Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
2016 Dutch Star Coolant level

I just picked up a new 2016 Dutch Star 40 foot, Cummins ISL9 450HP. After camping a week, I started it up and got a low Coolant warning that would not go away. So went back to find a place to check the coolant level. Is there a overflow bottle, or somewhere I am missing to check this level? I do see a like 5 gallon barrel on top center of engine compartment, even with a flashlight I can't see a level in that. I must be missing some obvious visual checkpoint.

I did run up the fast idle and after a few minutes the warning indicator did go away. So perhaps it just needed to get the coolant through the cylinders, and to the top of the engine, but it does remind me that I need to add coolant to my pre-trip inspection. Hopefully there is a place to visually check this that I am simply missing. Anyone have this engine that can advise?
SMertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMertens View Post
I just picked up a new 2016 Dutch Star 40 foot, Cummins ISL9 450HP. After camping a week, I started it up and got a low Coolant warning that would not go away. So went back to find a place to check the coolant level. Is there a overflow bottle, or somewhere I am missing to check this level? I do see a like 5 gallon barrel on top center of engine compartment, even with a flashlight I can't see a level in that. I must be missing some obvious visual checkpoint.

I did run up the fast idle and after a few minutes the warning indicator did go away. So perhaps it just needed to get the coolant through the cylinders, and to the top of the engine, but it does remind me that I need to add coolant to my pre-trip inspection. Hopefully there is a place to visually check this that I am simply missing. Anyone have this engine that can advise?

The "overflow" bottle is the "barrel on top center" in the engine compartment. On the right side of the "barrel" you will see a sight-glass that allows you to observe the coolant level. The correct level should cover the sight glass.
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
The "overflow" bottle is the "barrel on top center" in the engine compartment. On the right side of the "barrel" you will see a sight-glass that allows you to observe the coolant level. The correct level should cover the sight glass.
Thanks, thats kind of what I thought but since I could not see any fluid in that bubble and its bran new from factory I'm surprised it's low. Time to buy some coolant I guess.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #4

we have a 16 4369 DS. my coolant was a bit low and by chance we parked on the concrete by the barn that we keep it in. i noticed a wet spot under it and went looking around. if you lay on your back by the side radiator and start moving to the center of the coach and look up you will see some radiator hoses. thats where mine was leaking. i think the guy with the limp wrists was working that day as all the clamps were loose. take a 5/16" socket on an extension and check them. may find them loose, may not but its worth a try. i cant think i am alone in the problem.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think because there is so much plumbing on these coaches, the system can eventually burp, when new, passing some air and lowering the overflow tank level. After a few months of ownership of mine, I had to add some coolant. It has stayed full since.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Although my Newmar isn't as new as yours, I did just replace the radiator and despite the shop attempting to burp the system, I still had to top off the overflow bottle a couple times to finish the burp. Wasn't a big deal and I haven't had to top it off since and the radiator is working perfect. So I can see the same thing happening when taking possession of a new unit.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:

My 2015 Ventana kept showing a low coolant message. Eventually I started noticing fluid on the ground. It was a loose clamp on the radiator. Check for any leaks.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think because there is so much plumbing on these coaches, the system can eventually burp, when new, passing some air and lowering the overflow tank level. After a few months of ownership of mine, I had to add some coolant. It has stayed full since.
Don, I know it;s been covered someplace previously but what kind (brand) of coolant did you use for adding, and does our coolant require any additional SCA like my Cat engine did?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Don, I know it;s been covered someplace previously but what kind (brand) of coolant did you use for adding, and does our coolant require any additional SCA like my Cat engine did?

P.S. Sorry about the duplicate. My computer kept freezing, waiting, doing nothing, so I never knew if or when my Submit actually took.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
From my investigation, Newmar/Freightliner installed Peak coolant. I'm a big fan of the Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolant that has been out for a few years, but for some reason, Cummins no longer wants to use it, requiring that you have to go back to the old style coolant that requires checking SCA's / DCA's, which is a pain.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
From my investigation, Newmar/Freightliner installed Peak coolant. I'm a big fan of the Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolant that has been out for a few years, but for some reason, Cummins no longer wants to use it, requiring that you have to go back to the old style coolant that requires checking SCA's / DCA's, which is a pain.
The Cummins shop I went to recommended their OAT product, but did state that once you start with it, you have to stay with that product. I could not find any of the Purple Coolant that whoever added at the factory. So I went with the Cummins one step down from their OAT line. They thought it would be compatible with the purple and I did not want to drain the system and refill with something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	134650  
Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
The Cummins shop I went to recommended their OAT product, but did state that once you start with it, you have to stay with that product. I could not find any of the Purple Coolant that whoever added at the factory. So I went with the Cummins one step down from their OAT line. They thought it would be compatible with the purple and I did not want to drain the system and refill with something else.
Wish mine had some kind of tag to indicate what was originally installed in it. Wonder if Gaffney FL would have any ideas what kind might be in there now, assuming it would be safe taking their response considering they gave me two different quart capacities for the differential (5.8 qts first then 2 days later after my 6 quart drain pan filled up twice it was 13 quarts - actually took 12 quarts to fill).

Tags
dutch star