about how good these Newmar Factory Delivery guys are and how dedicated they are to making us happy with our purchases. I say work with them as much as you can to get everything just the way you want. They will stay with you at each and every step of the way.

Good luck and congrats!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #488

Just back from Tom Lindstroms with our new 2015 DS 4018
We had a great time and got to know our mh. Thanks to Scott for a driving lesson.

By the way Tom has a new 2016 DS 4018 just sitting on his lot looking for a new owner. Could it be you who is driving the first 2016 DS 4018?

Just a couple of pictures from Tom's Lot

https://copy.com/YtTikek6QuphstWb

Now home in Carefree, AZ and the DS is in front of our house.

https://copy.com/QYPXP8UKSaYLhfbM
Old 06-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #489

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydekilgore View Post
Just back from Tom Lindstroms with our new 2015 DS 4018
We had a great time and got to know our mh. Thanks to Scott for a driving lesson.

By the way Tom has a new 2016 DS 4018 just sitting on his lot looking for a new owner. Could it be you who is driving the first 2016 DS 4018?

Just a couple of pictures from Tom's Lot

https://copy.com/YtTikek6QuphstWb

Now home in Carefree, AZ and the DS is in front of our house.

https://copy.com/QYPXP8UKSaYLhfbM

Congrats, Clyde! Your DS is beautiful! It's perfect for the hot weather!

So where's your maiden voyage going to be?

-Tom
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #490

Thanks,

Two trips planned. In mid-June we will go North from here to Munds Park, AZ for a couple of days to see friends and play golf, then west on IH40 to Seligman, pick up old 66 to Kingman. Then on to Twentynine Palms to see Joshua Tree (and play some golf). Then on to the coast (Santa Maria) to visit my folks, finally stopping near Palm Springs for a night before heading home. Looks like 12 days.

Second trip starting July 10 will have us visiting Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Yosemite before heading north of Reno to play golf in and around Graeagle, CA for a week. Then to Carson City and Lake Tahoe. Across US 50 east (the loneliest road in America) to see the Great Basin NP, dropping south to visit Zion for a couple of days before heading back home.

Short trips then in August and September. But who knows?

Are you planning any trips? Tom mentioned you had been by a week or so ago.

Tags
newmar