Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChassisGuy View Post
I believe the end customer is actually supposed to have their alignment rechecked once loaded.
If this is the standard, then why wasn't it communicated to me during factory delivery? One would think that spending $3,500 for FPU would have included helpful information about this important point, otherwise how the heck am I supposed to know? I'm willing to accept responsibilities as an owner but I need to know what those responsibilities are. I'd like to know what owner reference material contains this information. If it exists then I would have done my due diligence.

I hope that there isn't a crack in the "Seamless Service" model and that finger pointing is returning.
NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #16

I will try and find documentation.
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Weird how it affected your comfort drive. It should bear no weight on that system.

I've used Ken's program and it doesn't tell you much. It fairly basic actually. You can pretty much check what needs to be checked through the lightbar diagnostics.

Ken also said it shouldn't affect CD. I'm guessing the change in "feel" or torque is a result of the alignment.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #18

Interesting. Maybe it's "normal" now.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
I thought I would pass along my experience and hope it might help someone. We have a 2017 London Aire that we did a FPU on 10/3/16. The comfort drive was wired incorrectly in production which I caught as soon as I drove it and it was corrected at Newmar. We then spent 2 weeks traveling within a 200 mile radius of Newmar so we could return for any adjustments. On my 2 weeks of driving I had to constantly move my steering wheel from left to right while I drove. When I returned to the factory the Freightliner rep that works at Newmar found in his opinion that there was to much slack in my steering gear box. This was passed on to Freightliner and an appointment was made at a service center and my tag axle was found to be out of line and corrected. I told the service manager while at this service center to check the steering gear and they stated it was OK. After a trip to Florida I called Freightliner and told them there was still to much slack in the steering and at the next service center in about 1 hour they stated I had a bad steering gear box. I am waiting now to go to a service center and have the new one installed.
I was told that when an alignment is done by Freightliner and Newmar that only the front end is aligned and if so everyone should have a 4 wheel alignment done after delivery.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #20

Guess it's in who you talk to 😉. I'm pretty sure both Newmar and FCCC perform 3 axle alignments
Old 04-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #21
Rd1

Quote:
You do know that Newmar does the final alignment, don't you? The toe should've been absolutely caught!
Yes Newmar is supposed to reset the toe and ride height after build. I believe those may be done at a third party location, freightliner dealer or some one else, I do not know. And yes they have missed those. However, with the tag axle being mounted of center, I do not know what impact that may have on all wheel alignment. That “may be” a reason for the screw up. However, keep in mind I have had five alignments attempts (freightlliner dealers, except one) and the coach continues wondering, so to put the blame entirely on Newmar would be juvenile.

What is the excuse for mounting the drive axle not true to the chassis? Over the last 6-7 months of dealing with this defective chassis, I have personally come across a dozen owners with various tag axle/alignment problems. One MADP was dragged all the way from west coast to Gaffney driving almost side ways due to the drive axle not being true to the chassis!!!! Is freightliner developing a steer drive axle too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is inexcusable. Do you guys not have any pride in your work at freightliner??

What is the excuse for mounting the tag axle of center?? freightliner has known the issue from the beginning of producing this steer tag axle chassis (late 2014?). WHY IS FREIGHTLINER CONTINUE shipping these defective chassis to coach builders, for almost two years now??? A layman could observe these chassis coming of production visually and recognize the defective tag mounting. WHY ARE FRIEGHTLINER PEOPLE CONTINUE FAILING TO CATCH THESE DEFECTIVE UNITS before they are shipped out? do you guys have no regards for your customers?

Problems and issues can happen in any production setting. However, when a company knowingly and willfully continues producing the problem and worst yet attempts to cover it, then you have to question their integrity.

Frankly, had I known what I have discovered about this freightliner product and their approach, I would have never considered any freighliner product. Your company's approach to this issue is despicable. There will be further discussions in a new thread about this topic in the near future.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #22
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLanding View Post
Thanks Rd1 for sharing your experiences. That sounds awful. Here I am thinking that I was a one off experience. ...
Sad to say, this appears to be the modus operandi. We are all told, "you seem to be the only one experiencing a bit of issues". It is most unfortunate when you end up dealing with an 'entity' that has no integrity.

In these few months, I have had a dozen or so owners with this issue. I have had owners who contacted me directly, some how they got my contact info. In fact one owner called my cell which was a surprise. He also had a 17 LADP with the same exact problems as mine. At first I was very skeptical as my number is not published. It turn out he had just bought his unit this past december!!

While out west, I was at Holland Motorhomes for some coach related work. Came across other individuals with tag axle issues. While walking around the lot, there was a brand new Ventanna 4002 that had just been delivered. The tags were so obviously out of center. Service people were advised and they all concurred the tags were clearly out of center. Hopefully that unit can be corrected before another un-suspecting individual is stuck with a potentially defective chassis. Anyone out there, feel free to check it out.

The tree months I was at a resort out west, there were a dozen or so Newmars that came thru. 4 of us had the frieghtliner passive steer tag chassis. One stayed for the night and I didn't get a chance to talk to. The other two, both had the tag axle issue. One was a very new 17 MADP from mid west. The freightliner dealer had told him there is nothing wrong. All is ok!

NWLanding, I am afraid you are not alone in this, though I'd have wished you and the rest would not have had this experience.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
Yes Newmar is supposed to reset the toe and ride height after build. I believe those may be done at a third party location, freightliner dealer or some one else, I do not know. And yes they have missed those. However, with the tag axle being mounted of center, I do not know what impact that may have on all wheel alignment. That “may be” a reason for the screw up. However, keep in mind I have had five alignments attempts (freightlliner dealers, except one) and the coach continues wondering, so to put the blame entirely on Newmar would be juvenile.

What is the excuse for mounting the drive axle not true to the chassis? Over the last 6-7 months of dealing with this defective chassis, I have personally come across a dozen owners with various tag axle/alignment problems. One MADP was dragged all the way from west coast to Gaffney driving almost side ways due to the drive axle not being true to the chassis!!!! Is freightliner developing a steer drive axle too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is inexcusable. Do you guys not have any pride in your work at freightliner??

What is the excuse for mounting the tag axle of center?? freightliner has known the issue from the beginning of producing this steer tag axle chassis (late 2014?). WHY IS FREIGHTLINER CONTINUE shipping these defective chassis to coach builders, for almost two years now??? A layman could observe these chassis coming of production visually and recognize the defective tag mounting. WHY ARE FRIEGHTLINER PEOPLE CONTINUE FAILING TO CATCH THESE DEFECTIVE UNITS before they are shipped out? do you guys have no regards for your customers?

Problems and issues can happen in any production setting. However, when a company knowingly and willfully continues producing the problem and worst yet attempts to cover it, then you have to question their integrity.

Frankly, had I known what I have discovered about this freightliner product and their approach, I would have never considered any freighliner product. Your company's approach to this issue is despicable. There will be further discussions in a new thread about this topic in the near future.
Newmar sets the toe and ride height at their location by Newmar employees.

Axle alignment and installation have drastically improved in the last 6 months. For the very reasons you're describing is exactly how these, and most issues, have been found. Unfortunately it's the way things work.

Also, please get a picture the next time you see one being dragged sideways down the road. I'd love to see that 😂😂
Old 04-14-2017, 05:16 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Guess I'll talk to Chassis Guy's point, we took delivery of a new DS 4310 on a FL chassis in November last year and it has performed flawlessly so far. Smooth ride & I can let go of steering wheel on highway and it will track straight down the middle of the lane. Love the drive & especially comfort drive on those windy days!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #25

Have these problems been on Spartan chassis too? If not why?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #26

They have a different completely suspensions. There install process is different I'm sure too
Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #27
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
FL chassis in November last year and it has performed flawlessly so far.
Not all units have the tag axle alignment problem. The unfortunate part is, they have known about the problem, but did not seem to care to ship defective units to the coach builder. Glad you did not inherit one of these chassis. It would not be a pleasant experience for anyone to make this type of investment and be stuck with the you bought it, you own it mind set.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
Not all units have the tag axle alignment problem. The unfortunate part is, they have known about the problem, but did not seem to care to ship defective units to the coach builder. Glad you did not inherit one of these chassis. It would not be a pleasant experience for anyone to make this type of investment and be stuck with the you bought it, you own it mind set.
They did not know about it. They found out about it through feedback and that's how corrections have been made....and are still being made/changed.