Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

2016 Dutch Star Extended Warranty

My wife and I are picking up our Dutch Star 4018 on February 22 in Indiana and we are very excited. We ordered our 4018 and a week later we started to see all the post about the front axle weights and were very concerned for a couple of weeks. We are very happy that this seems to be resolved. We have been on the fence about buying a extended warranty from Wholesale Warranty.

Some times when a manufacturer makes changes from one model year to another some bugs need to be worked out. I believe the slides are different and we have passive steering in 2016. So my question is for 2016 Dutch Star owners that were affected by the front axle issue and with some of the changes from 2015: has this help you decide to buy a warranty?

Kevin and Joanne
2016 Dutch Star 4018 2/22/2016
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
My wife and I are picking up our Dutch Star 4018 on February 22 in Indiana and we are very excited. We ordered our 4018 and a week later we started to see all the post about the front axle weights and were very concerned for a couple of weeks. We are very happy that this seems to be resolved. We have been on the fence about buying a extended warranty from Wholesale Warranty.

Some times when a manufacturer makes changes from one model year to another some bugs need to be worked out. I believe the slides are different and we have passive steering in 2016. So my question is for 2016 Dutch Star owners that were affected by the front axle issue and with some of the changes from 2015: has this help you decide to buy a warranty?

Kevin and Joanne
In my opinion, extended service contracts(warranties) should not be considered until the warranty that comes with a new rv is about to expire. Why spend $$$ for this until needed when any problems will be covered by the manufactures warranty.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

Many of us will have different reasons to have or not have extended warranties. i totally agree not to buy one until after Newmar warranty expires. You will have warranty for 1-5 years, which you can read in your documentation. Gives you time to think about spending extra money on something you won’t use in the near future anyway.
Many happy miles ahead in your new Newmar.
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
<>. My wife and I are picking up our Dutch Star 4018 on February 22 in Indiana and we are very excited... <>

Kevin and Joanne
Bummer...we were hoping someone else would be taking delivery Feb. 1st... You know the saying..." Misery loves company"

It's gonna be freakin' cold up there... At least for Floridians

But, we too are very excited!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 05:12 AM   #5

Definitely wait, and then DON'T buy from a dealer. Shop for one on your own. You'll save the dealers markup.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

I am curious as to when you placed the order for the new coach. I placed mine the first week of Oct 2015. Still no word when it may be available. Starting to get frustrated!
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
I am curious as to when you placed the order for the new coach. I placed mine the first week of Oct 2015. Still no word when it may be available. Starting to get frustrated!
timewaster,
Give Brian Fuchs (pronounced Fox) a call at Newmar 1-(800)-731-8300. Brian can help you track down your order status or direct you to who you should talk with. What did you order?

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Mike
Thank you for the info ! We ordered a Dutch Star 4018.
BTW.....my brother has a 2015 DS 4002 and just installed 315/80R22.5 tires on the steer axle.
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

An extended warranty on a brand new coach really buys you nothing, especially with a quality company like Newmar. Virtually everything in your coach is covered by Newmar, the chassis manufacturer and engine/generator (I'm assuming Freightliner, Cummins and Onan) the other things (A/Cs, waher/dryer, water heater, fridge) are all covered by the manufacturers of those items.

An extended warranty on a brand new coach is virtually 100% profit for the dealer/warranty broker. If something breaks, your extended warranty company will not pay, the original manufacturer will. Don't let the dealer scare you with things like "a new engine for your coach is $30K" or " you know, if that washer dryer breaks. They have to take you windshield out to remove the washer to replace it".

Once your factory warranties expire, you can explore en extended warrantee.

Just remember, free advice is worth how much you paid for it
Old 01-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
According to the Newmar Execs there will be some delays in new coaches. They are trying to get parts in to do the front axle fixes ASAP on sold coaches. Depending on where your coach is in the factory process, they may contact you and give you an option to take delivery with the promised date or delay and wait for the fix if it's soon enough.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #11

2016 Dutch Star 4018

All: Thank you for responding

I do not plan on buying a policy when I still have a manufacturer warranty. Just trying to see what other 2016 Dutch Star owners are thinking about adding a warranty after the manufacturer warranty expires.

Timewaster
We ordered our Dutch Star around mid October. Except being a little stressed for a couple weeks over the front axle issue we have been happy with Newmar so far. Our dealer sent us our coach number a few weeks after the order was in. Newmar reached out to us shortly after and we have since spoken to them a couple of times. They always have returned our phone calls. Ashley from customer service has kindly sent pictures of our coach being built this last week As for our front axle we have to bring it back for that work at a later time. Gives us a reason to come back to Northern Indiana when its a little warmer
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

Extended warrenty

I got my 4018 in late November and bought a Cornerstone 5 year 100.00 deductible warranty. I had Cornerstone on my last Coach and their service was excellent. Don't know about the others. I know you lose the first years coverage from Newmar who have been excellent in taking care of minor problems btw but I didn't want a lapse in coverage and then have to go out and get a warranty. You may save some money but for me it was piece of mind. Done check it off the list.

Quote:
All: Thank you for responding

I do not plan on buying a policy when I still have a manufacturer warranty. Just trying to see what other 2016 Dutch Star owners are thinking about adding a warranty after the manufacturer warranty expires.

Timewaster
We ordered our Dutch Star around mid October. Except being a little stressed for a couple weeks over the front axle issue we have been happy with Newmar so far. Our dealer sent us our coach number a few weeks after the order was in. Newmar reached out to us shortly after and we have since spoken to them a couple of times. They always have returned our phone calls. Ashley from customer service has kindly sent pictures of our coach being built this last week As for our front axle we have to bring it back for that work at a later time. Gives us a reason to come back to Northern Indiana when its a little warmer
jedgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #13

We had all kinds of problems with our 2013 DS during the first year we had it-- almost in the shop more than in our hands because of that I did get an extended warranty/service plan. If you get it while the coach is less than a year old ( e.g. 11 months and 3 weeks) , you get a much better deal. We got our through coach net ... it was less than $4k for 7 yrs coverage on everything with $100 deductible. So far, I've had to use it 3 times since the Newmar warranty expired and they have been very good. No delays in getting approval from the service providers .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star